help with areas

Hi just wondering if anyone can help. Im new to this, not only this website and property buying but living in oz. Just moved over form england, landed in Sydney been here for 3 months and have decided to move to Brisbane. Unsure of area any help would be appreciated.
I am going to buy but do not know (obviously)the good areas.
Have been trying to research Burpengary, petrie,strathpine.
Thanks for anybodies help...

Hey Snoop!!

Why don't you come along to either a Freestyler or BIG (Brisbane Investing Group) meeting!!!

Freestylers is the second tuesday of the month, and you can find them at www.freestyler.net.au , and BIG is the last tuesday of the month, and if you keep an eye on meeting point on the forum you will get all the info you need.

Alternately you can send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you an email to let you know when it's on.

Hope to see you there!!!

asy :D

Hi Snoop,

Strathpine and Petrie are outer brisbane, about 25 minutes and Burpengary is Caboolture shire which is North of Brissie, about 40 minutes from CBD. Both areas have undergone major infrastructure changes over recent years. I lived at Bray Pk, which is a new suburb ( about 20 yo) of Strathpine for 5 years when I was first married and went back to Strathpine for a couple of years and left there 5 years ago. Currently live about 15 minutes away.

All depends on how much you have to spend, your investment ideals, and your family situation. The closer to the city the better for capital growth but it's getting expensive by Brisbane's standards. Strathpine area is a working class area, Caboolture is a real mix of working class and business people wanting a rural lifestyle.

There is a huge Westfield Shoppingtown currently being built at Mango Hill, not far from Petrie, Kallangur. There is also a Westfield Strathpine Shopping centre. The Caboolture rail line provides a link through all those areas.

Give me more info - style of house - $$$$ to spend - bedrooms - land size - family situation etc and if I can't help I'll put you in touch with someone who can. Go to my website, www.nundahfirstnational.com.au or email me at [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

thanks for replies

I am married 36 and have a daughter of 12.
We both have trades and have about 20,000 dollars(don't have a dollar sign).
This is all really new to me. Just in the process of reading Jan somers book. Which put me on this web site.
I had a property in England which I sold to get me over here. So a lot of the profit from that has now gone. But i am not defeated. We aren't too keen on Sydney so decided to move upto Brisbane which is where we origianlly planned. (but had friends and help here). We know we would like to be by the coast or not far. Within 30-40 mins of Brissy. Have friends that have been round the areas listed above. So have been trying to research more. We are thinking of renting one ourselves then when settled buy into a investment property. Not far from where we settle so that we can renovate ourselves.
I know I am a complete novice but hey ya have to start somewhere.
Will try and research a bit more on Strathpine. And surrounding areas. Thanks for ya help.

Have just come back from Caboolture and I was impressed by the area, with its proximity to Brissie, the sunshine coast and Bribie island/Redcliffe as well as the mountains -Woodford etc (although we did not have a chance to go west, as we were on the hunt).
Prices are pretty fluid and rising in Caboolture.
Welcome to OZ and good luck
Check out Deception Bay.
I suppose you are surfing the real estate websites
ie- http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=bhp&t=res

philby

Thanks for ya reply. This is making promising reading. All these areas I have been looking up on the net. I have to think of the job situation aswell as schools.
I am a hairdresser and my husband is a car paint sprayer. I need to be near a school for my daughter and a decent area for me to feel that my daughter is safe. I don't feel like this where I am at the moment.
We haven't got too much to invest (as said above). Will check out the areas that u have mentioned.
Thanks v m.

What does everyone think of a block of land on Russell or Macleay Island?

They are so cheap and may be worth a look. I personally wouldnt mind a shack there as a holiday house when I relocate to Brissy - or am I missing something?

Bully.

Bully,

Russell or Macleay Islands!!!

These may be great places as you say for a holiday shack but I think that Snoop needs something on the mainland.

How'd their daughter get to school? How'd they get to work? There are no bridges off either Islands according to the Brisbane UBD!! Water taxis would not come cheap.

I know that you were thinking of their limited budget (thank you) but there must be other alternatives.

