Hervey bay

Has anyone on here looked at or has an IP in hervey bay? There is a bit of money being spent up there 80million dollar stockland shopping centre 100million dollar hospital expansion. I know it's seen as a bit of a retirement area but is this signs of growth? Or a town catching up?

Has anyone on here looked at or has an IP in hervey bay? There is a bit of money being spent up there 80million dollar stockland shopping centre 100million dollar hospital expansion. I know it's seen as a bit of a retirement area but is this signs of growth? Or a town catching up?
Go back inland to Marybough,and from what i'm told they intend to auction off over 20 properties for unpaid rates,from my experience
25% pay on the morning or the prior day,and inbetween the legal people-police-and the arguments from the crowd who are about to lose their property it will be a interesting day in about a week or so..imho..

http://www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au/tenders

I looked at Hervey Bay for an IP, Good growth prospects, Was to told to stay beach side of boat harbour drive. The rates and water are very high in my opinion.

I have had family buy in Hervey Bay for 20 odd years, holiday there once a year (great place for small kids because of the shallow, no wave bay). It seems to me to be very cyclical, and when it booms things go well. But, check out most of the unit developments - lots of receiverships - never a good sign.

Interesting demographic of permanent population also.

Unless things have moved lately, the property within a few blocks of the beach has not gotten back to pre-2008 levels.

As a get in get out when the market is running hot, seems great. As a long term hold it always makes me nervous.

Go back inland to Marybough,and from what i'm told they intend to auction off over 20 properties for unpaid rates,from my experience
25% pay on the morning or the prior day,and inbetween the legal people-police-and the arguments from the crowd who are about to lose their property it will be a interesting day in about a week or so..imho..

http://www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au/tenders

Umm that was on yesterday!. There were 13 houses on the list, the rest was land. One had sold previous weekend at auction.

unemployment rate for the region is +10%. Prices have come down significantly!

You get better returns in maryborough but i see the gains in hervey bay better over the long term. Not sure what the occupancy rate is like though, as i dont have a ip here. I will be investing in maryborough in around 6-12 months.. need to get off mat leave in order to get servicing. I will be getting something under the 150K mark, and do it up seeing i live here and can manage it.

I live in maryborough.

I live in HB as a renter atm. In terms of occupancy, every time we have to move there are heaps of groups going through every viewing. And then, it's a rush to the real estate agent. Perhaps it's just the houses i'm willing to live in, but if it's any food for thought.

On the downside, it's impossible to get work up here....I was fine, but the lady struggled big time. I'm sure this is a basic question, but if anyone could entertain my ignorance for a tick?? Both houses I've lived in whilst up here were owned by miners. And the neighbour was a FIFO chap. I'm curious to see what happens once mining slows down. What will this do to the market? Also, given the slowly falling AUD, and this being a bit of a tourist area, what kind of flow on will this have on property if any???

It is a bit of a tourism backwater. Maybe OK for natives but hardly the kind of place for your international tourists to visit alongside the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Kakadu or Sydney.

I have heard that some miners like it as a place to live because it is so cheap. O and it is a bloody nice place to live.

It is a bit of a tourism backwater. Maybe OK for natives but hardly the kind of place for your international tourists to visit alongside the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Kakadu or Sydney.

I have heard that some miners like it as a place to live because it is so cheap. O and it is a bloody nice place to live.

Fair few use it as a stop over for Fraser. Which is up there on the must sees.

It's a cheap place to live if you don't need to work, have a government job, or a government handout. Otherwise your family income goes down with the purchase/rental price.

If it was the Sunshine Coast, some of the properties would be worth a fortune. But it's not the Sunshine Coast.

I like Hervey Bay, but even some oldies have told me that it's too boring for them.

Haggle hard I reckon.

Guy and Adam think its an ok place to live;)

Back