Heating suggestions....help

Hi all,

I am currently looking into my next IP and it is in a very cold part of the country-sides know that heating is also a big priority for Tenants when they are renting in this particular area.

Now at the moment there is no heating as such in the house-I am wondering if anyone else on this forum has been on a similar scenario?

Most houses in the area have gas heating going into a burner and the fumes go through the roof and are expelled by a flue,the catch here is that there is no bayonet fitting in the house to connect on too.

Is getting a bayonet fitting and associated pipes complex to have installed or perhaps installing a reverse cycle system would need to be done.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also the cheapest method-after all it is an IP.

How big is the house?

Can you put in a wood fire? might be cheaper as cost about $1700. But if you have to in a bayonet and gas bottle might cost more.

2 bed house, bayonet fitting would need to be connected to town gas supply.

I did think about a wood burner,but I thought that it might put some people off due to the added expense of wood + the extra work getting wood,firelighters,and lighting the thing

A wood fire is only effective in heating a small part of the house. If you're putting in tenants it can add to the danger.

Much easier to buy in (most of) Queensland and you don't need to worry about heating... but you might have to do something about cooling :D:p.

Here in Tassie there will soon be a legal requirement to provide fixed heaters in rental housing. Usually these are electric and mounted on the wall, not sure what they would cost elsewhere or if they're even available. For our properties outside of Tassie we just put in reverse cycle air con at around $1500.

Hi all,

I am currently looking into my next IP and it is in a very cold part of the country-sides know that heating is also a big priority for Tenants when they are renting in this particular area.

Now at the moment there is no heating as such in the house-I am wondering if anyone else on this forum has been on a similar scenario?

Most houses in the area have gas heating going into a burner and the fumes go through the roof and are expelled by a flue,the catch here is that there is no bayonet fitting in the house to connect on too.

Is getting a bayonet fitting and associated pipes complex to have installed or perhaps installing a reverse cycle system would need to be done.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also the cheapest method-after all it is an IP.
Reverse-cycle systems are what we have in our house.

They work fine.

Over winter, we leave one on downstairs and one on upstairs 24/7. We set them both to 18 degrees, and occasionally pump up the temp to 19 or 20, but not often required.

Our house is a 6 star energy rating though...might be a significant factor versus an older house with single glaze windows etc.

This was at the recommendation of the electrician who installed the system. Slow, steady trickle of heat is more cost efficient than a sudden blast of hot air to warm the place up

(we have 4 in the house, but 2 are rarely used)

On the warmer parts of the day and night - they hardly ever run, and kick in now and again as required.

Make sure to use units larger than is needed for the space to be heated.

The downside will be getting the useless tenants to clean the filters each year. They (or the PM) will be hitting you up for the cost of getting it done.

I do ours about every 6 months, and the difference is quite noticeable.

It takes 5 mins per unit with a soft bristle dustpan type brush.

Thank you for all of your help everyone-if negotiations go well I think a reverse cycle will be the way to go.

You have been a great help.

Back