Helping children with times tables

I've had trouble with times tables and my daughter. She needs to learn them properly, but only seems to want to drill them with Dad.

So I've come up with a Word document which asks the questions, and gives an overview of the results.

This version only gives incorrect results- correct results had to be excluded because of space restrictions.

I imagine there's a very very small number of forumites who will beinterested in this. That's OK. It's just something I've come up with to help my daughter, and I hope that it may be of help to somebody else somewhere.

Attachments

• times tables2.doc
    90 KB · Views: 155
Geoffw, geoffw, geoffw........

Don't you know it is still school holidays!!!!

Play, fun, TV, PC games, pool , beach etc etc........

BTW I downloaded the file for use with my 7yo, but couldn't figure it out (how to use it that is, not the tables!)

Cheers

Joe D

It should be that you open the file, and then click on the button which says "Times Tables".

If you don't have that button, there may be problems.

Geoff,

This looks an interesting little file.
But I also don't seem to have the button that says times tables.
It doesn't seem to work

As for comments about school holidays etc - I find
- schools don't teach pure maths very well - and dont tell parents how good/bad your child is in this - but they do do many other things in maths that I would have trouble teaching.
- doing things with your children - (especially prior to teanage years) - children love, and also points out the importance of something - if done properly improves the childs respect for the (boring etc) subject - can also improve the parent child relationship if done with a 'air' of sort of fun, or even better outright fun (however I cant find a lot of fun in learning tables myself)
(ok - better get of my soap box)

As you may supose, I too have a daughter that is doing the times tables thing, and another two children yet to pass through this stage.

There are some internet sites that I have also found useful - one in particular that I use in a regemented way sort of like Kumon does. I have forced my child through Kumon maths this year - and have felt pressure because of the considerable amount of money this system costs. I can recommend it as a system - if you as a parent can not be too pressuered by the money it costs. It has got adequate results - and taught me a bit about routines. But the finances are getting at me - and I am now doing my own thing - provided I can keep the sort of 'system' I have developed up.

I will post info on the internet sites I thought usefull in another post - hopefully soon - if anyone is interested.

Also games that involve adding (including 'money' games) are good. Yatzee is a good one. Beware of money games (and other games) that the aspect of losing is not made too painful, and to maintain a good enjoyment level - regardless of who comes 'first'.

That way they are more likely to play again.

Ooops - I'm back on my soap box.

JAM

Sorry about the missing button.

Try-

Tools, Unprotect Document

then

Tools, Macro, Macros- and double click on "Show Times Tables"

Hi Geoff,
Grea idea for an age old problem!! I hate to say it....but if only the kids were drilled like we were! I amaze my kids with my times tables knowledge!!

My PC is telling me that my macros and disabled. I have no idea how to enable them. Any suggestions???
Thanks

Mrs Chris1

Originally posted by chris1
Hi Geoff,
Grea idea for an age old problem!! I hate to say it....but if only the kids were drilled like we were! I amaze my kids with my times tables knowledge!!

My PC is telling me that my macros and disabled. I have no idea how to enable them. Any suggestions???
Thanks

Mrs Chris1
To enable macros-

. Close the Times Tables document (if enabled)
. Tools, Macro, Security, Medium
. Open the Times Tables document
. Click on the "Enable macros" button

Note- if you don't know where a document comes from, and you get this message, click on "Disable macros" button. Macros are programs, and they can carry viruses. (I promise mine does not have a virus).

I have a confession to make.

I don't remember the times table anymore. My keyboard has a "calculator" button and I hit that to do my calculations. :eek:

Originally posted by muppie
I have a confession to make.

I don't remember the times table anymore. My keyboard has a "calculator" button and I hit that to do my calculations. :eek:
It always helps to be able to do some of the sums- say, at the supermarket, or when buying bigger ticket items.

I went to buy some furniture for two units on the weekend. I told them the four items to buy, and asked them the best price. I did not have the total price in my head. They came back, and told me the price, and I said OK.

I saved $3 over $2.6K. Doh.

I used to own a calculator watch. That was good for some things, but a bit fiddly. One day, we had a team meeting with our boss,

A colleague started pressing the buttons on my watch calculator in the middle of the meeting!

I'm with Chris here. Learning times tables by rote seemed to work well for us. Quick, what's 7x8=?
See, the automatic reply was drummed into you so well that it's purely second nature to know them. Well, those of us born before 1980 anyway :)

Originally posted by Jacque
I'm with Chris here. Learning times tables by rote seemed to work well for us. Quick, what's 7x8=?
See, the automatic reply was drummed into you so well that it's purely second nature to know them. Well, those of us born before 1980 anyway :)
I must be the odd one out here, well before 1980, but could never learn my times tables.

Thanks Geoff, i'll download this for my 7yr old daughter, we decided to concentrate on times tables last week, after she told me she was behind the others in that area.. More than a very very few may be interested after all.

Now 7x8 ? thats 7x10= 70, then takeaway 7x2 thats 14, so final result = 70-14= 56 !! :D :D

Originally posted by geoffw
It always helps to be able to do some of the sums- say, at the supermarket, or when buying bigger ticket items.

Isn't that one of the reasons you carry a mobile phone with you?

bundy

Originally posted by bundy1964
Isn't that one of the reasons you carry a mobile phone with you?

bundy
That's OK when my wife is at home on the computer when I'm out shopping, so that she can work the sums out for me. But sometimes she's out shopping with me :D

Oh dear, perhaps I just had a strict rote teaching educator in Yr 2 and 3. I can remember drilling them every morning, just after prayers....... :)

Back