How uselessly pathetic was that budget?

his cancerous legacy will endure for decades.

Amen.

136 Billion in debt racked up in 4 years.....not including the 22 Billion in the coffers they spent that was sitting there.

Not a bad effort !!

I hope you're all happy and comfortable with what you got for your 158 Billion.....ahhh, should I say foreign banks money....that they want back.

Even if Swan manages to pull a miracle out of his **** and achieve this promised 1.5 Billion surplus, how long do ya reckon it'll take to get rid of the 136 Billion of debt he's racked up ??

136 / 1.5 = over 90 years.

....but as we all know, last year Swan said he'd manage a budget with a 22 Billion deficit, but it ended up being a 47.7 Billion deficit.

As we all know, Labor can't manage money. None of 'em have ever managed anything to do with money or business in their life......the best they have on their CV is a choof raffle at the local union club.

Yep - decades doesn't even begin to cut it Ausprop.

I wouldn't be implying HiE is biased here, Bzly. He's repeatedly affirmed his strong pro-Liberal party voting disposition.

Agree that there's a very far way back, very likely unbridgeable in the context of the Thomson/Slipper repellant. The 8 point 2pp swing in this context does however suggest that the electorate isn't as economically illiterate as Abbott & Co are hoping.

Not implying that.

I was making a simple observation. HiE's post just simply reminded me.

Absolute stroke of genius.

The Minister in charge was demoted by Rudd after 4 deaths, over a 100 fires and numerous cases of fraud.

Then much of the insulation was ripped out and dumped at the tip and much of the insulation left in the roofs does not insulate.

Pretty much defines what the Labor considers a successful undertaking.

So, was Abbot responsible for all deaths in the health care system while he was health minister then?

According to insurance company representatives there was no increase in the rate of house fires caused by faulty insulation installations. Of course with many more houses insulated there will be more fires overall.
Yes there were problems with administering the program in some States more than others due to failings in the public service, IMHO.
Not so much trouble in SA because here installers need to be licensed under a system regulated by OCBA

The failure of the Government to properly implement this scheme led to the Government implementing an audit scheme for all homes that were insulated with foil and for 15% of homes with pink batts to check there is no fire or electrocution risk.

According to insurance company representatives there was no increase in the rate of house fires caused by faulty insulation installations. Of course with many more houses insulated there will be more fires overall.
Yes there were problems with administering the program in some States more than others due to failings in the public service, IMHO.
Not so much trouble in SA because here installers need to be licensed under a system regulated by OCBA

Get your rational, fair and balanced factually correct position out of this thread.

So, was Abbot responsible for all deaths in the health care system while he was health minister then?

There a difference between spending money on a targeted program that lead to deaths of healthy people compared to not spending money on a behemoth of a program that lead to the deaths of unheathy people.

Turn it up....where did this bizarre notion come from that the Liberal team are on a par with this joke of a Govt....who will go down in history as the worst ever.

There is a swath of massive, prudent experience in the Liberal team left over from the Howard Govt. There is a wealth of good experience there.

This isn't like in 2007 where you had a well oiled team kicking goal after goal, tackled the debt issue down to zero and were putting money away for a rainy day, thank the Lord they did with the GFC just around the corner.

They handed over to a team with zero experience, led by little Rin Tin Tin, a "me too me too" followed by a bunch of union hacks who had never managed anything in their lives, and no-one in the team had a jot of experience of being a Minister.

.....and look what happened.....it all went to custard.

If you're a Liberal voter Bayview, and you're of the lowly opinion that the Lib team can't do a worse job than the current mob, then you need to get off your toosh and do some solid research. They are chalk and cheese.

Liberal Govt..............................Factor........................Labor Govt

19.7 Billion surplus (2007)...........Budget................47.7 Billion deficit (2011)

8.1 Billion surplus (96-07).........Average Budget......41.7 Billion deficit (08 - 11)

44.8 Billion in the black (07).......Net Govt Debt.........132.6 Billion in the red (12)

-3.8% (2007).........................Net Debt % GDP..........8.9% (2012)

1.02 Billion in earnings (07)........Net Govt interest payments........5.87 Billion in payments (12)

As a country, this Labor Govt has gone from receiving 1 B / yr to paying 6 B /yr......every investor can understand that.

That's 7 Billion per year every year ripped out of the Aussie budget....and will continue to be ripped out and sent overseas, until some Liberal Treasurer - once again, just like before - comes along and pays down the mountain of Labor debt.

It's a farce....there is no comparison.

I think I said they wouldn't do a worse job...which would mean they would do a better one - which wouldn't be hard I'd say.

What gets me about these pollies is how they can seemingly make such massive mistakes in their professional capacity to run the joint.

Get your rational, fair and balanced factually correct position out of this thread.

Rudd accepts more responsibility than you think he should,

Insulation aftermath

All homes that were insulated with foil under the scheme will now be audited amid fears about 1,000 could be live.

Fifteen per cent of homes insulated with pink batts will also be audited to check there is no fire or electrocution risk.

On Wednesday, the Government pledged to spend $41 million on assistance for up to 6,000 insulation employees who could end up out of work after the sudden end to program.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-26/garrett-pays-price-for-insulation-debacle/344666

And the Government is finalising another assistance package for businesses who may struggle until the new scheme starts in June.

Mr Rudd said yesterday that he was "disappointed with himself" for not asking more questions about the scheme.

"In the pace of events last year it's easy in hindsight to say we should have asked more questions, but we didn't have time, but I accept responsibility for that," he told the 7.30 Report.

I think I said they wouldn't do a worse job...which would mean they would do a better one - which wouldn't be hard I'd say.

