Home Buyer Strike

I don't see that they're using the same data, they seem to be using completely different data. Particularly the comments regarding increased utilisation are unique to CommSec. I haven't had a chance to look for their source yet.
The bit about Melbourne picking up but Sydney being the massive under-supply basket case followed by Brisbane is common.

Sydney is geographically bound by the Blue Mountains in the West and burdened with red tape that costs far too much to bring green field sites to market. Not going to improve any time soon. In the meantime, the population of Sydney just keeps growing...

Cheers,
Michael

The bit about Melbourne picking up but Sydney being the massive under-supply basket case followed by Brisbane is common.

Sydney is geographically bound by the Blue Mountains in the West and burdened with red tape that costs far too much to bring green field sites to market. Not going to improve any time soon. In the meantime, the population of Sydney just keeps growing...

Cheers,
Michael

Victoria has supply side incentives that were always going to cause new supply to come on line. The state gov has regional grants for FHB buying new as well as less generous ones in the city.

I agree with you on Sydney with respect to red tape but it is not a physical shortage of land "hemmed in" by the blue mountains which is the problem at all.

Look at this place:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kellyville-106757259

OK its not zoned residential blocks yet but I would agree with the agent that it is a walk up start in the next 5 years.

So 5 acres at a rate of 3 per acre, keeping a bit for parks and roads and the blocks at 450sq.m a piece typical for kellyville. So 15 housing blocks for 2.75million.

Take off the value in the existing dwelling say 200k? it looks OK.

2.55million divide 15

170k per raw unfinished lot. This seems to be about where kellyville was when there was alot more available with sites fully mapped out for sale 15 to 18 months ago.

Anyway 170k per lot is pretty expensive when beyond kellyville there are massive near limitless paddocks of land available to house about 50% of the entire area of Sydney! Take a few (about 50) years to use that up even if it was all released now!

Now go somewhere where there is no likeliehood of getting a development up in your lifetime due to their consolidation decision in NSW like Sackville or Maroota and see what you can get for 1.8million?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-nsw-sackville-2793513

125acres of pristine grazing land. Don't like the sound of the conservation area... But much of sackville is free of this issue. Now there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of developing this into resi!

Consider now the premium for residentially rubber stamped blocks or potential resi lots in Sydney, agree there is an amenity / value difference too betweeen Sackville and Kellyville but nothing a freeway for 2bn to hornsby would not fix. Give a developer the right to develop all of Sackville and they would make a quid in the current market even if they had to build the freeway! Anyway the premium is no where near the factor of 10 apparent in the 2 market prices in my opinion and much of it is a regulatory premium coming about from government land release or more accurately a lack of government residential land release growth planning etc.

Where am I taking this: The government through restricted release of land has caused a regulatory premium of upwards of 100k per lot in Sydney. Sure people hoard land for price appreciation but who wouldn't when you know the government is so slack at land release it can only go one way...

If they released just 10% of the remaining cumberland basin we don't need a home buyer strike, we would have increased building activity, more affordable existing homes in time, massive government revenue granted they will have to invest in a big way into infrastructure probably spending all of this, but if they want a go ahead economy in NSW then this is one way they could achieve it. I like to think that one day they will get there heads around the side affect of their urban consolidation plans, probably at the threat of a recession (like 50% stamp duty exemption for new this was good while it lasted!) and it will be good for the economy but bad for house prices in Sydney more than any other capital in Australia due to its ridiculous land use policy, implementation of policy...

I fear however they will just let Sydney wither on the vine as far as population growth goes, but granted stopping any new development is the single best thing they can do for property appreciation... Anyway young professionals over time will opt as I have to move elsewhere because the pay is the same in our other capitals but the living better. Fine if you own your home pre 2000 in Sydney if not why the hell would you stay there? Makes Perth look positively affordable living and the irony is Perth is the one with the recent price falls and look of a place that might even suffer some more over the next 6 months.

$170k per wholesale lot?!?!?!?! how on earth is that even attractive?

geez louise, we're fiding it tough to put deals together at $80k wholesale.

$170k per wholesale lot?!?!?!?! how on earth is that even attractive?

geez louise, we're fiding it tough to put deals together at $80k wholesale.

