How much for a new wall+door?

ive never done anything signficiant strucutralwise,
the most ive done is replace a few supporting frames affected by termites,

the property im looking at is in QLD, and one of the rooms is very long 3-4m wide and 8-10 long, currently only has one door into it, and is used as a bdr, my aim would be to turn into 2 bdrs

realistically, how much would it cost/ how hard would it to be put in a dividing wall, using a local tradie and not a building company?

for the door, is it a simple case of get a saw out, cut through the frame, put a few pieces of timber as the frame, install the 3-5 pieces of skirt, and then install door?

for the wall, is it a case of putting in the frames where the 1200 gyprock sheets meet, and putting in the skirts?

thanks eveyrone

TMNT, It would probably cost a couple of grand to have a carpenter build a stud wall and fit a door.

I did some work along these lines to our house down the South East last year. The house internal layout was poorly designed as it was necessary to walk through the second bedroom to get to the main bedroom. Here are some photos of before during and after the alterations -
Before -

066-1.jpg

During -

036-3.jpg

After -

069-2.jpg

I am not a carpenter, but do a bit of renovation work. When building a door frame it is essential to build it square and to suit the door size. If you google how to build a door frame there are plenty of "how to build a door frame" posts on the net.

Hope this helps.

Stangman.

Stagman that is fantastic!

I'm not confident enough to do it myself, but was looking to hire a handyman or a carpenter, so was wondering how hard it is, ie would I be asking for trouble asking for a handyman to do it?

Just a few questions, did you paint the skirts/ wall before you attach them or wait until its done, as it can be pretty hard to paint skirts when you.ve got so little room for error when fbs underneath

And I assume you meant to be careful about building the frame to suit the door size which I agree with

I think a handyman would need to be licenced to do that sort of job. If he stuffed it up he's gotta fix it.

Skirting boards are painted after the're fixed to the wall as you have to putty up the nail holes.

You can use masking tape to ensure you paint a straight edge. There are also plastic devices which can help you paint (get em from paint or hardware shops).

But an experienced painter can just use a small brush and with a steady hand, it'll look magic.

You can build the door frame to fit a standard door size, but also you can have doors custom made to fit the frame.

wow man super nice job there. I'm always super impressed by anyone who can do anything even remotely handy. As i'm about as hopeless as it gets when it comes to that type of stuff =(

There are times when it would be easier to call in a Tradesman

I have been having an ongoing battle with Bees for a couple of years at the house down the South East. Finally won the battle, but the Bees had destroyed the stud wall, gyprock and tile cladding in the external bathroom walls - ok - i might have made it worse by pouring a few different potions into the walls in my attempts to get rid of them.

This is what i found after removing the tile cladding and wet area gyprock -

DSC00719.jpg

The timber studs were rotten and needed replacing. Problem was compounded by the fact the old studs were the old imperial sizes so the timber i had bought was not the right size - so i had to improvise by adding spacers of 8mm to make it the right size to suit the wall thickness.

I replaced the 10mm gyprock with 6mm Fibre Cement sheets which are quite heavy. I work on my own so had to use 900mm wide sheets instead of 1200mm sheets which meant i had to double up a few of the studs to allow for joins. Here is the new studwork -

071_zps9c654dca.jpg

737_zpsa043cdbd.jpg

Fitted the Insulation and Fibre Cement sheets yesterday -

747_zps766df4e8.jpg

So far this job has taken 2 Long Weekends. Still have to do waterproofing, remove and replace the gyprock on the ceiling, fit the cornice and fit an exhaust fan. Then i will find a Tiler to finish it off.

Yesterday i was lamenting the fact i chose to this job on my own. Why?
My wife was complaining bitterly about not having the use of the shower. The screws i had bought for the job were 25mm long and when screwing the Fibre Cement sheets into position they were not giving enough bite into the timber to enable them to recess slightly into the sheets. Found a packet of 40mm long screws in the shed and they made all the difference. Now i will need to replace some of the shorter screws before the waterproofing.

Then when i screwed the Shower Rose into position i found the Thread on the pipe is not very long. Once the Tiles are fitted there will be no Thread left to screw the Rose back on. Hopefully i can buy some sort of extension adaptor to overcome this. If not, the Fibre Cement sheet will have to come off to fit a copper pipe with a longer thread.

As i wrote - Sometimes it would be easier to pay a Tradesman!
Stangman.

That doorway change looks great! and a year ago I had a bee-sludge wall just like that!

Hi pitstop, Thanks - You know that job was not easy. The dividing wall between the 2 bedrooms is on a lean of about 25mm top to bottom. If you look at the RHS of the stud framing photo you can see the different size blocks i had to use in order to square it up.

How did you get rid of the Bees in your wall? I tried many methods and eventually found a product called Coopex. It is in powder form. You mix it with water in a sprayer and spray it inside the wall cavity. Took 2 applications, but thankfully the bees moved on.

Stangman.

True,but think of all the $$$ you saved

Hi Datto, It would have cost a fair bit - It was a lot of work.

I have a real unhealthy aversion to paying tradesman to do work. Hear of too many stories where they charge like wounded bulls and take shortcuts.

I had thought in country areas they would not be so greedy, but then i was charged $750 to have a split system air cond installed. Too much in my opinion for half a days work.
Did have a good experience with the local Plumber who fitted an Instant Hot Water service, fixed a leaky sink pipe in the bathroom and hooked up the pipes in the new kitchen. Only charged $350 for all that work. Very fair price, so no, they are not all greedy SOBs.

Stangman.

Did have a good experience with the local Plumber who fitted an Instant Hot Water service, fixed a leaky sink pipe in the bathroom and hooked up the pipes in the new kitchen. Only charged $350 for all that work. Very fair price, so no, they are not all greedy SOBs.

Stangman.

Tradies like that are worth their weight in gold!

Back