Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

what's the parking idea? one of those parklift/carlift type things?

Triple garage somewhat like the ROW ones but with 5m in front which will allow tandem parking or visitor parking. It does mean that cars have to exit in reverse gear instead of forward gear. Parking then takes up 90sqm instead of approx 140sqm.

CoV need to *love* the idea. It will take a major sell of the upsides which is additional landscaping/soft areas, additional parking and ummmm I'm sure we'll come up with something more to justify it :)

<insert happy sigh>

I have a new design from Aaron that he sent me this afternoon. The pool musings might have been a little too overconfident but it now has a easier design.

Voice your thoughts on
a. one flat per floor (i.e. 3 floors)
vs
b. one flat on ground and then 2 flats above over 2 floors - living on middle floor, bedrooms on 3rd floor.

I'm warming to the perceived (or actual!) upsides of one apartment per floor. It's very penthouse/exclusive thinking - it's also very practical for plumbing ducts and layouts.

1 per floor for ppl who dont want internal stairs
It also sounds a bit neater to say what floor you have rather than what unit

Soon you'll be able to see the proposed design. Aaron is chained to the desk and when he's finished I'll show you the vision.

In the meantime you can see the elevation.

Ground Floor: 2bed 2bath apartment with front and rear courtyards
Middle Floor: 3 bed 2 bath apartment with 2 front balconies
Top Floor: 3 bed, 2 bath apartment with 2 front balconies and raked ceilings

Check out all the windows! The block faces a really nice park (and possibly city skyline views) so there is a lot of glazing to bring in light and views.

Attachments

• CONCEPT2.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 453
Also an update on settlement - yup we have no settled on the block and are in 'golden time'.

The O&A was 14 days finance approval then 28 days from finance or from titles being issued on the block. The vendor thought titles would be before Christmas but welcome to Perth :) Last I heard they were waiting on sewerage works last week then they could apply for titles.

Any and every days delay on their behalf extends my golden time of being able to plan and do as much as possible before actually having to pay the holding costs/mortgage.

The plan is to arrange the construction loan before settlement as well. We will be cutting it fine on that though as Aaron still has design work to do then it will take my builder at least 2 weeks to price up. Then the bank will need to value and agree/arrange paperwork etc.

So fingers crossed there is enough time to do it.

We can apply for Development Approval before settlement if we are ready to do so.

It would be nice to be building by mid year. :D

Also an update on settlement - yup we have no settled on the block and are in 'golden time'.

The O&A was 14 days finance approval then 28 days from finance or from titles being issued on the block. The vendor thought titles would be before Christmas but welcome to Perth :) Last I heard they were waiting on sewerage works last week then they could apply for titles.

Any and every days delay on their behalf extends my golden time of being able to plan and do as much as possible before actually having to pay the holding costs/mortgage.

The plan is to arrange the construction loan before settlement as well. We will be cutting it fine on that though as Aaron still has design work to do then it will take my builder at least 2 weeks to price up. Then the bank will need to value and agree/arrange paperwork etc.

So fingers crossed there is enough time to do it.

We can apply for Development Approval before settlement if we are ready to do so.

It would be nice to be building by mid year. :D

Hey Westminster,
The City of Vincent require the Form 1 to be signed by the proprietor so it may be in your best interests to get them to sign a blank one as soon as you can if you want to submit the DA before settlement.
Other planning dept's will sometimes let you simply provide proof that you will be the new owner (copy of sale contract) but not Vincent! :(

Boods

Hey Westminster,
The City of Vincent require the Form 1 to be signed by the proprietor so it may be in your best interests to get them to sign a blank one as soon as you can if you want to submit the DA before settlement.
Other planning dept's will sometimes let you simply provide proof that you will be the new owner (copy of sale contract) but not Vincent! :(

Boods

Thanks Boods. I had assumed they would be same as CofS who let me apply for DA with a Sales Contract but Aaron advised me that they might not. I rang CofV earlier today to get the lowdown and they said they might let me apply if I could supply a dealings number from Landgate (along with Sales Contract).
I shall see if the Vendors are willing to sign a blank one - I need to carefully consider this as I don't want them being privvy to what I'm up to :)

ta-daaa!

Here is the concept design for my block.

As you know the block is a mere 249sqm and has a sewer main running through it - you can see on the design that it's not a simple sewer line running near the fence line but it is actually a good 5m in tapering to 3m in from the fence.

Knowing all that I still wanted the block as I knew it had massive potential.

These plans are of course subject to change and are not approved by Council but are the basis and vision of what I want for the block.

Aaron has done a great job translating what I want and making it all fit. Here's to getting it through Council without too much hassle and objections.

Attachments

• CONCEPT C copy.pdf
    245.4 KB · Views: 498
if they're over on settlement, say you need to lodge your townhouse design with council and won't slap them with penalties if they sign the (blank) form to allow you to lodge within your projected timeline.

and thanks for the kind words :)

What professionals did you use to estimate the building value and expected rents?

Real estate agents? or someone else?

Ash.

What professionals did you use to estimate the building value and expected rents?

Real estate agents? or someone else?

Ash.

Ash I used 2 real estate agents for sales value and 2 property managers for rental appraisals.
Plus of course my own investigations on current values.

Tiny update: the first meeting of the year for CofV Design Advisory Committee is 6th March (!!!!)

Weeeeeeell that is disappointing it's not sooner. I've put the project on the Agenda and will now try and progress with DA in the meantime if I can get the Vendor to sign the application.

Note to self: *everything* is slower over summer.

Back