Help wih fan wiring

Just put up a stud wall to divide a room

The room has a ceiling fan with a light and the wall controller for the fan has a light switch but this wasn't used for the light. Instead an architrave light switch operated the light.

I have run the wires for both the fan and the architrave light switch down the new stud wall, but want to use just the fan controller to operate the fan and light.

So, from the picture attached of the back of the controller can anyone tell me where the live and neutral for the light should go?

The picture seems to get rotated after upload, but the light switch is closer to my thumb!

Many thanks.
Neil.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I think anyone who answers this runs the risk of litigation should you electrocute yourself! Get an electrician for a job like that no mater how small. You also run the risk of other people's lives if incorrectly done and the house goes up heaven forbid.

Pinkboy

I think anyone who answers this runs the risk of litigation should you electrocute yourself! Get an electrician for a job like that no mater how small. You also run the risk of other people's lives if incorrectly done and the house goes up heaven forbid.

Pinkboy

Yeah - kinda expected that sort of response pinkboy !!

I guess its just a cultural difference between the here and the UK.

All the DIY stores in the UK provide full instructions with switches etc. where as bunnings will only provide the switch and expect you to get a licensed elctrician to install it.

In the UK there is not such a strict stipulation that all wiring must be carried out by a sparky, and therefore you find many people do there own (admitedly small) wiring jobs such as changing a light switch to a dimmer etc.

Ah well, I'll try the Britishexpats site as well :) ...

since its not a basic switch and i dont know what those boxes wired in are i wouldnt have a clue

as for the UK and even NZ they actually get taught how to do it safely instead of not being allowed. and then someone in AUST tries to dodge it up thinking they know what there doing and can cause problems
i think the UK and NZ have it right
teach people how to do it rather than keep them in the dark if someone thinks they know what there doing there going to do it

The boxes are the devices that control the speed, fixed inductors that reduce ac voltage without generating a lot of heat
the terminal on the lower switch that has wires from the upper switch and one of the speed controls is being used only as a connector
remove those wires from the switch terminal, and put something like
CSC1W.jpg

screw connector, on the join, and the switch will be available to be used as a switch

lights are generally wired active to the switch, switched active line to the light, neutral to the light, commonly the power is at the fixture, fed to a two wire red/white to the switch (as fan circuit, white is conventionally a switched active in the black/red/green color scheme) and back to the fixture
red should go to central terminal white to the exposed switched terminal

Warning: The person doing the wiring was incompetent enough to do that (your pic), there is unending issues with risk, get a sparky to check there isnt something else screwy

Last edited:
That's called a BP connector and you don't need it. The light and fan switch mech. has spare holes in the back to terminate wires on. They called a loop. Beside that,you're description was wrong, you shouldn't post electrical instructions on a public forum. Especially inaccurate ones.

Neil, this isn't the UK, this is AUstralia nd you live here now. Get a sparkie to do it.

The boxes are the devices that control the speed, fixed inductors that reduce ac voltage without generating a lot of heat
the terminal on the lower switch that has wires from the upper switch and one of the speed controls is being used only as a connector
remove those wires from the switch terminal, and put something like
CSC1W.jpg

screw connector, on the join, and the switch will be available to be used as a switch

lights are generally wired active to the switch, switched active line to the light, neutral to the light, commonly the power is at the fixture, fed to a two wire red/white to the switch (as fan circuit, white is conventionally a switched active in the black/red/green color scheme) and back to the fixture
red should go to central terminal white to the exposed switched terminal

Warning: The person doing the wiring was incompetent enough to do that (your pic), there is unending issues with risk, get a sparky to check there isnt something else screwy

ignore instructions to use the loop terminal, which does not exist on a rotary fan switch
loop terminals are on light(ordinary) switches, the prior idiot did use the loop teminal on the light switch probably because some other idiot told him to do the same thing

you dont want any part of the fan wiring intermingled with, later confused with, the light wiring
some people​
repeated Warning: The person doing the wiring was incompetent enough to do that (your pic), there is unending issues with risk, get a sparky to check there isnt something else screwy

Mate, unless you're a licenced electrician you should pull your head in. Because you are wrong. And your terminology is wrong.

Most fan switch mechs have loop terminals but that one doesnt. So what, any sparkie uses the light mech loop terminals. You certainly dont need a BP connector.

Where is the danger in combining wiring on fan/light switches? There is none, unless someone is unlicensed and clueless to work it out by looking at it. A half decent 2nd year apprentice should be able to work it out and its certainly within the rules.

And i'll say it again, giving instructions for electrical wiring on a website is dangerous, even more so if you're not licenced.

ignore instructions to use the loop terminal, which does not exist on a rotary fan switch
loop terminals are on light(ordinary) switches, the prior idiot did use the loop teminal on the light switch probably because some other idiot told him to do the same thing

you dont want any part of the fan wiring intermingled with, later confused with, the light wiring
some people​
repeated Warning: The person doing the wiring was incompetent enough to do that (your pic), there is unending issues with risk, get a sparky to check there isnt something else screwy

Back