Hourly costs of tradesmen ?

I worked out many years ago not to work on hourly rate.
Only quotes,people don't seem to mind paying you as much?
You will never get me on hourly rate NEVER

amen brother - a job is worth "x" dollars to do, not "y" number of hours at "z" an hour.

if you go over your hourly quota, you either slug the client and end up in a sh*tfight or you wear the cost.

tradesmen are very well paid in this country and we pay 2 to 3 times for products compared to our counterparts in the UK and US. when i look at what we pay for some products in this country it is unbelievable the mark up. I use to pay $36 for my hair gel at the hair dresser until i discovered it at target in the US for $10 for example.

always buy wholesale.

i never buy ANYTHING retail anymore.

prices are high here because of GST plus labour content.

the labour content for products in australia is sickening. houses alone cost twice as much as they should - if they were modular, they'd be a lot less.

Most plumbers in Brisbane would not work for under $80-90 per hour
and that depends on the area,and once you take all the running costs
insurance-worker comp-super-mobile -yellow pages add-truck-bobcat
trench diggers ect,there is not a lot of money left after all the above is paided,plus it takes up to 6 years from the start of the apprentership
till you can work as a "Lic"plumber,the person that taught me the trade
use to say one thing all the,I'm not a prostitute,why sell yourself for nothing.willair..
BTW,how do you work the 300% out,on bunnings prices lol....

Your correct most plumbers in Brisbane but not all plumbers in Brisbane,

Yep with a digger or bobcat I understand $80 or $90 + is fair, but I am talking about 1 person putting pipes together or digging a small trench with a spade.

I work those prices from reece's prices and still he marked up 300% and tryed to tell me some ******** story, to bad he won't be getting no more work from me.
bunnings tradelink reece etc, price vary's on different items, sometimes better sometimes worse, but I can say one thing the stuff bunnings sell are normaly cheaper than most others on the market and there stuff are as good as anywhere else, even though most contractors try tell you otherwise, once again the contractor is talkin s***. I spend huge amounts of dollars with bunnings buying everything and anything and I rarely take anything back so that shows you the quality

I work those prices from reece's prices and still he marked up 300% and tryed to tell me some ******** story, to bad he won't be getting no more work from me.
bunnings tradelink reece etc, price vary's on different items, sometimes better sometimes worse, but I can say one thing the stuff bunnings sell are normaly cheaper than most others on the market and there stuff are as good as anywhere else, even though most contractors try tell you otherwise, once again the contractor is talkin s***. I spend huge amounts of dollars with bunnings buying everything and anything and I rarely take anything back so that shows you the quality

You would be amazed at the low cost of (In my instance)paint I get compared to say Bunnings.Nearly 100% less than what you pay:eek:

Same as a mechanics and other people in different trades get cheaper materials.

I spend over 100K a year for paint,I can demand a decent price.

Bunnings wont negotiate so I can get a decent price.

And another thing as soon as you supply them an ABN or Trade card,

The usual If you happen to find a cheaper price on a stocked item
we'll beat it by 10%* is gone.
Read the fine print.
*Excludes trade quotes, stock liquidations and commercial quantities.
This also apply s for warranty for power tools.

Why would we buy there,they just want the DIY's who pay twice the price and don't know any different.:p

One way to sort this is to import more labour in.....in the UK they got a lot of really good Eastern European tradies in and the rate dropped to 12 to 25 pounds per hour.

If they did that there....why can't we do this.

More competition the better....no one owes anyone a living.....everyone has to compete on a global scale. Probably why I invest in property as one day my job will be done by a person in Asia, Eastern Europe or Africa!;)

One way to sort this is to import more labour in.....in the UK they got a lot of really good Eastern European tradies in and the rate dropped to 12 to 25 pounds per hour.

If they did that there....why can't we do this.
Because I wouldn't be able to buy as many houses:(

You would be amazed at the low cost of (In my instance)paint I get compared to say Bunnings.Nearly 100% less than what you pay:eek:

Read the fine print.

Why would we buy there,they just want the DIY's who pay twice the price and don't know any different.:p

well I can't get my paint that cheap, but then again I don't spend $100k on paint, but I do get it around 20% cheaper than bunnings, but then again what paint are you using??? I only use wattyl and sometimes dulux.

yep your right with bunnings they are scrouges when you want a discount, but I do have an account so I get upto 20% discount because of what I spend.
when it comes to getting a 10% discount with bunnings when you find it cheaper else where, you realy have to push them and then you normaly get it. but they do try cover them selfs.

but then again what paint are you using??? I only use wattyl and sometimes dulux.
I only use the best quality premium paints from all the well known brands,solver,taubmans,dulux and wattyl.

I have been told they only make a couple of dollars a can from us and they tint and deliver free:D

Trade Secret.
If you want the best quality finish in your rentals use Taubmans L/S Living proof silk.
It is hard to put on (Teflon)for an amateur but worth the effort.

