How much to remove these trees?

I just had a similar thing done a week ago here in sydney. 1 x very large gum tree, 2 x medium (10mtr) gums, all stump ground well under the ground level ( 600 - 1000mm) by the biggest stump grinder you will ever see in your life, and chipped. $1000.00 CASH.
Have had quotes before on my property for lopping but ended up hiring cherry picker etc and doing it myself, however this one was better left to the experts and it was a reasonable price.
cheers, geoff

Those prices are about right for such trees.

One thing you will need to consider is that if any of those trees are near or under the slab than you will need to look at getting the trees bulldozed while they do the site cut. This will be more expensive but it will be difficult to get the stumps removed if they have been ground and it could end up being more costly.

This method of clearing a site is generally more expensive.

The reason why you do not want stumps or large roots below your slab is that it can be an entry point for termites and over time as the stump decays is cause structural problems.

As a builder I would insist the site be properly cleared prior to starting construction.

Those prices are about right for such trees.

One thing you will need to consider is that if any of those trees are near or under the slab than you will need to look at getting the trees bulldozed while they do the site cut. This will be more expensive but it will be difficult to get the stumps removed if they have been ground and it could end up being more costly.

This method of clearing a site is generally more expensive.

The reason why you do not want stumps or large roots below your slab is that it can be an entry point for termites and over time as the stump decays is cause structural problems.

As a builder I would insist the site be properly cleared prior to starting construction.

Thanks Sailesh

Plan A was to push them over with a 20 ton excavator thus clearing the root system at the same time. The tree loppers both said that it would be much quicker for them to drop the trees themselves and then either grind the stumps out or dig them out.

I guess if the 2nd quote (2.1k) included grinding I could always just get them to fell and mulch the trees then get a machine out seperately to dig out the stumps. This would reduce their quote to probably around 1.5k. I could probably then get a 9 ton machine to remove and dump the stumps for around $600.

Only one of the trees is over where the garage slab will be but it is on top of where the cut is deep (over 1metre) so the bulk of the root ball would be removed from the excavated area regardless.

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

We had similar sized trees on a site recently and our excavator preferred the the stumps to be left behind as this gave him some leverage while trying to get the stumps removed.

council restrictions

Check with the council on whether native trees can be cut down, you may need a special permit. Or an arborist to check if trees diseased and need to be cut for safety. I had three gum trees cut down in 2002 for about $1200 each tree.

Back