How uselessly pathetic was that budget?

God, will you guys ever run out of things to whine about. Seriously.

hit my hip pocket to that magnitude and what do you expect? the stupid thing is blind freddie can see where its headed - so the govt needs to claw back dollars to recover what it squandered on plasmas and luxury school gyms out the back of burke and my neighbours insulation that they had for 3 months, so they pull back on private health cover, so it is dropped en masse, so the public system groans under the pressure, so now they need a new solution. wonder what that could be?

and ouch there's the sting - it wasn't free after all. and now the public health system will be over burdened as a result.

Well the whole idea of the stimulus was to support jobs, which seems to have worked. Lot's of local tradies were employed to do the work, hopefully paying their taxes and spending in the local shops. One thing the school did is improve disabled access around the school so that wheelchairs could reach all classrooms.

pull back on private health cover, so it is dropped en masse, so the public system groans under the pressure, so now they need a new solution. wonder what that could be?
It's inevitable that the public health system will be groaning with our aging population. It won't be long before all the GST revenue raised will be needed to fund the health budget.

"On Tuesday the ABC learned Mr Garrett's department was given a so-called "risk register" last April, which called for the insulation program to be delayed.

The risk register was prepared by the same consultancy firm that prepared a report about the scheme warning of house fires, fraud and shonky installation practices.

But Mr Garrett admitted he took 10 months to request a copy of that damning report."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-26/garrett-pays-price-for-insulation-debacle/344666

That is failure by the Government.

John Watson, from my earlier link:
''Garrett supposedly failed to act on detailed warnings. The much-touted Risk Register and Management Plan - a document prepared in less than a week by Minter Ellison for the princely fee of $28,985 - in fact details and approves of many actions already taken by April 9 in response to 19 specific risk assessments.

Contrary to many media reports, it did not warn of unacceptable risks of workplace deaths, accidents and fires.

*snip*

In only three categories, none to do with safety or the quality of installation and insulation products, did the register warn of continuing extreme risks - despite an ''adequate'' government response in two instances.''

That is a failure of reporting by the media.
He really is worth a read for anyone with a less than entrenched position on this ... aka, a mind that's open even a teensy crack.

Interestingly, he's torn apart the prevailing view of the Labor Govt's so-called soaring debt today. Also worth a good read - if you're in any way inclined to prefer fact over hyperbole and opinion. http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...--there-is-no-debt-crisis-20120514-1ymwg.html

Well the whole idea of the stimulus was to support jobs, which seems to have worked. Lot's of local tradies were employed to do the work, hopefully paying their taxes and spending in the local shops. One thing the school did is improve disabled access around the school so that wheelchairs could reach all classrooms.

it's not hard to stimulate - chuck cash around - at anything - and the economy will stimulate. This should hardly be seen as some sort of achievement. As seen, installing insulation and removing insulation and burying it did indeed get things going. If that is of value then we can all be proud to have the worlds greatest treasurer at the helm.

it's not hard to stimulate - chuck cash around - at anything - and the economy will stimulate. This should hardly be seen as some sort of achievement. As seen, installing insulation and removing insulation and burying it did indeed get things going. If that is of value then we can all be proud to have the worlds greatest treasurer at the helm.

Those of us that function in the real world and saw the amount of companies that were stopped from going under due to the complete dry up of work in the private sector may chose to disagree with you on that.

But of course, if it was a lib government you would be slavering all over it, and proclaiming to all what a good policy it was.

Yep. There were issues with how it was delivered, but much of that was down to lack of thought by state governments on how to implement the projects and how to police them.

Well around my area all the pink batt fiasco did was bring forward demand, out of towners were driving around with chinese made batts on a trailer ready to go.

Once the "music" stopped one insulation factory in Sydney closed down and laid off 100's of workers because people were dumping the imported batts (and still are by the looks of it in the papers), our local insulation guy employing 14 people had to lay off everyone and was back to 2 people.

Yes it created work for a short period of time but as always when things are not planned in an orderly business like way it causes more problems than it fixes.

Those of us that function in the real world and saw the amount of companies that were stopped from going under due to the complete dry up of work in the private sector may chose to disagree with you on that.

But of course, if it was a lib government you would be slavering all over it, and proclaiming to all what a good policy it was.

