How old is your TV?

Wow a 22 yr old tv, thats older than a few of the forumites.

I bought one of the cheaper end 42" Plasma's about 10 months ago. A Samsung for about $1500 but I had the spare cash available. Actually I confess I bought a small LCD as well for the bedroom but hey property has been good to me the last few years. :D

My hubby's mate reckons he invented the first remote control telly when he was about 15 but it never made it into production.

He cut off a bit of old, sun stiffened garden hose the length that would reach from the couch to the telly, shoved the end onto the knob that turned it on and off, and also controlled the volume.

Hey presto!!! Whoever held the end of the hose could turn the telly on and off and turn it down during the ads :p .

Ours is 20, so it's old enough to vote. Our 2nd TV is 16 yrs old.

When one stops working or when we're forced to change, we'll get a big screen. No priority at present. Just a commodity that's becoming cheaper by the day.

Mine is a 6 year old Metz Altlantis (82cm widescreen). Regarded by some as one of the best CRT TV's ever made. The picture is so good that I'm not inclined to update to an LCD or Plasma anytime soon, despite all the HD hype. I've got a non HD set top box with hard drive, DVD player and I'm happy as a clam.

Which TV? We've got five of them. :p

The main one in the lounge is only a couple of years old, a 101cm LCD. It replaced an old Blaupunkt CRT that was about 15 or more years old (it was my wife's from before we married, so I'm not sure the exact age). Half the buttons on the remote for that one had been chewed off, thanks to an inquistive guinea pig.

For the other TVs, the two adult kids each have their own in their bedrooms, there's a smaller Sony CRT in our bedroom, and my wife has a cheap LCD in "her" room - what used to be the third kid's bedroom. She likes to play karaoke videos on it...

And despite having so many TVs in the house, I really don't watch very much at all.

GP

Far out does it even have a remote?!

Ours is 6yo. No LCD's or plasma's here!

Nope no remote, but it's connected to the video player which has a remote. So we can change the chanel with it but can't turn it on/off or adjust the volume.

When hubby and I first moved together, it was the first time either of us had lived out of home, so family members gave us practically everything (except, bed, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher and dryer, we bought them new, but took cups, glasses, plates, cutlery, dining table, lounge suite, TV etc. It's been nearly 7 years now, and after building two house, getting married and going on an overseas honeymoon and having two adorable children, we still find ourselves with the same 2nd hand stuff, lol. We replaced the dining table last year but I still expect it to be some time away before we get a new TV and lounge etc. We still haven't got window treatments, light fittings or landscaping done on this house yet (moved in 6 mths ago) and now we've just bought our first IP. Hehe.

Ours is 3 years old (not plasma or anything fancy) - it was bought out of necessity after our 24 year old Panasonic one died! :(

Cheers
LynnH

Don't know. :D I acquired it somehow during past 3 years. Must've been one of my mates who left it. I would guesstimate it's around 8-10 y.o.

There is nothing to watch on TV anyway.

We survived for our first 2 years living in our PPOR with a 34cm TV that I purchased from my PT job while in high school - that made it about 8 years old when we moved in together.

We then upgraded to a very nice Loewe in 1998, and kept the 34cm as a spare (bedroom TV for winter).

Just 2 months ago, we upgraded the Loewe to a 50 inch Plasma, and the Loewe and it's TV cabinet moved into our bedroom. The 34cm is still going strong and would have to be older than 20 years now.

Cheers
Buddybee

I adopted my parent's old Sony television when they upgraded to a plasma, it must be at least 9 years old. The colour is fading around the edges and it's a monster of a thing. Before that I didn't have a television and even now I rarely turn it on.

We have another case of an aopted one. I' say my friend had it for 5 years, and we've probably had it another 5....

Cheers,

The Y-man

18 month old Sony LCD ... 115 cm diagonal. Love it.

Gave my old one - a still working 48cm Masuda, 18 years old, to my brother. That thing was deeper than it was wide, and had to sit away from the wall or it left a grey square of dust behind ...

Exactly
2 less than a year old
3 less than 5
1 less than 10

6 here as well, but no plasma.

My 9 year old was saving for a plasma :rolleyes:, but has now decided to keep his $1082 in the bank, simply because he doesn't want to part with it.

The kid hates spending his Birthday, Xmas and $5 per week pocket money, and has only spent about $100 of his money in the last 3 years (still whinging about one purchase being a waste, a year later :confused:).

My 9 year old was saving for a plasma :rolleyes:, but has now decided to keep his $1082 in the bank, simply because he doesn't want to part with it.

The kid hates spending his Birthday, Xmas and $5 per week pocket money, and has only spent about $100 of his money in the last 3 years (still whinging about one purchase being a waste, a year later :confused:).

Holy mackeral! How did you raise a kid like that! Well done :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

The kid hates spending his Birthday, Xmas and $5 per week pocket money

$5 a week pocket money? It's really refreshing to hear of someone that age with $5 a week pocket money? Usually it's in the $20 or $30 region - and I can never work out what they're spending it on ...

We had only one TV for many years- a little one which we one from a chook raffle at the local pub, not long after we moved into the area.

I like a little fling at the pokies. Every now and then. But I figure that because we've done OK in the past, I probably cannot do much better in the future.

Kids do not get pocket money. They have to work in Dad's business (or any other business really) to earn money.

Back