Hip replacement

hi all,

My mother-inlaw is going in for a hip replacement next month :eek:

I am a really bad daughter-inlaw, previously I have brought presants for birthdays etc and they havent been greatly received ie. she loves Princess Diana, I got her a book, the one written by the butler, I got her a mag subcription, she likes true storey mags not hollywood gossip.

So cause we live about 5ooo km away I am keen to get her something to make her stay in hospital abit nicer.

The in laws struggle a bit and they think flowers are a waste. So I am at abit of a loss what to send!

Any ideas would be much appreciated!! :D

If she is at all into crafts type stuff how about something she can after the operation eg one of those needlepoint pictures (I am sure they have ones on the royal family too) Or if she is into family photos you could get her a scrapbooking starter kit which she can use with some of her own family photos.

Or if she is young at heart a hand held gameboy type game (have no idea what they are called). Joking really don't think she would like that.

If she likes true crime stories (like I do) get her a couple of those books. Get the bigger size paperback ones as they have a bigger font and easier to read and prop up in bed.

If she does any knitting at all get some really good quality wool for her (the sort she normally wouldn't buy for herself).

Hope this all helps:)

Does she watch TV. Pay for the TV rental while she is there.:)

Still grumpy offer to set up a Pre-Payed funeral where she only pays a few dollars a week:eek: (JUST JOKIN);)

Gee Cee

Looking at expanding business opportunities to get baby boomers $$$ !

Hand cream is nice too. lovely hand spa pampering cream and a pretty nail file.

Hip operations tend to only be 3 or 4 days, then you are home. :)

thanks for the ideas! I like the pre paid funeral one ( will probably end up paying for it anyway!)

Think I might do the TV rental and some nice bodyshop skin care! I can only try!!

:D

After the operation she may not want to read for a week or so as it is a big operation, but by then she may be able to go home.
maybe think about something she can use do at home ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but thats just the practical side of a male..........sory not much help

if she is really that practical, she could do with some of these:
(this is actually a serious list of stuff people really need...though don't really classify as presents )

an over toilet frame. when you get a hip replacement, it isn't recommended you bend your hip past 90 degrees for the first few months. getting up and down off the dunny can be a challenge

pay for some rails beside the toilet. these are great for getting up and down when your leg is weak and sore.

hire a stationery bicycle or a heated swimming pool pass. all excellent therapy for the hip.

a couple of visits to a physio who does massage. a couple of weeks after the op, she'd benefit from massage. the gluteal muscles get torn a bit in surgery. And the massage takes the cords of tightness out of the muscles. which is very relieving. even better if the physio has a hot spa for moving the leg around in. very soothing.

two wireless walkie talkie devices. She'll probably not want to get up as often. If her partner is in another room, she can just talk to him on the handset. you can get these really cheap nowadays.

a device for picking things up off the floor. there's these sticks with a claw on the end and a squeezeable handle on the top. she won't be able to bend down or squat or crouch to the floor....they sell these things in independent living shops. these things are good for putting your socks on too. she'll need laceless shoes too.

hire or purchase of a kermode. this is a portable toilet container thta sits in a seat frame, that goes beside the bed. she can just slide out of bed onto it, do her busiess and back to sleep. getting up at night and walking around in dim light is when a lot of repeat falls happen. people can be unsteady in their balance or weak in their legs or have low back pain for months after hip op. so better not to have to go to the tut in the middle of the night.

Back