Home Alone

From the Canberra Times today:-

* There are 31000 lone person households in the ACT - 25.8% of all dwellings.
* The ABS projects there will be between 2.4million and 3.4million Australians living alone by 2021 - up from 1.8 million in 2001.
* More women live alone than men.
* Australia's average household size in 2011 (2.5 pople) is likely to be smaller than New Zealand and Japan's (2.6).

Taking the above into account, should our IP purchases be towards smaller low maintenance dwellings?

Thoughts please.

regards
Bawley

bawley said:
Taking the above into account, should our IP purchases be towards smaller low maintenance dwellings?

There are changes ahead and our youth who may not be able to buy their own property will accept renting as a way of life.

What sort of 'smaller low maintenance' dwellings would 'easily rent' and assure capital growth ?. Units, townhouses, condo's, terrace house's ...

Is a condo like a toenhouse ?

Is this already happening ?

Bawley,

I don't think I have answered your question rather expand it.

G'day WillG

I thought condo's where apartments in Florida.

With the amount of Apartment and Townhouse developments going on I think it is a safe bet that higher density living is the direction Australia is heading.

There will have to be winners and losers, I think it will depend on the suburbs that the developments are built in. Personally I'm looking at townhouses, buy older 1950's or 60's places and look at developing them in the next 5 years, there are lots of seaside suburbs in Adelaide with older houses and good size blocks, you can stick a nice townhouse 3br with a courtyard and very very low maintenance both garden and building.

cheers
quoll

bawley said:
Bawley

The trend is already happening, so, certainly you should consider it.
Although I would put more emphasis on the low maintenace than the small.

Baby boomers looking to free up time don't want to live in dog boxes, but they seem to be tired of mowing lawns.

Another area of growth along this lines is small houses close to parks, where the council has the upkeep costs of the grounds.

This is happening big time near me in Clifton Hill (Melb), where small terrace houses close to the abundant parks are being bought up by young families.

GarryK

Back