Horrible Inground Pool that has to go.....

Hey formites.....

Interested in purchasing a new IP, and it has this half full horrible inground pool in it, which in my opinion has to go.... now I thought that I could just jackhammer holes in the bottom of the pool, to let water drain out, and then just fill it with fill and topsoil and grass it....

Anyone have experience with this and any advice?? or is it better to get a company to come and remove it "properly".

Any advice would be appreciated....

luvvit

You are better off getting an excavator with jack hammer attachement - jack hammer dozen+ holes in base, break to 1/2 metre pool wall sides - fill using clean fill - use excavator to spead and compact each load - use topsoil for final 15-20cm - turf

It wont take more than a couple of hours for the water to be drained using a pump and going into the sewer. Dont think it is a good idea letting it flow into the ground. And get someone to demolish and then fill it in properly.

I think I know the property you're talking about.

Its almost like a 1 person pool, right?

If not, I'll post the one I'm talking about and we can see which is worse :p

We demolished our inground pool about 10-12 years ago.

If your pump and filter are in good condition, I suggest you try to sell them before you empty the pool so that the buyer can see them working. Otherwise you will receive a greatly reduced price.

1. empty pool - pump out into sewer or gutter according to local regulations.
2. break up the bottom in the deepest point so that no pooling of water can occur.
3. collapse the sides and coping in.
4. fill and compact.
5. turf.
6. be prepared to re-level and possibly fill sinking spots over the next year or so until everything settles.
Marg

here is an idea for an unused pool: :)

bucky-fastplant_b.jpg

seriously, marg4000's advice sounds good!

Hi Luvvit,

Last year we had a concrete pool removed from our old PPOR in Melbourne. Unbeknown to us, this thing was built back in the 60-70's and was the exact replica of a military holocaust bunker. After several quotes we got demolition guys in and they had to bring in big equipment to get rid of the pool! For $2500 they spent in excess of two weeks demolishing the pool, removing the entire pool and back filling with clean fill.

They made no money on the job at all, I felt bad about it and offered more, but the guy was true to his price and didn't mind that it took so long as he was training guys in demolishing. I do feel for the guy though who was sent on the first day to cut the concrete (8hrs later in 30c heat) and when the first 51/2 tonne excavator with a rock breaker attached to it just bounced off the pool wall, they didn't know what to do.

I suppose the best thing to do is just check how old the pool is, because it is one gigantic job to get rid of an old pool. Just thought I would share the experience. I will see if I can find a photo of it for you.
Cheers,

Billy

Hi Luvvit,

Last year we had a concrete pool removed from our old PPOR in Melbourne. Unbeknown to us, this thing was built back in the 60-70's and was the exact replica of a military holocaust bunker. After several quotes we got demolition guys in and they had to bring in big equipment to get rid of the pool! For $2500 they spent in excess of two weeks demolishing the pool, removing the entire pool and back filling with clean fill.

They made no money on the job at all, I felt bad about it and offered more, but the guy was true to his price and didn't mind that it took so long as he was training guys in demolishing. I do feel for the guy though who was sent on the first day to cut the concrete (8hrs later in 30c heat) and when the first 51/2 tonne excavator with a rock breaker attached to it just bounced off the pool wall, they didn't know what to do.

I suppose the best thing to do is just check how old the pool is, because it is one gigantic job to get rid of an old pool. Just thought I would share the experience. I will see if I can find a photo of it for you.
Cheers,

Billy

Hi Luvvit,

Last year we had a concrete pool removed from our old PPOR in Melbourne. Unbeknown to us, this thing was built back in the 60-70's and was the exact replica of a military holocaust bunker.

Billy

Billy, thats a cracker!!!! Im sure its not that old, but heck, I'll be sure to check it out thoroughly....

Luvvit

It always seems a shame to bust up a concrete pool.

There are a few companies around that convert old pools into underground rainwater storage tanks.

I knew a bloke who though about breeding yabbies. Not sure if he did it.

Earlier this year I saw some designs - it could have been a competition - where architects turned in ground pools into a bedsit. Great designs, but hard to describe. The walls around the edge were raised a bit for headheight and a flat, turfed roof put on. Open stairs went down into the pool along one side and there was a wall of glass beside the stair.
Pools have plumbing and power already. And they would be well insulated.
Agreed, then pool would have to be a decent size.

Scott

At least it looks like it is well chlorinated. Our friends had one of these too. It is a spa. And it is fibro isnt it? Which means that the shell will lift out when the bricks and water are removed.

if that's the pool in question id probably just put in a deck and leave it there, since putting in a deck will probably set you back about as much as getting rid of the thing

anyway as people said, use a pump to get rid of the water. last time i hired an industrial pump is set me back $70 for the day? half the day? anyway theyre neat little jobbies with a hose and waterproof power cord - all you do is plug into power, unroll the hose to wherever you want the water to go, lob the pump into the pool and that thing will be empty in 30 minutes.

as everyone else also said, id be concerned about future drainage issues so id perforate the pool mightily to avoid sinkholes in the lawn and the like. smash the top part of the pool to a level reasonably below ground level, and then fill it up with something self compacting and reasonably draining like sand (procedure for compacting sand: grab a hose and wet it to get to about 85% compaction) leaving enough room for a nice layer of topsoil for your turf.

truthfully id probably break the whole thing with a decent sized jackhammer and be done within a day, but thats me

cheerios

Back