How do painters and tilers charge?

I've got some "how much" questions. I've always done everything myself and have no idea how much I should expect to pay tradies for certain jobs.

Firstly how do painters normally charge? Per room, per square metre? And how much should I expect to pay?

Also to tile a fireplace such as this
n_fireplace_before.jpg
what should I expect to pay?

Thanks guys :)

Why dont you get a few trade people around to inspect first hand and get quotes?.. its the only way you are going to find out.

I wouldn't charge a m2 rate to do a fireplace like that. I would do a hourly rate and cost plus on the materials.

Make sure tiler also investigates adhesive service temperatures so the glue/grout doesn't burn or delaminate due to heat.

Best get a few tilers around to have a look, as some may just look at it, turn their nose up and screw you on a quote. You will know pretty much straight away who is genuinely interested in doing the work.

pinkboy

Most tilers won't tile straight over the brickwork - it may need to be rendered or the tiles laid with a bed.

Also do the rounds of the tile shops to get an idea of tiles which can be used for the hearth and fireplace surround.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was posting just to get a general idea of what I could expect to pay if I had the tiling done, and what the going price is for painting. My neighbor had the complete outside of her house painted and the quotes ranged from $4000 up to $12000 with a lot of prices in between... so it's hard to judge what is a reasonable price to pay.

I am happy to answer your question but you didn't really say what you wanted painted?

I thought that too.

I currently charge around $1450/ton for primer/topcoat. Does that help? :D

The last tiling job I did recently was a touch under $30k for 35.5m2. I will let on that it included the tiles and adhesive as well! :p

pinkboy

Firstly how do painters normally charge? Per room, per square metre? And how much should I expect to pay?
:)
Depends on the painter,if they are a tradesman not brush hands then the hourly rate in Brisbane is above 40 per hour,and you supply the paint iv'e found it better on hourly rate because you both know roughly the time frame,..imho..

I am happy to answer your question but you didn't really say what you wanted painted?

So do you charge differently depending on what I want painted? i.e will you charge more for an outside wall as opposed to an inside wall because of more prep possibly involved? Or a flat rate hourly rate or per scope of project?

The projects vary, that's why I didn't ask for specifics. I mean basically there's interior painting, and exterior and roof on a house. I know there's different preps for different materials.

So do you charge differently depending on what I want painted? i.e will you charge more for an outside wall as opposed to an inside wall because of more prep possibly involved? Or a flat rate hourly rate or per scope of project?

The projects vary, that's why I didn't ask for specifics. I mean basically there's interior painting, and exterior and roof on a house. I know there's different preps for different materials.

I do charge different for ext and interior as exterior I don't have to worry about my shoes and furnitur, carpet etc.
Roof is a different again because of the danger aspects.
If I was you I would get three quotes off the one painter and go from there

I do charge different for ext and interior as exterior I don't have to worry about my shoes and furnitur, carpet etc.
Roof is a different again because of the danger aspects.
If I was you I would get three quotes off the one painter and go from there

Hey Painter

I have a Brissy house that requires a full internal paint. Can you let me know your details and if you're available for a quote at all asap? House is a post-war in Balmoral. Feel free to email me as I don't have PM service [email protected] Thanks!!

Back