how long have you been on Somersoft

I joined somersoft in 2003 had been lurking a couple of years
earlier. wonder if the people from back then are still here and are they still
involved in the wonderfull property investing.

I think of the top 30 members (by join date) nearly half have been on the site this year and many over the last few months. You would recognize many regulars such as Sim, Kristine, Rixter, Simon, Rolf Latham, NigelW, Michael Yardney, Lawjs and Ian Somers

Though I recall reading that there was an older version of the Forum prior to its 9 years of Somersoft on vBulletin

The posters above could probably give more info, as they are a veritable font...

Last edited:
I joined in August 2003. Married, working, renovating, travelling.

October, 2011. Widow, retired, renovating, travelling more :D

I joined sometime in 2001, after reading Jan's book. The original forum. The Wife and Dale GG are notables from back then that haven't been mentioned yet. Geoff Doidge (I think that's how it's spelt) posted back then as well.

I stumbled across this forum after reading a post by someone on an unrelated forum, and came over for a look. All I can say is wow, this place is terrific, and I have learned so much. This forum has made a huge difference in my investing life and I am very thankful for peoples' participation, especially when we get into solid debate about ideas and strategies that doesn't degenerate into name calling.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, I've been a member since mid 2007.

Total Newcomer!

I only joined yesterday and find it quite interesting....
But have been investing in property since year 2000.

I think I joined back then too, says so in the top right once I post...

Just checked, nah, a year later in 2004, but I had been lurking prior. And to answer your other question, I'm still definately involved in the resi investment game. Moved into small time developments and value add in general now.

Cheers,
Michael

I remember discovering this site about 6 years when I was researching a Perth property advisor who used to do a weekly gig on AM radio. For some reason the username Redwing and the person I was looking up really sticks in my head. :confused: I think I found there conversations amusing. Would that be right Redwing or are my memories incorrect?? I think I may have been a member years before that and forgotten my login. Now I try to stay off but it is too adictive and entertaining!! Better than days of our lives. :D

Just joined this month after discovering it from another forum discussing 'Passive Income'. But how I wish I have discovered this place long time ago...It sure would have saved from from the mess I'm into...

Anyway, hoping to leverage this forum and learn tons of things along the way... :)

7-3-2001 is the eqrliest post I can find on weboard even though "joined date" says 2002.
I'm sure I was posting before 2001 as well...in fact I remember meeting with some folks in 1999 in Newcastle who were members....as part of the Freestylers network created by "The Wife"...

7-3-2001 is the eqrliest post I can find on weboard even though "joined date" says 2002.
I'm sure I was posting before 2001 as well...in fact I remember meeting with some folks in 1999 in Newcastle who were members....as part of the Freestylers network created by "The Wife"...

Yes I remember those folk. I joined in the late 90's under HT or high there or something equally as amusing..not.
Boy o boy did I learn some stuff in the early days.

I don't know the date I joined, but I remember 9/11 because I was in the US at the time. We had just closed our business prior to this. I remember sitting upstairs in the stinking filthy room we had in the business researching property and posting on the forum. I also remember The Wife etc.

Based on that, I estimate that I originally joined around 1999/2000. What happened to the earlier posts, I'm not sure. I know they are there, but I can't find them.

I joined late 1999, basically from when Ian & Jan Somers started the (original) forum board.

Over that time I've noticed the influx of new members that's come with each wave of property growth.

Last edited:
The Freestyler network came much later, probably around 2001 or 2002?

So it came later or you're not sure Sim...?

Im sure as I was living on the coast till early 2000 then moved back to the bush mid 2000 so I wouldn't have been attending any meetings in Newcastle from then on....anyway, whatever, been here a long time and certainly longer than the official thingy shows....maybe because I think my first handle was Thorpedo or thorpey or something along those lines and may have joined twice in the early days.

What I do remember is the forum used to be so slow and each thread was divided up with replys to certain posts cascading down on an angle to the right... or general replys to the thread listed directly below. Very basic in the beginning and a credit to Sim and all Mods to get where we are today.

Well done....!

I just got deja vu....:D

Back