How can we help our son to choose what he wants to do at uni?

I'd also be wary of the degrees like architecture and Graphic design.

Too many students and not enough jobs.

Unless you are a clear stand out, its very hard to get a job.

Degrees are about different things for different people. For some people, they are about study for the love of study, and maybe a path into academia.

For me, they are just about getting a job. So I'd suggest having a long hard think about the sorts of jobs he might like, and pick a degree that pushes him in that direction.

My son did get into an Arts Degree, with a folio etc., but never wanted to go, he wanted to be a signwriter...so that's what he did, he deferred his Uni for 12 months and did the pre-apprenticeship in signwriting...then pulled out of the Degree so he could take an apprenticeship in signwriting, which he really enjoyed.

Go forward 20 years .... he decided he wanted to go to Uni..applied to Monash and Ballarat..got in first round with both. Took Ballarat, wanted a small University, he did Fine Art...absolutely loved it..then went on to do Honours and Masters.

He works with People with a Disability, mostly mentally disabled and teaches them Art, arranges exhibitions, and claims its the best job he has ever had, he has been doing it for 10 years now, he started doing it part time when he started his Degree.

Chris

I currently have a daughter in the same situation.
After attending the usual parent teacher interviews I surmised that a number of her teachers thought she should pursue law.
She doesn't like the idea of that but thought it might be OK if she could incorporate some humanitarian field into law.
She may settle on a Bachelor of Arts initially and change later on.
Anyhow she went off to school this morning stressed out about an exam she's having today.
I keep telling her there is no rush. Plenty of years ahead to make her way in the world and find her direction.

Our middle son did a gap . Was undecided what he wanted to do before and after .... He's doing a engineering commerce five year degree ( mid through 4th year ) and still uncertain as to what he wants to do.

Having seen other people do a gap year , patients and friends of kids , I wouldn't recommended doing it unless its something they REALLY WANT TO DO.

He did look a switching to straight commerce , but wouldn't have saved a year as course had been changed .

Oldest and youngest did / doing 3 year business course at UTS

Unless they know what they want to do , I think the business course is a good general course and it will help give you a good structure in what ever you do afterwards. I've seen someone who wanted to go in the creative arts field , do a business course and then the arts degree . They said it made them more focused and since they've finished , they have done well in their chosen creative field because they had a good business focus to it .

Cliff

I have an Arts degree as my undergrad degree. I had an inkling of what I wanted to do, but I changed my mind during the process. I majored in history and English.

I fell into planning and did a Graduate Diploma via distance education while working pretty much full time as a student planner. Took me 2 years to complete.

So, looking at it this way.
1) I could have done a 5 year degree in town planning and worked part time as a waiter.
2) Do a 3 year Arts degree working part time as a waiter, then 2 years of working in the field, earning very good money for a student and getting invaluable experience. Plus, the history major I did means I am qualified to undertake heritage planning work as well.

It tends to be only people who have a chip on their shoulder who whinge about how useless art degrees are.

The great benefit of a generalist degree is that it opens up a lot of post grad doors.

That said a degree, any degree, is only as useful as you make it.

I was thinking of posting a similar q recently as my daughter is choosing subjects for year 10. (that in itself I don't really understand as with my schooling I chose subjects in yr 9). But anyway, we sat down and talked about what she is good at. She has excellent organisational skills, is interested in make up, fashion and is good at english/writing. she had the expectation to go to uni, but she stresses so much at school I'm really not sure another few years of study will be beneficial. There are always jobs in Business so she has chosen a mix of business and journalism. She is slightly interested in cooking and fashion design, but realistically if you don't love those area's, there is no point! I think choosing a career should match your abilities. There is no point choosing a career you struggle with, have to put in twice as much effort as someone who has a natural gift with it IMO. It is hard! I didn't know what I wanted to do when I was in school, I was into having fun, not studying. :) My mum got me to pick up some Tafe Business Subjects while studying senior. I'm glad she did.

You will need to outlay 5 years for the Architecture degree.

3 years Bachelor + 2 years Masters, the Master is the one which is accredited and will also two years of relevant work experience (most students will accumulate some during their studies and majority after graduation) within an Arch firm before sitting the exam with AACA before you can register as an architect.

Another way to look at it . If he's not sure whether to go to Uni or not .

Go.

That way if he doesn't like it , then he knows its not for him , and he won't spend time worrying about whether he should go or not .

The biggest problem my youngest son has is the clash between the study and social agenda's

Cliff

My 16 year old wants to do Physics

Not sure what the real world opportunities in Australia, Post-Graduation are for him in that field though?

As a side bonus, pursuing that goal has him working hard at his maths and science this year

Another way to look at it . If he's not sure whether to go to Uni or not .