Cheers,
Bmok :)

thanks

Thanks for that comment, I thought someone was taking the p---
out of my limited knowledge. i know we haven't got a lot of money and that I will have to borrow. This is why i thought of one that needs renovating and renting. Then maybe selling and doing the same again.
I also wanted to say I think people are so lucky out here that these opportunities still excist. The property and land that you get for the price you pay is just far superior than in England.
In the worst case senarior that I don't ever get my own property at least I will be in a beautiful country.

We both have trades and have about 20,000 dollars (don't have a dollar sign). - Snoop
Hi Snoop,

You may be able to setup your keyboard to access the dollar sign. I am living in London and need to switch between $'s and £'s so I went into the Control Panel and double-clicked the Keyboard option. Next, click the Language tab. Using the Add or Properties buttons you can add or change the language keyboard layouts you want to be able to select from. In the same window down the bottom you should also check Enable indicator on taskbar. Now click Apply and reboot your computer. A blue square icon should appear in your Systray to the right of your task bar ie bottom right of screen. Left click that and you will see the language options you chose earlier. Select Australian or United States english to get the $ sign. The keyboard shortcut to change assignments is left-side ALT-SHIFT.

Now look for the key that will type the $ sign. Try SHIFT-4. If not there go through all the number keys with the SHIFT command to find it. Eventually you will.

My windows platform is ME so don't know whether you can do it for earlier versions.

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Snoop,
You mention that you'd like to live 30-40 mins from the coast yet near Brisbane and all it has to offer (great city, btw)
If it's the Gold Coast you want to be nearer to, you can't go wrong with the Springwood/Shailer Park area. You can still buy a decent house around $200K and there are many good schools etc as well as transport, nice neighbourhoods etc. It's about 40 mins drive to Surfers Paradise and 20 mins to the cbd of Brissy. I lived in the region for 4 yrs and loved it. Happy Hunting!

Jacque

Thanks for that, Had been looking at northern suburbs really only because we would have a contact up there. Maybe Petrie?strathpine. Since you have lived there can I ask you 'what is it like to get into Brissy for 9am start? Cause the roads here in Sydney are really busy.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Snoop,

I've certainly done that trek, but never in Sydney to compare. By Brissie standard it's not too bad, from what I've heard of Sydney it's probably a dream run. Takes about 45-50 min from Strathpine station to Central by train or 30-40 min by car. The Brisbane council is pushing up parking rates to encourage public transport.

Kev

Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for the reply. Hope ya don't mind me asking but do you know if there are jobs locally or would it mainly mean commuting? Have been on webs for jobs but they are only advertised under brisbane.
What do you think of Petrie or Strathpine? We would like a house with land, pref brick, 3 beds, near school. Any help much appre.

Thanks .

Gee thanks Snoop,

That's a loaded question. Personally I loathe Strathpine, but we all have to start somewhere and it is where we lived when we married 15 yrs ago. Nothing necessarily wrong with it but I would prefer to be closer in.

As for jobs, that depends on what you want, I'd be glad to help if I can. Have you arrived here yet?? What do you want to do?? Full time or Part time??. If you have a resume, send it to me at [email protected]

I'll be happy to help wherever possible.

Thanks Snoop, have a great weekend.

Kev

Hiya Snoop,

I'm not sure if I missed it but I can't see where you mentioned the amount that you are willing to spend / type of housing ? If you could tell me that I might be able to suggest some areas. I also currently live in Sydney but will be moving back to Brisbane soon so I know where you are coming from (traffic wise at least).

If you can tell me the amount there might be some other options in Bris Vegas that I can suggest you have a look at ?

Cheers
PIppety

pIppety

With this being new to me I am unsure of how much exactly. We will have to borrow the money and we have about $20,000 to put down. Probably looking upto $200,000. Obviously the cheaper the better, the quicker we pay it off.
Would like to be in a similar age group area 30's. Need to be near a school for my daughter.
Work I am a hairdresser, husband is a car paint sprayer.

Help much appreciated.

Back