how much should a garage cost to build?

we are wanting to build a self standing garage, approx 105 m2. it will be constructed from besser block, with a steel pitched roof, it will have no internal walls, ceiling or plasterboard, outside rendered perhaps, it will have 1 x double auto door, 1 x single auto door, 1 x rollerdoor, with a couple of windows. we have one quote so far which came in at $55,000. we thought this seems very expensive, has anyone else built similar to compare?

I think that 55k is not too bad for what you are building. You might get a little cheaper maybe. I guess this includes concrete slab as well?

I am building some horse stables at present and the structure not including fitout will cost around that. I am using concrete tilt up panels and are making them myself so costs are reduced in that respect.

Get yourself a few quotes and compare what is included in each quote as well.

Cheers

thats the size of a red brick home...

perhaps find people whop can do the labour and you get your own products... or use cheaper materials e.g. weatherboard.

Might be cheaper to build a timber frame, clad with cement sheeting and then rendering that. I'm not sure what the requirements, legally, for something like that might be - but I'm sure it'll be cheaper.

Sounds huge - our double garage is 6m x 6m or 36 m2.
Yours will be almost 3 times that size?

As Nathan said, that's the size of many houses...
Marg

It sounds expensive but we had a colourbond garage (6x9x2.7m) about half the area and it cost 15k- (a few years ago so it would be more now).

Makes me think twice about replacing my 8x15m shed. Which is in terrible condition. Problem is if I spent $55k building a new one the total value of this property would only go up by $500 so there's no point at all throwing that sort of money away.

Hi Elf. Your house sounds really quite fascinating. I realise you probably don't want to post a photo of the outside, but, being a former funeral parlour and being such an old building, is it grand looking? (I'm picturing the funeral parlour from Six Feet Under.)

Whilst many of the old parlours had fabulous architecture, no way could I live in one :eek: even if all the bodies were gone.

It is one of the earlier buildings in the town and is very plain and clearly handmade - very rough hewn, no quoins, crooked bits everywhere, no ornamentation, some quite visible marks of being handmade in the plastering here and there. It just has huge rooms, very thick walls and very high ceilings. The hospital and the newer post office are the ones with fancy mouldings and decorative bits. And of course the building was converted to a house by inept morons so the floor isn't level, the carpet is hideous (only two rooms left of it), the bathroom (bath and loo kind of plunked in the corners of a very large room) is the worst eyesore in the universe etc, and then they stripped the house of everything - nailed down or not - when they sold it.

I was looking for photos of my daughter last night and found all my 'before' shots of the house when it was freshly bought, amazing how much it has changed in the 5 years I've had it. It was a real tip. The 'before' shots of the kitchen are horrific, and the garden was just an expanse of weeds. One day I'll clear the house of the usual layer of toys and computer bits and take some 'after' photos ... but its not finished ... can't take 'after' shots when its not finished ...

Oh and I found out the formal bank valuation today - bought for $25k in 2003, had around $25-30k spent on it (vast majority of that is in the roof and tanks not the interior), now officially worth $75k. Hardly seems worth it, eh? I've got more magic equity fairy money out of the other house in 4 months by REMOVING the kitchen and ripping holes all over the place :confused: But its a house, its way bigger than we need, and its very cheap. And it has a huge shed ...

was this including DA's and all charges, if so sounds ok to me, at 100 sq meters, costs come in at about $300 sq meter, $300 x 100 = 30,000 and then some builder profits and GST , their you have it, if a builder couldent make $20k out of this why would they bother, just not worth the effort otherwise?

55K sounds expensive but that's a massive garage you're building. Perhaps the only way u can save a bit is to organize your own tradies etc. Should be a very basic/straightfoward process for a garage.

It would be cheaper if you use a wooden frame to box it in and then blueboard. Blueboard looks great rendered.

Wishing you every success,

Ana

Back