Hong Kong Democracy Protests

What's a fundamental human right? Would you rather be in Jakarta which has a right to vote, or Hong Kong which does not but has first world living standards? Hong Kong is not second best by any means. It is probably the top ranked international city in the entire Asia-Pacific region (yes far eclipsing Sydney).

Of course I've read 1984 and Animal Farm etc.

Living standards have nothing to do with it. The question is freedom - of speech (Chinese censors have clearly read 1984) and to elect my own government. I would rather live without my wealth if it meant freedom for myself and my children.

I don't doubt many older Chinese would think that is insane. It is good their children see things more clearly. If we all felt that way we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy now. Both world wars were only won because people sacrificed their own lives for the freedom of others.

I can understand too. Blocking major streets and disrupting the city is not the way to do it. Can you imagine if uni kids blocked off Pitt St, George St etc and basically made the Sydney CBD unfunctionable for weeks because Abbott is cutting Youth Allowance?

Another irrelevant point. In Australia we get a chance to have our say at the ballot box. Try to take that away from us and I reckon the vast majority of the population would be out on the streets.

Providing good quality living is the most important thing for any government, and the HK Government has done that well. Speaking from the perspective of a Hong Kong permanent resident/citizen too mind you.

www.discuss.com.hk

Time to read what the read Hong Kong people are thinking.

On 1st of July this year, we just had half a million protesters went on the street and told the government we wanted a universal suffrage.

However, in August china denied the right of universal suffrage, which led to the protest this time.

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect that. But don't criticize others as spoilt rotten kids just because they joined the protest for democracy.

Speaking from the perspective of a HK permanent resident currently in HK too mind you.

On 1st of July this year, we just had half a million protesters went on the street and told the government we wanted a universal suffrage.

However, in August china denied the right of universal suffrage, which led to the protest this time.

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect that. But don't criticize others as spoilt rotten kids just because they joined the protest for democracy.

Speaking from the perspective of a HK permanent resident currently in HK too mind you.

So what do you think will happen as the whole world is watching as this may be historical times,good luck..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6bbnIwX6U

We are staying away from areas where protests are occurring.

Public Holiday in HK today and the scheduled sky works over Victoria Bay have been cancelled... boo hoo.... we miss out.

We fly home tomorrow and even though protests are not near where we are staying or airport we have been advised to leave early as not sure what will happen tomorrow, how long it could take to get to the airport.

Sounds like it was a memorable holiday. Something to tell the kids and grandkids in the years to come. The day we were in Hong Kong when the tear gas and tears flowed. Beats the usual binge eating and shopping.

So what do you think will happen as the whole world is watching as this may be historical times,good luck..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6bbnIwX6U

To be honest, I don't think it gonna change anything. We are asking for democracy under the control of the party of Communist. It is pretty much the same as fighting for sexual equity under the control of Taliban.

But now if we don't come out and say something, who would?

The world is watching, especially Taiwan. It will be harder and harder for china to unite with Taiwan.

Starting to get a little worried as I fly out Saturday week for a work conference.

Its fine, I just got back from Hong Kong and protesters ended up on our street, Canton Road. May just expect some delays depending on where you are located.

the protests got nothing to do with freedom, it's just an event sponsored by USA to cause trouble for China.

Lets go through some examples:

1) Egypt - They ousted Mubarak. Who came to power? Islamists. After some time people got sick of their "freedom" and asked military to take charge.

2) Lybia. They ousted Gaddafi. Now there is freedom for everyone with a gun to rape women, rob and kill. The fighting still continues, the state literally fell apart into zones controlled by warlords or local militia. Islamists captured the capital.

3) Syria. Hundreds of thousands dead, millions are displaced. You are now free to live under shariah laws in some places held by so called freedom fighters. The territories 'freed' from Assad became breeding grounds for ISIL and Al Qaeda. Australia now has to send troops and planes to clean up results of this fight for freedom.

4) Ukraine. Neo-nazis come to power as a result of the coup under the banner of fight for freedom. You are now not allowed to express yourself unless your opinion matches the official line. Certain TV channels are banned. There are open calls to report to secret services anyone who doesn't agree with government actions. When people in the south-east decided to protest following this 'no taxation without representation' mantra, the government labelled them terrorists, arrested the activists, and has sent army in with heavy weapons with the support of US and Europe, as well as Tony Abbot. So the cities are now shelled daily by ukrainian army and so called volunteer units. War crimes are being committed every day.

5) Hong Kong. ?

I know i'd rather live in Hong Kong with no representation, than in any of those 4 countries that recently have been 'freed'

the protests got nothing to do with freedom, it's just an event sponsored by USA to cause trouble for China.

Lets go through some examples:

1) Egypt - They ousted Mubarak. Who came to power? Islamists. After some time people got sick of their "freedom" and asked military to take charge.

I know i'd rather live in Hong Kong with no representation, than in any of those 4 countries that recently have been 'freed'

Hong kong anyday over egypt - i travelled many places in my life and egypt is ranked as the worst country i ever visited from infrastructure, social and culture wise.

Living standards have nothing to do with it. The question is freedom - of speech (Chinese censors have clearly read 1984) and to elect my own government. I would rather live without my wealth if it meant freedom for myself and my children.

I don't doubt many older Chinese would think that is insane. It is good their children see things more clearly. If we all felt that way we wouldn't have the freedoms we enjoy now. Both world wars were only won because people sacrificed their own lives for the freedom of others.

Another irrelevant point. In Australia we get a chance to have our say at the ballot box. Try to take that away from us and I reckon the vast majority of the population would be out on the streets.

Hong Kong does have freedom of speech and freedom of press. The most read newspaper (Apple Daily) is an anti-Chinese Government mouthpiece.

So would you rather live in Baghdad with the right to elect your government, over Hong Kong?

You only had 3000 people on the streets. Don't make things up please. The half a million is a figure the protest organisers made up. Everyone in HK knows.

The west only wants Chinese money, but slags all over China whenever they can
This can be seen from very early histories, won't go into details

What you choose to believe is up to you, whether it is media influenced or not, but at end of day, the aim of improving living standards is what a successful government does

Sounds like it was a memorable holiday. Something to tell the kids and grandkids in the years to come. The day we were in Hong Kong when the tear gas and tears flowed. Beats the usual binge eating and shopping.

Yes, this is true.

Unfortunately though the fire works held on 1 October were cancelled due to the protesting etc.
We were staying at the Marco Polo and our room had magnificent views over the harbour, shame about this.

Back