How do I become a registered builder?

Hi folks,

I'm about to embark on my first development in Perth and using momentum wealth to manage all aspects of subdivision and building, it's very exciting. In the future I'd rather do that myself and make it a full time profession. Does anyone know how I can become a registered builder? Do I have to work on a building site for x number of years? Study at tafe or uni?

I want to cut out the middle man and build for less then prob do partial sell / hold.

I'm currently in IT as a network engineer, nothing I do relates to building so I wouldnt be able to transfer any of my skills across.

In case it matters I'm 35 years old and live in Perth.

Thanks for your time
Dave

You have to do the course.

Then you have to prove you are working in the industry, and have done so for quite a few years - it's not easy or quick.

My opinion is you would be better to register a building business and employ a 'building practitioner' to be your 'nominated supervisor'. Beware though as it is illegal for a Building Practitoner to engage in 'licence lending'. Maybe you need a building practioner like me:)

Pud

Not sure about wa, but in Vic you need,

A Trade (4yrs) plus practical expirence of 2 or 3 yrs plus cert 4 in building and construction.

Or

10 yrs practical expirence (without trade) plus cert 4

You have to do the course.

Hi Aaron,

I've came across a couple of courses but they also require on site training as part of the curriculum, are all the courses you know of the same with this requirement of physical hands on experience?

thanks
Dave

Then you have to prove you are working in the industry, and have done so for quite a few years - it's not easy or quick.

My opinion is you would be better to register a building business and employ a 'building practitioner' to be your 'nominated supervisor'. Beware though as it is illegal for a Building Practitoner to engage in 'licence lending'. Maybe you need a building practioner like me:)

Pud

Hi Pud,

so the building practitioner would supervise all trades on site while purchasing materials at trade prices? This sounds ok. Can you please explain how it's different from myself using a building company?

thanks
Dave

You complete an apprenticeship with a qualified tradesman eg licenced builder or licenced carpenter and attend TAFE for 3 years to complete your certificate then you do a Certificate IV which may be competed eg 1 weekend a month for a year.

Obtain licence and register with Fair Trading pay your fee etc.

Then you apply to an insurance company to who supplies home warranty insurance, this insurance company will want your financial details etc.

Each year you have to continue your education by attending courses and trade shows to complete 12 CPD points.

Also I believe in NSw you could do a bricklaying apprenticeship and then complete a Certificate IV and apply for a builders licence.

In addition if you can provide evidence of prior experience eg worked in the trade you can apply for recognition of prior learning and just complete a certificate IV would have to be good experience eg. Worked as an estimator in a building company during the week and worked on weekends with a builder for 5 years and builder prepared to sign off on skills you have demonstrated on the job.

Regards
Sheryn

Hi folks,

I'm about to embark on my first development in Perth and using momentum wealth to manage all aspects of subdivision and building, it's very exciting. In the future I'd rather do that myself and make it a full time profession. Does anyone know how I can become a registered builder? Do I have to work on a building site for x number of years? Study at tafe or uni?

I want to cut out the middle man and build for less then prob do partial sell / hold.

I'm currently in IT as a network engineer, nothing I do relates to building so I wouldnt be able to transfer any of my skills across.

In case it matters I'm 35 years old and live in Perth.

Thanks for your time
Dave

At the end of the day you need to demonstrate to the WA building board you can build. Have you built before? Or supervised jobs? Doesn't have to be the whole process either.

Oscar

if the building licensing board gave me a licence, I am sure that they'd issue one to anyone. (it does help to do the building course through uni or Tafe/oten).

As pointed out above, you can have a company& employ a supervisor who knows what he is doing.

Back