Horror In Paradise

Did anyone hear of this story

Sad and bloody disgraceful and my thoughts go out to Lindy and family

This happened about 50NM from where we plan on basing ourselves when the boat goes in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/03/25/horror-in-paradise-115875-21226127/
HORROR IN PARADISE

By Euan Stretch 25/03/2009

EXCLUSIVE Brit killed and thrown off yacht by pirate trio

Devastated Lindy Robertson told yesterday how she was tied up naked and kept prisoner for 12 hours by pirates who murdered her husband and threw his body off their yacht.

The three killers boarded Lindy and Malcolm's boat as it lay anchored off an island near the coast of Thailand and were trying to steal its dinghy when the British man confronted them.

Lindy, who is recovering in a Thai hospital, yesterday rang home to tell brother John Clee how she lay in bed on the yacht listening in horror as 64-year-old Malcolm tried to fight off the attackers.

She sobbed: "They've murdered Malcolm. I know they've murdered him."

John said Lindy and Malcolm had been sleeping in separate cabins because the night was so unbearably hot. He added: "Lindy heard a commotion and shouted for Malcolm.

"Then she heard him go up on deck and shout for people to get off the boat. There was a skirmish and she heard a splosh before it went deadly silent. She lay in terror and three of them came in and tied her up. She was naked so it was especially horrific. They kept her prisoner for eight to 12 hours, only untying her enough to make her sail the boat when they needed her, then tying her up again.

"All the time she was convinced Malcolm was dead and they were going to do her in when they had finished with her."

The pirates, who spoke no English, let the yacht drift away from the isle of Koh Dong as they ransacked it.

They eventually left the yacht - taking the dinghy that they had loaded with valuables, including a laptop and a camera.

As soon as they had gone Lindy, 58, from St Leonards, East Sussex, made for a nearby fishing boat and raised the alarm. John said: "She knew she could easily outrun the pirates.

"Lindy was able to tell police exactly which direction the pirates had taken off in. The launch was so slow they wouldn't have got far so officers soon caught up in their boat and arrested them. One of the worst bits for Lindy was having to come back in the same police boat as the pirates."

Three migrant fishermen from Burma were yesterday being questioned on suspicion of murdering Malcolm, a retired businessman. They are reported to have confessed to punching him and beating him with a hammer on Monday night.

When he yelled for help they allegedly cut his throat and bundled him overboard. No body has yet been found. Colonel Virat Ohn-song of the Thai police said: "They tried to steal the dinghy and beat Mr Robertson with their fists and hammers until he died. We believe from our interview with his wife that Mr. Robertson was dead before he was thrown into the water.

"This is very bad. Very bad. There was a lot of blood in the boat's main cabin where the struggle took place."

Malcolm and Lindy were on the last leg of a round-the-world yachting adventure that began more than a decade ago.

full listing here, the story seems to have been kept quiet in Thai media.

http://news.google.com/news?source=...d4syiCg&sa=X&oi=news_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Dave

I read this and thought of you BB and wondered how you protect yourself in a boat in the middle of the ocean from these pirates. Watching Dead Calm was a bit scary too.

I was amazed that they will not charge them with murder unless a body is found :confused:. Do they think he slit his own throat and them jumped or maybe it was an elaborate hoax to fake his death?

Get a couple of AK47's before you weigh anchor, BB.

Spending time in Asian prisons has no great appeal to me, and I am not a fan of guns being the answer, unless of course you are 100% certain that the "roughnecks" are unarmed and you have the drop on them.

I am reminded of the late great Sir Peter Blake and his experience with guns against pirates in the Amazon aboard Seamaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(yachtsman)

Dave

I read this and thought of you BB and wondered how you protect yourself in a boat in the middle of the ocean from these pirates. Watching Dead Calm was a bit scary too.

I was amazed that they will not charge them with murder unless a body is found :confused:. Do they think he slit his own throat and them jumped or maybe it was an elaborate hoax to fake his death?

Fortunately, the Piracy issue is a bit of a Non-issue for cruising yachties, though I suspect it will increase a bit with the GFC.

Statistically, I reckon we'd have far greater chance of something horrible happening being land based in these regions or even here.

When I first read the article I thought "Thats it, its all turning to custard" but then reminded myself that murders and robberies happen often enough in Australia.
We lived in a street where there was a murder while we were there and break and enters as well, but we never contemplated moving from that area because of it.

I have spent a lot of time investigating and keeping track of incidents in these areas through these sites

Noonsite Yachting Piracy Reports http://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy

Yacht Piracy - Information Centre for Bluewater Sailors http://www.yachtpiracy.org/en/dangerous_regions.htm

Onpassage.com :* Piracy and pirate attacks on yachts and sailboats http://www.onpassage.com/Emergency_Medical/Pirate_attacks.htm

IMB Piracy Reporting Centre http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=12

now all nicely marked on my Google Earth placemarks and it mostly seems to be an opportunistic crime, though some boardings and robberies and bribes to leave have had an almost official feel to them, especially around Indonesia where yachts have been chased down and stopped by uniform wearing Automatic weapon wielding types demanding some "Fee" be paid, usually accompanied with cigarettes and alcohol.

Usually, No one gets hurt, but shots have been fired to encourage vessels to stop and the experience would be fairly freaky.