Go.

That way if he doesn't like it , then he knows its not for him , and he won't spend time worrying about whether he should go or not .

The biggest problem my youngest son has is the clash between the study and social agenda's

Cliff

This sounds sensible and how I feel he should proceed. He will either enjoy uni or not, and if he doesn't enjoy it, it is only a year "lost".

I'd hate for him to always wonder "what if".

Regarding Architecture, I don't really think he is interested but with his older brother having done a couple of years, it is something he is familiar with.

I also think that after twelve years of school, the thought of not studying anything next year is tempting to many teenagers, but I think they forget that they have the longest holiday every between 15 November when school finishes and mid February (?) when uni starts. They could be getting pretty bored by then and wishing they had booked in for uni.

I'm thinking the business degree sounds promising, but we will continue discussing and trying to work out what he is interested in.

He is an average student, with study he could have been doing much better. He has a quick brain, but he is lazy, and my other concern is having gone through school with minimal work and almost no study, whether uni would be a huge shock to him. He has worked hard this year, but until this year, he coasted through on minimal work.

He's lost, and we don't know what to suggest to him.

I thought those here on Somersoft might have some insight into this little dilemma.

This sounds sensible and how I feel he should proceed. He will either enjoy uni or not, and if he doesn't enjoy it, it is only a year "lost".

I'd hate for him to always wonder "what if".

A little note of caution here (I've seen this happen)....

The problem with deciding to try a year at uni is that if you don't pull finger and do the work, perhaps because you're lazy or just plain disinterested, then the environment (as reflected in your grades) can be very cruel.

Yes it is only a year.... and yes it is only even a few thousand dollars of debt.

But earn yourself some bad grades and you'll find yourself not only with debt for nothing, but also the very real possibility of being provided an academic holiday (otherwise known as an exclusion).

An exclusion won't endear you towards said university in the future -> even if you try to come back and (next time) do a degree you really want to do.

So the moral of the story is this....

Yes, try university, but be prepared to do the work.

But also be prepared to admit you have have actually made a mistake by going and be aware of both the fees census date (the final date you can withdraw by without having incurred a debt) and also the final date you can withdraw - and incur fees - but not be deemed to have failed the unit(s).

Better to run away and possibly try again.... than to crash and burn and be persona non grata.

My 16 year old wants to do Physics

Not sure what the real world opportunities in Australia, Post-Graduation are for him in that field though?

As a side bonus, pursuing that goal has him working hard at his maths and science this year

Pure physics? Or is he interested in applied stuff too?

Lots of other disciplines rely heavily on Physics. I did Computer Systems Engineering at uni and we did up to 2nd year uni physics (including studying relativity with Professor Paul Davies!).

Think of all the stuff you learn about in physics and their application in the real world ... for example:

- optics (glasses, camera lenses, telescopes, mirrors, fibre optics, eye surgery, lasers, etc)
- thermodynamics (refrigeration, heating, materials engineering, chemical reactions, biomedical engineering)
- mechanics (mechanical, civil engineering, biomechanical engineering, etc)
- electro magnetism, relativity, lots of other area of physics too.

Also there are the blended fields which rely on physics and other areas of expertise:

- astrophysics
- biophysics
- chemical physics
- econophysics (statistical finance!)
- geophysics
- medical physics
- physical chemistry

There aren't many "physicists" around, but there are a lot of occupations which rely on physics every day!

EDIT - Apologies Sim, you did mention Engineering!

Lots of other disciplines rely heavily on Physics....
There aren't many "physicists" around, but there are a lot of occupations which rely on physics every day!

Sim, you missed the two biggies...

Engineering

&

Geology

- econophysics (statistical finance!)

Physics PhDs are not at all uncommonly found as quantitative analysts in finance.

Largely I suspect this would be because the math in high level finance would be too difficult for mere mortals (and hacks like me), it would be like a, b, c, d for a Physics PhD.

Sim, you missed the two biggies...

Engineering

&

Geology

Physics PhDs are not at all uncommonly found as quantitative analysts in finance.

Largely I suspect this would be because the math in high level finance would be too difficult for mere mortals (and hacks like me), it would be like a, b, c, d for a Physics PhD.
Geology would be fun!

Hi Sim

I think he is mostly interested in pure physics:- Quantum mechanics ? string theory, the big bang stuff and fabric of the cosmos, parallel universes, the extra dimensions, time travel and understanding how the universe works etc

Hi Sim

I think he is mostly interested in pure physics:- Quantum mechanics ? string theory, the big bang stuff and fabric of the cosmos, parallel universes, the extra dimensions, time travel and understanding how the universe works etc

How much LSD has he had? :p

Back