Well because they sell the finished blocks for 400k plus a piece.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/pr...le,+nsw+2155;+/map-1?includeSurrounding=false

But before you jump on a plane and start they have the following costs:

state gov levy 350k per hectare
local council levy approx 20k per lot.
so about 100k per finished lot of taxes when you also include GST on improved value.

So 170k plus 100k of taxes plus 80k of raw actual costs of development it is not as lucrative as it first appears. 340k costs and with the slack approvals process plus such a big outlay upfront on the land (front heavy on your expenses) rather than backend heavy in the construction process.

I am not surprised Sydney has supply side issues and expensive homes.

The thing is though a market like this is not necessarily sustainable. One day the gov will release a few too many blocks or to encourage activity reduce their take and down the whole thing will fall in a heap. Markets based on massive regulation premiums are unstable and can move quickly and decisively. Far better they are left to the market. Look at the drug trade, indeed I think many Sydneysiders have more tolerance of drug traffikers than developers...

I am disgusted at all the rhetoric from governments about housing affordability when in Sydney it is as clear as mud the government is the problem! Sure kill the taxes and there will be windfall profits for a time, but eventually the market will see prices come back to costs plus fair margin. Development is too fractured a game from what I can tell for cartels to operate effectively. Make it cost 200k more with regulation and taxes than it should to develop blocks and clearly the prices are going to end up 200k more than they should be in a more natural greenfields market like Perth.

It is not physical constraints on land supply, this is Australia we have cheap land as long as it is incapable of being developed. It is a government that has made it way too difficult to develop. And the people of Sydney rejoice as their house prices go up. Governments rubbishing developers seems to be a vote winner and as long as this trend continues it is hard to see things improving in Australia on the affordability stakes or when they do improve it will be forced upon us and falling from some regulatory height back to a natural cost plus fair margin will be very painfull for housing and the broader economy.

that's NZ's macro economist Shamubeel Eaqub (that's shamooble ekub) arguing renting makes more sense than buying at 6 times income levels - based purely on that.

hmmm....where have i heard that before......? oh that's right.

Some guy who sold his apartment to rent only to see the value of said apartment rise by 20% in his predicted falling market.

once again, pumping variables into macro economics.

Same data, different take on it:
Real estate tale of two cities
But what do I know, clearly there is no shortage...
But if I were a betting man, and I am, I'd be placing my resi property bets in Sydney right now. Oh wait, I am!! :D
Cheers,
Michael
Shortage of 200,000 dwellings? Average number of people per dwelling is around 2.6 so that means an extra 520,000 people either on the street or in temporary accommodation due to this shortage since it started?

Seriously who believes this rubbish? :rolleyes:

Don't you think rental vacancies and stock on market would be dropping if supply was tight?

The South Australian capital has a vacancy rate of 2.9 per cent, which leaves Canberra as the only capital city with tight supply (a vacancy rate of 1.7 per cent).

Melbourne and Brisbane have vacancies above 5 per cent, Perth is 4.2 per cent and the average across the eight capital cities is 4.1 per cent.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus.../story-e6frg9gx-1225912980273?from=public_rss

In other news, SQM Research has updated its stock on market index for the month of September. Total listings rose for all capital cities except for Darwin. This was to be expected given we have now entered into the spring selling season. Nationally, there were 308,500 residential properties advertised, which was up by 5.1% compared to August. Perth recorded the highest month on month rise of 13.5% to 19,447 listings.
http://sqmresearch.com.au/lists/archive.php?x=93&listID=2&layoutID=1&pagerows=20&pagenum=1

that's NZ's macro economist Shamubeel Eaqub (that's shamooble ekub) arguing renting makes more sense than buying at 6 times income levels - based purely on that.

hmmm....where have i heard that before......? oh that's right.

Some guy who sold his apartment to rent only to see the value of said apartment rise by 20% in his predicted falling market.

once again, pumping variables into macro economics.
What does it matter if the price falls below Steve Keen's sale price within 15 years?

it's like saying "i'll have a car crash in the next 10 years".
It's not comparable at all. You mitigate the risk of a car crash by having insurance. The liability from a car crash is open ended. The liability from a housing crash is limited to the sum invested / loan amount contracted. I'm not an actuary so I can't comment on the probability of you having a car crash.

" Perth recorded the highest month on month rise of 13.5% to 19,447 listings. "

wow I had no idea that listings had blown out so high! that's an incredible amount of property to clear

Back