Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

After 5 days of negotiations, another buyer also competing and one decision made by flipping a coin my offer has been accepted (subject to finance).

I don't have much hard facts for you until we bed it down more.

The block is 249sqm zoned R80 which allows 249sqm of building on it 1:1ratio. It is a nice regular shape and flat with street frontage to a park. It does have a sewer line within its border that we need to work around.

The vision is to build a 70sqm apartment (2 bed 2 bath) on the bottom/ground floor with 3 car bays and a visitor bay. Second floor will hold 2 apartments which are 85sqm which should be 3 bedroom 2 bath.

Estimate cost: 1.2m
Estimate rental rates (at 2012 rates) $500pw for smaller $600pw for 3 bed. $800pw furnished shorter term let.
Estimated sale value (at 2012 rates) $500k for smaller, $600k for larger = 1.7m

The plan is to sell one and keep 2 and probably rent one furnished and one unfurnished. I have a $50k CGT tax loss from selling a property to my Trust so I will carry that forward and use that to offset CGT on selling one.

Update on figures.

I now have a base design which we will continue to work on after New Years. It will have 3 apartments with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. And it is sooo beautiful.

First official rental valuation done (off plan)
2 bedroom + 2 bathroom $650-750 per week

If I have worked it out correctly that is 8.5% yield working on $650 pw. If I can get $750 then it would be close to 10%. Loan repayment is $6000 (working at 6%) and gross income is $8500 (at $650pw). It should still be CF+ nett.

Update on figures.

I now have a base design which we will continue to work on after New Years. It will have 3 apartments with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. And it is sooo beautiful.

First official rental valuation done (off plan)
2 bedroom + 2 bathroom $650-750 per week

If I have worked it out correctly that is 8.5% yield working on $650 pw. If I can get $750 then it would be close to 10%. Loan repayment is $6000 (working at 6%) and gross income is $8500 (at $650pw). It should still be CF+ nett.

In this case I would not sell any of these units and just access equity. Its a win/win.

In this case I would not sell any of these units and just access equity. Its a win/win.

I'm leaning towards keeping them all in my hoarding pile :D. I need to pay off a LOC that I'm using for 20% deposit but I might be able to get rid of that with a re-val of Highgate when it's completed.

Update on Sales Valuation

First sales valuation has come through (I'm having 2 done) just to get some quasi unbiased assessment of the development. I take all REA figures with a grain of salt and I don't require these for the bank but it's part of my due diligence process.

From my original post

Estimated sale value (at 2012 rates) $500k for smaller, $600k for larger = 1.7m

Hold onto your hats .......................

70sqm 2 bed, 2 bath apartment low $500,000s
90sqm 2 bed, 2 bath apartment mid $500,000s
90sqm 3 bed, 2 bath apartment low-mid $600,000s

I find this quote from the REA *very* interesting. The second 2 apartments are exactly the same size, just different tweaking to fit in a 3rd bedroom but it's worth significantly more. I'm surprised but not surprised - does that make sense? Logically I know an extra bedroom is worth more but I was expecting that it would come at a price of having to provide extra square meterage (ie be larger).

Aaron might be rechained to the design desk to make sure we can squeeze in that 3rd bedroom.

The second 2 apartments are exactly the same size, just different tweaking to fit in a 3rd bedroom but it's worth significantly more.

Those figures sounds like around what I would have guessed. Prospective buyers tend to look at bed/bath/carspace figures first and then square meterage a lot later.

In fact, I would say a fair few don't even ask about the size of the apartment until AFTER they view it - which means a well designed layout might hide the fact that it is actually smaller than they expected.

Hi Westminster,

Apologies if I have this wrong.

The buy price was approx 500k and the build cost is 1.2m, so total is 1.7. The sum of your estimated sale prices for your apartments is about 1.7-1.8m based on:

Would this be a risky investment given that you don't have 20% margin? Or is your 'estimated cost' inclusive of purchase price?

Again, apologies if I have it wrong :)

Hi Westminster,

Apologies if I have this wrong.

The buy price was approx 500k and the build cost is 1.2m, so total is 1.7. The sum of your estimated sale prices for your apartments is about 1.7-1.8m based on:

Would this be a risky investment given that you don't have 20% margin? Or is your 'estimated cost' inclusive of purchase price?

Again, apologies if I have it wrong :)

Yes wrong, but don't worry :) Total land + construction will be around $1.2m. I won't have build price for another week or 2 but I'm pretty sure it's around that.
Margin should be around 40%

Yes wrong, but don't worry :) Total land + construction will be around $1.2m. I won't have build price for another week or 2 but I'm pretty sure it's around that.
Margin should be around 40%

Thanks ahha yes your 1.2 was including the 0.5. Makes sense, and a very good investment indeed :)

Should have no problem getting that rent, especially with all these 457s coming to Perth!

Well done Westminster, ... I love hearing of people willing to push the boundaries. I'm not sure I have the courage or the vision to do what you are doing just yet, but one day who knows. I need to network more with developers to gain further knowledge from those that know. I've just got to find them ... :p

All the very best of luck with the project and thank you for sharing so that we can all be inspired.

Mystery

Great day :)

Went and visited my builder this morning and talked construction methods, pricing expectations, options, his preferences and next steps.

Then went and saw Aaron and threw a spanner in his design works and asked him to change the design around an idea I wanted to try for parking. He didn't throttle me :D The parking solution really takes up less space - so much so we could throw budget out the window and add a pool if I want to. Potentially gained a 4m x 9 or so metre area - could make a communal garden, pool area, veggie patch etc.

Back