(When we do our run up through Indonesian waters we will travel in company on this rally http://www.sailindonesia.net/home/home.php
You can see here that they have over 100 vessels not limited to sail that do the run http://www.sailindonesia.net/history/history2008.php )

Funnily or sadly enough, this is not that different to QLD where we have vessels being boarded unannounced and "illegally" by Australian Customs and MSQ imposing fines.
More here about the crap yachties have to endure in QLD :mad: http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/issues.html

What can we do to protect ourselves?
Not much more than these people did.
*Keep in touch with other yachties as to risky areas (which this was not one of)
*Lift dinghy up on deck or davits at night making it less of a target.
* Keep anything that may be used as a weapon (knives, winch handles, fish donger) out of the cockpit.
*Have bright security lights and alarm with motion sensors
*Have a Hi decibel horn and blinding light in the cockpit aimed aft that can be activated from below, hopefully disorienting thieves and attracting attention
* Secure and strong cockpit doors and hatches
*Boarding ladders up when not in use

It has been suggested at night that a spiked mat or thumbtacks be laid out in the cockpit boarding areas as sneak thieves will be barefoot.
There has also been investigation into electrifying S/S rails and lifelines

For boats being chased it has been suggested a well aimed rocket flare can create havoc, which I can guarantee they do, and that would work as long as they dont have well aimed AK47's or RPG's on board.

Having a throw away wallet with a small amount of local currency, old cancelled credit cards etc close at hand to give them has worked as has a stash of cheap ciggies and cheap alcohol. Sometimes this has been enough to send them away.

Anyway, the actual cases compared to transits have been fairly minor so I dont really think it is that much of an issue.

Dave

Last edited:
Anyway, the actual cases compared to transits have been fairly minor so I dont really think it is that much of an issue.
Oh apart from the bashing with hammers, slitting of the throat and tieing up naked ladies... :O

I can't believe you're so practical and calm about it...well actually I can. Obviously you've done your research and are not going to let some low lifes ruin your fun. But still. I'd be paranoid.

Dave,

This is one of Kay and I's shared concerns for sailing in the region. But the Sail Indonesia rally looks like a great option to mitigate some of the risks of piracy. I've added that to my list of must do activities. I'm still contemplating taking some time off work and cruising around Australia and SEA.

But I'm also exploring some job opportunities in Singapore at present so would definately need to buy a yacht if I ended up living and working there...

Cheers,
Michael

But I'm also exploring some job opportunities in Singapore at present so would definately need to buy a yacht if I ended up living and working there...

Cheers,
Michael

Let us know if you get the job, I have spoken to a guy online who has a mono in Singa and could probably steer you in the right direction as far as getting a ride while there.

I also have plenty of boaty links for around the area if needed

Dave

I wonder if the victim would have still been alive if he had just let them take whatever they want without any resistance.
I have a mate who did a lot of sailing up that way about 25yrs ago. He used that tactic when he was pirated once and their was no drama. The guys actally smiled at him during the robbery.
Better to lose your possessions than your life.

Here you go, Thai Justice.

Catch the dudes, they confess to the killing, they have the murder weapons, they have a boat full of blood, but no murder charge, not even manslaughter.

I still find it bizarre that I can't really find anything in Thai or Malaysian media about this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/britons-killers-escape-murder-charge-1656042.html

Briton's killers escape murder charge

Wife hears case cannot go on until husband's body is found, despite confession

By Cahal Milmo and Andrew Drummond in Satun, Thailand

Saturday, 28 March 2009

The widow of a British man beaten to death by Burmese pirates told yesterday of her disbelief that murder charges cannot be brought against his suspected killers.

Linda Robertson, 57, was informed by authorities in Thailand that the failure to find her husband's body after he was thrown overboard during the attack on board the couple's yacht meant proceedings for murder could not be brought against the three men arrested for the killing.

The trio of migrant fishermen, aged 17 to 19, have confessed to beating to death 64-year-old Malcolm Robertson with a hammer when they tried to rob his 44ft yacht, Mr Bean. The attack took place on Tuesday morning close to Bintang Island, 600 miles south of the Thai capital, Bangkok.

Mrs Robertson, from Hastings, East Sussex, spent nearly 10 hours testifying before two courts yesterday, recounting step-by-step how she heard her husband being attacked before treading in his blood on the deck of the boat as she tried to escape her captors.

Under Thai law, murder charges can only be brought if a body is found.

Despite three days of searching by authorities and fishermen, Mr Robertson's remains have not been found.

His family had their hopes raised yesterday when the Foreign Office released a statement suggesting a corpse had been recovered, but Thai police later said this had been a false alarm.

Mrs Robertson, who had been spending the winter months sailing around Thailand with her husband, said: "I can't believe the decision by prosecutors. I am in a state of total disbelief.

"These young men were almost caught red-handed. They confessed to everything. The police even have the bloodstained murder weapon.

"Yet there is no murder charge, not even a manslaughter charge. It's incredible." The three fishermen, who have been charged with theft, assault and kidnap, have claimed they boarded the Britons' boat after they were held as captive labourers on a Thai fishing boat and escaped when they saw Mr Bean at anchor nearby.

After being confronted by Mr Robertson, who owned a chain of coffee shops in and around Hastings, the men beat him around the head with a hammer.

Thai police believe the attackers then slit the businessman's throat before pushing him into the sea while his wife was tightly bound with ropes.

Mrs Robertson, who was held captive for 10 hours, described how the group then proceeded to have a "noisy picnic" on the yacht while the youngest attacker, a 17-year-old orphan called Ko, played with her mobile phone.

She added that she believed her husband's determination to confront the robbers had cost him his life.

She said: "He was not the sort of man that would just sit back and let things happen. I really wish he had been."

Back