How do i stop theives entering my building site?

Currently building at the moment, and is a fence all around, just ridiculous the things that are getting stolen from my property.

Ive got to the stage where i absolutely leave nothing on the property.

Tools go missing, wheel barrow which i bought brand new and used once, someone even stole my garden hose.

What is the best way to secure the building site?

Would signs help?But i think most of the things are stolen at night.

Was thinking a dog, but just inconvenient.

Keep plenty of lights on both inside and out. If you have neighbors. Slip em a case of beer and get them to keep an eye out.( assuming they are not your theif)

Building sites are a place where everyone visits and think that if you leave something on site,they have the right to take it.:mad:
I lost last month all my electrical s,including cordless drill,Nicad batteries,power box,leads,all worth about $500
Really pissed me off,
A couple of years ago I lost a $350 \ 6 metre plank,
I don't know what the answer is but i just go day by day and I don't leave anything on site that will hamper my next days work.
I can only say to myself if something gets pinched,I will buy something better:D

For our business we deliver one of those big steel tool boxes on wheels with a hinged padlocked lid to site and massively chain it into place. You need 4 big men to lift one of these babies when they're empty (but we usually just hire a hiab crane truck and deliver them full of tools and consumables). They work a treat. Never lost a thing on site in years!

Your neighbours are your best friends - before starting a job, go over, introduce yourself, let them know what you're doing, ask them when they're home/if they have babies in case of noise/repositioning your generator somewhere else/chatting to your contractors about it and they will be so grateful that they'll keep an eye on the place for you.

If it's a naked site, a small shipping container that you can lock up with a piece of C channel welded over the padlock area to stop boltcutters is ideal. Besides it's good for keeping things like screws/nails/tile glue/paint out of the weather when you aren't using them.

Once you have a structure up, find a room to designate as a strongroom and put a second hand solid core door on it with deadlock.

Lastly, the most important one is - are you ready for it? You sure? Sure sure?

...actually be bothered putting your tools away at the end of the day :D

torch, comfy chair and a good book.... and most importantly a nail gun with the tip pushed back as you wait all night for the SOB.

neighbors to be honest is your best bet... beside taking all your main tools with you on the ute..

Currently building at the moment, and is a fence all around, just ridiculous the things that are getting stolen from my property.

Tools go missing, wheel barrow which i bought brand new and used once, someone even stole my garden hose.

I recently finished building my house and we had some of our rio and pine studs go missing over several weeks, even though it was behind a locked temp fence.

I bought a couple of wireless camera's from Dick smith and installed them in clear view of the street.

Never had a problem after that.

Shotgun and a sleeping bag?

Living in a construction site for the past 3 years, I have come to realise just how brazen people are in stealing. I have seen people climbing on roof's and steeling tiles at night; taking trailerloads of dirt, wood and brick off unfenced sites; hear about someone coming in the next morning to find they were missing their water tank. Some people are pathetic excuses for human beings.

When we were landscaping the IP after it had been built, we made certain to go around and talk to the neighbours and get on friendly terms. They kept an eye on things for us (although we still took all the tools offsite overnight) and they still continue to keep an eye on the place and the tenants for us. All it cost us was a friendly 'hello'.

and a sleeping bag?

which will come handy when you're in jail...:D

Often its kids looking around building sites and although you would feel good giving them a good punishment the law won't let you get away with it.

I'd say good fencing, signage and lighting are important
but nothing replaces packing up your things at the end of the day and locking them up.

Cheap sensor lights from bunnings, $25 each. fake cameras in plain view $50. If your fencing is good, you can hire guard dogs, not sure on cost. They come pick em up in the morning and drop em off in the arvo. Even if you just did it for a week, I reckon they would be terrified the thing would be lurking in the shadows from then on. Also having security drop by at intervals isn't that expensive.

What about getting a small shipping container delivered, and a massive padlock on it. Surely these can be hired, if you have room.

Back