What gets me about these pollies is how they can seemingly make such massive mistakes in their professional capacity to run the joint.

Career politicians who rise through the ranks of the unions (less common now) or student politics.

It's something which both sides are guilty of, and is something which means pollies are even more removed from something resembling reality, despite them wearing speedos/hard hats/hi-vis.

In my inner city area of Newcastle there is shop for lease along the entire street.

A few suburbs over there are quite a few empty shops.

Is this indicative of anything, or just a continuation of the existing situation in my area over the last 15 years, with one area having much higher vacancy levels than the other.

We've had 3 shops close down here in Dromana in the last 12 months.

One; a lady clothes shop who closed the doors and now runs her business from home on-line.

The others; a Chiropractic practice and more recently the Disposals store which has been there for decades.

There a difference between spending money on a targeted program that lead to deaths of healthy people compared to not spending money on a behemoth of a program that lead to the deaths of unheathy people.

If you want to get pedantic then...

Is Howard responsible for the death of every single soldier currently serving?

As has been pointed out above, in a polite way, there were issues with the accreditation schemes on a state level.

SA, like in planning matters, was ahead of the game and had no issues. States with the regulation and allowed anyone to do it without adequate checks in place had the issues.

To blame a federal minsiter or government for those kinds of problems is the same as blaming a health minister for mistakes in the public health system that lead to deaths.

The failure of the Government to properly implement this scheme led to the Government implementing an audit scheme for all homes that were insulated with foil and for 15% of homes with pink batts to check there is no fire or electrocution risk.

Yes, being the Government they had to respond in a responsible way. If it had been private sector they could have folded and walked away.

If you want to get pedantic then...

Is Howard responsible for the death of every single soldier currently serving?

As has been pointed out above, in a polite way, there were issues with the accreditation schemes on a state level.

SA, like in planning matters, was ahead of the game and had no issues. States with the regulation and allowed anyone to do it without adequate checks in place had the issues.

To blame a federal minisiter or government for those kinds of problems is the same as blaming a health minister for mistakes in the public health system that lead to deaths.

Agreed that there were problems with the accreditation at State levels, along with problems about shonky installation, house fires and fraud.

The Government was warned of these risks, but Garrett took 10 months to read of these warnings

"On Tuesday the ABC learned Mr Garrett's department was given a so-called "risk register" last April, which called for the insulation program to be delayed.

The risk register was prepared by the same consultancy firm that prepared a report about the scheme warning of house fires, fraud and shonky installation practices.

But Mr Garrett admitted he took 10 months to request a copy of that damning report."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-26/garrett-pays-price-for-insulation-debacle/344666

That is failure by the Government.

It's an old piece now, but still worth a read: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/insulation-fire-risk-was-worse-before-rebate-20100303-pivv.html.
For those who can't be bothered ;), one of its major points is that the risk of fires (and deaths) from insulation installations actually fell under the Pink Batt programs. And, yes, it has the stats. Misreporting and general obfuscation is to blame for public misunderstanding on this.
Also, regarding infrastructure and the BER, surely spending on schools is infrastructure? You can argue the success/failure of it if you like, but it's infrastructure.
And, to pick one example, our kids' primary school had a too-small hall expanded to accommodate its booming roll. It also had its 100-year-old roof replaced, bringing to an end winters of buckets in classrooms to collect drips of water. You won't find me arguing that that was a waste of money.
Most government schools aren't exactly awash with money. Almost any time they get something, it has to be good IMHO. (agreed, there were apparently more issues with this program in NSW than in Vic)

It's an old piece now, but still worth a read: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/insulation-fire-risk-was-worse-before-rebate-20100303-pivv.html.
For those who can't be bothered ;), one of its major points is that the risk of fires (and deaths) from insulation installations actually fell under the Pink Batt programs. And, yes, it has the stats. Misreporting and general obfuscation is to blame for public misunderstanding on this.
Also, regarding infrastructure and the BER, surely spending on schools is infrastructure? You can argue the success/failure of it if you like, but it's infrastructure.
And, to pick one example, our kids' primary school had a too-small hall expanded to accommodate its booming roll. It also had its 100-year-old roof replaced, bringing to an end winters of buckets in classrooms to collect drips of water. You won't find me arguing that that was a waste of money.
Most government schools aren't exactly awash with money. Almost any time they get something, it has to be good IMHO. (agreed, there were apparently more issues with this program in NSW than in Vic)

Don't you start with the relevant observations about the outstanding effectiveness of GFC stimulus spending, Tuppence. Sheesh!

I wasn't talking about appointing the blame for pink batt deaths ... I was declaring it a large piece of wasted non-infrastructure money.

Still reckon it is. And cost even more due to shoddy workmanship - but that was not the point. I still can't work out why a school canteen costs more than an entire house to build ... or why they spent $250,000 building a library for a school of less than 10 students, which close down the following year.

Bit like Newcastle council wanting to spend $250,000 on a single public toilet ... makes those two bath + powder room homes look cheap.

Last edited:
I was talking about appointing the blame for pink batt deaths ... I was declaring it a large piece of wasted non-infrastructure money.

Still reckon it is. And cost even more due to shoddy workmanship - but that was not the point. I still can't work out why a school canteen costs more than an entire house to build ... or why they spent $250,000 building a library for a school of less than 10 students, which close down the following year.

Bit like Newcastle council wanting to spend $250,000 on a single public toilet ... makes those two bath + powder room homes look cheap.

Sure there are examples of failings and you choose to remember and focus on those which were probably as a result of public service and State Government procedural shortcomings.
My youngest daughter is in private school where they were allowed to decide for themselves how to spend their stimulus allocation. They were able to bring forward a number of planned building projects by years because of the free money.

Back