Read the fine print.

Painter,

In order to get this discount, do you need to use a certain number of tins in order to qualify for such discounts, or can anyone go up and get a trade card.

I have a family member who has been in the painting business for years, so I can get it dirt cheap. I think he gos to Bristol and Dulux. As he employs his own team, I am lucky to get all labour free as well. (Just need to buy a carton of mid strengths...:))

My point is though, if it is easy as filling in some forms in order to 'qualify' for a trade card, and then receive trade discounts, well I will venture down to Haymans electrical, reece plumbing and timber suppliers in order to sign up for a trade card.....and in turn getting similar discounts.

Otherwise, I will have to negotiate based on number of rooms, size of job, number of vanities, etc.

Cheers,

Post note...... From your logo....is that really your licence plate??

F

I have recently learnt from our recent bath reno and i will not be asking for hourly rate on tradies i will ask for a end price on services as this reduces the blowing the budget on estimatating of jobs.

:)

I have recently learnt from our recent bath reno and i will not be asking for hourly rate on tradies i will ask for a end price on services as this reduces the blowing the budget on estimatating of jobs.

Wise move,
This gives you the benefit of no money up front or perhaps a small deposit.
In my quotes It is written No deposit needed 100% payment when finished
Pay them when you are happy.Also knowing how much it will cost and then budgeting for it will ease your mind.
They will do the job twice as fast and you don't have to hang around and count the hours.

You are also covered by a better warranty.

If a customer supplies the materials I give no warranty:rolleyes:

This is common in the building trade.
If you supply fans or lights for an electrician there is no warranty if they don't work.

Painter,

In order to get this discount, do you need to use a certain number of tins in order to qualify for such discounts, or can anyone go up and get a trade card.

I have a family member who has been in the painting business for years, so I can get it dirt cheap. I think he gos to Bristol and Dulux. As he employs his own team, I am lucky to get all labour free as well. (Just need to buy a carton of mid strengths...:))

My point is though, if it is easy as filling in some forms in order to 'qualify' for a trade card, and then receive trade discounts, well I will venture down to Haymans electrical, reece plumbing and timber suppliers in order to sign up for a trade card.....and in turn getting similar discounts.

Otherwise, I will have to negotiate based on number of rooms, size of job, number of vanities, etc.

Cheers,

Post note...... From your logo....is that really your licence plate??

F

As you know you can use someones account and pay cash.
This is common,paint shops don't like it,but I tell them,if they don't buy your paint they will go up the road and buy elsewhere and a small sale is better than nothing.They could get a new customer for life.

You can go and get a trade account,however they will only give you a discount accordingly, EG:$20,000 year =20% $30,000 year =30% and so on.
Best to buy on a high volume account.

Post note...... Yes that is my licence plate.

Tradies love to take there time and do things backwards on a hourly rate, but if you watch over them allday they sometimes pullfinger, if there to slow don't hire them again.
I get most my work done on an hourly rate

I find with fixed prices they quote way to much and they love to say thats an extra, and then they slug you for more
whereas if there on an hourly rate and you want to make an alteration then there is no problem
It does depend on what your getting done.

here is a quote $15,200 and $14,600 to install a kitchen , I shopped around and got a kitchen for $2k and installed it myself, my finished kitchen has 2 pak doors and a marble lookalike top, both quotes were flat white doors but did have similer top.

painting, quoted $10k, I hired a guy and supplied the paint $1800 total.

bathroom quote $10k shopped around and got everything for $1200 and got a mate to help install it at no charge, well maybe a few beers.

end result top job done, outlay $4k vs quotes $35k:D

Tradies love to take there time and do things backwards on a hourly rate, but if you watch over them allday they sometimes pullfinger, if there to slow don't hire them again.
I get most my work done on an hourly rate

I find with fixed prices they quote way to much and they love to say thats an extra, and then they slug you for more
whereas if there on an hourly rate and you want to make an alteration then there is no problem
It does depend on what your getting done.

here is a quote $15,200 and $14,600 to install a kitchen , I shopped around and got a kitchen for $2k and installed it myself, my finished kitchen has 2 pak doors and a marble lookalike top, both quotes were flat white doors but did have similer top.

painting, quoted $10k, I hired a guy and supplied the paint $1800 total.

bathroom quote $10k shopped around and got everything for $1200 and got a mate to help install it at no charge, well maybe a few beers.

end result top job done, outlay $4k vs quotes $35k:D
Maybe that's why they work so slow,because you are watching them, you can buy a marble top full kitchen solid pine,, from the auctions for $500.00 plus BP that some did not pay for:rolleyes:..willair..

In this climate do they care much about repeat business, or is it just onto the next sucker customer?

most don't care

but they should

Ive owned several companies and all been successfull, no advertising and all long term repeat customers, I was busy when most were quite. how did I do it, good reliable service always ontime and always communicated, nothing beats it, because I put the hard work in now I don't need to work and I am still young

Back