How to determine where each state is in the property cycle

Adelaide has always been "on the cusp of warming" since I've been investing in property. :) but lovely town. SA needs a resource BOOM ... and I mean "get off your rectal " BOOM. First boom gotta rid of all them churches .... then dude's are bad mothers ...:eek: LL

HH0W1VU.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Yup, I just saw a place in a slightly nicer location than mine, fully renoed and on a similar size block (but not a corner) for $40k less than I sold for in 2012.

Nice chart ... but ...

To whoever posted the lovely chart ... very good ... that's what I mean ...always warm .... every city gets a seat at the average table ... doubles every 7 to 10 years. That's the norm..... but not a boom. Show the same chart for Perth or other places in WA. There you go. ;) LL

There you go ..

The results are in ...
City of churches ... from 2001 to 2010; Median $210K to $450K ; 114% increase.
City of the Freeo doctor ...same years; Median $190K to $500K; 163% increase.
..so investor's in Perth achieved 49% more growth over the period.
And some WA regionals I reckon would have done much better than Perth (but also more risky...) . What a difference a few hundred million tons of iron ore makes ! LL

Thanks, Dave, for the chart :)

There are a couple of crazy stuff in there. 20% inflation in 1978...whoa!! Home loan interest 17% in 1989. Scary :eek:

If the graph is to be believed then we should be buying in Canberra, Adelaide or Brisbane.

Having visited Brisbane i'm not entirely convinced prices will rise a lot next yr. This yr has shown pretty good growth for Brisbane.

if we get a change in government then i think canberra would be a good buy, as i'd expect Labor to start hiring more public servants again. - what do people think of this ?

If the graph is to be believed then we should be buying in Canberra, Adelaide or Brisbane.

Not necessarily, the is just one person's subjective view and should not be used to guide buying decisions. IMO it's a good guide to where to start your research and due diligence.

Having visited Brisbane i'm not entirely convinced prices will rise a lot next yr. This yr has shown pretty good growth for Brisbane.

if we get a change in government then i think canberra would be a good buy, as i'd expect Labor to start hiring more public servants again. - what do people think of this ?

mmmm, Canberra is misplaced... should be below Hobart. At least Hobart might be starting a recovery, Canberra isn't... and won't for a while. You ask about Labor getting in. We are only 1 year into a 3 year political cycle of a Lib government. Might be a good time to buy if you've got a long term horizon (and can hold a -ve property in that time).

I would like to see the rationale behind some of the placements in this graph. I would agree that Brisbane is further up the cycle. I have been subscribing RE.com.au for a few areas in Brisbane over the last 12 or so months and have seen asking prices rising steadily.

From comments on SS generally, I would say Bris is further up than Adelaide (unless others have intel to place them both together).

Back