Yep. There were issues with how it was delivered, but much of that was down to lack of thought by state governments on how to implement the projects and how to police them.

oh there are so many issues in here I wouldn't know where to start. How about how Swan sat there grinning whilst allowing the banks to play fox in the hen house, swallowing up the competition, sacking the staff and sending their clients to the wall? all in the name of a strong banking sector of course. then telling them go forth and charge and do whatever you like because your bottom line is numero uno, all whilst the taxpayer backs you, again sending competition to the wall. Indeed perhaps a lot of the work dried up because the zombie banks were given the green light to rampage? I can tell you the only reason schools was the only job going was because the banks were running wild without a leash. Then Garret, who I think is a nice bloke and a dam good singer but unfortunately couldn't run a chook raffle, he stirs things a little and spends a few bob here and there but it doesn't really matter because in the real world it doesn't matter what blow it on as long as you blow it and apparantly the money was 'free'. anyway, other things to do. unfortunately this thread is a bit like this country... dominated by minority interests

Not to forget that the RBA made massive discount to the cash rate although the Labor government's fiscal stimulus did help. If there had been no massive discount to the cash rate I wonder how successful the fiscal stimulus would have been. However, wastage is deplorable and is a performance measure of a government. It is no use blaming bureaucrats and duck responsibility otherwise who is to supervise the bureaucrats? Just leave them to run their departmental policy programs?

John Watson, from my earlier link:
''Garrett supposedly failed to act on detailed warnings. The much-touted Risk Register and Management Plan - a document prepared in less than a week by Minter Ellison for the princely fee of $28,985 - in fact details and approves of many actions already taken by April 9 in response to 19 specific risk assessments.

Contrary to many media reports, it did not warn of unacceptable risks of workplace deaths, accidents and fires.

*snip*

In only three categories, none to do with safety or the quality of installation and insulation products, did the register warn of continuing extreme risks - despite an ''adequate'' government response in two instances.''

That is a failure of reporting by the media.
He really is worth a read for anyone with a less than entrenched position on this ... aka, a mind that's open even a teensy crack.

Interestingly, he's torn apart the prevailing view of the Labor Govt's so-called soaring debt today. Also worth a good read - if you're in any way inclined to prefer fact over hyperbole and opinion. http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...--there-is-no-debt-crisis-20120514-1ymwg.html

Garrett failed to even request a copy of the report for 10 months, Garrett would not have known whether he needed to act or not.

oh there are so many issues in here I wouldn't know where to start. How about how Swan sat there grinning whilst allowing the banks to play fox in the hen house, swallowing up the competition, sacking the staff and sending their clients to the wall? all in the name of a strong banking sector of course. then telling them go forth and charge and do whatever you like because your bottom line is numero uno, all whilst the taxpayer backs you, again sending competition to the wall. Indeed perhaps a lot of the work dried up because the zombie banks were given the green light to rampage? I can tell you the only reason schools was the only job going was because the banks were running wild without a leash. Then Garret, who I think is a nice bloke and a dam good singer but unfortunately couldn't run a chook raffle, he stirs things a little and spends a few bob here and there but it doesn't really matter because in the real world it doesn't matter what blow it on as long as you blow it and apparantly the money was 'free'. anyway, other things to do. unfortunately this thread is a bit like this country... dominated by minority interests

Maybe if there was still a national bank ;)

There were issues with the policy and how it was implemented. But it was generally sound policy. And plenty of liberal pollies that I have met would privately agree with that.

And your snide little comment at the end if just laughable. Grow up mate. Not every one is going to agree with you all the time.

Not to forget that the RBA made massive discount to the cash rate although the Labor government's fiscal stimulus did help. If there had been no massive discount to the cash rate I wonder how successful the fiscal stimulus would have been. However, wastage is deplorable and is a performance measure of a government. It is no use blaming bureaucrats and duck responsibility otherwise who is to supervise the bureaucrats? Just leave them to run their departmental policy programs?

Rudd, being the bookworm and nerd that he is thought there would be an easily implementable system put in place by state governments.

State governments, being state governments, and therefore largely incompetent regardless of what brand they are, sat around in blind panic working out what to do, before getting a bunch of 28 year olds to write some legislation to actually achieve what the federal government wanted (and what came out of COAG agreements).

This was delayed time and time again while various senior public servants messed around for a while.

Meantime there was money sitting in the pot.

Private project managers were then employed to oversea the construction of these works - be they public housing or education. This, by and large, went on ok, albeit some PMs were next to useless. But, that is consistent with all PMs around.

The issue came with allocating the funding - Rudd essentially thought that state governments would have had a list of works that needed to occur as a priority. They didn't. Because such a list would require thinking further away than the next opinion poll in the Daily Telegraph. Thereby meaning that money was spent in ways which wasn't perhaps ideal, and allocated in a similar way.

The situation was exacerbated by Rudd not having experience of how the state governments in particular worked from an outside perspective. But it was caused by successive state governments never really having any future vision for the provision of infrastructure and what to do to create a system of legislation that would actually allow that infrastructure to get built quickly and efficiently.

They were able to bring forward a number of planned building projects by years because of the free money....

and ouch there's the sting - it wasn't free after all.

Paying interest on the stinking pile of Labor debt at the rate of 5.89 Billion per year....umm no, it surely ain't free.....and that debt pile under Labor surely ain't getting any smaller.

2012 feels like 1995 when Keating was in charge.....Labor couldn't believe they had won the last election, they knew for damn sure they weren't going to win the next, and so just grew the debt pile as high as they could and partied on until the next dawn, when the true horror of the night's party was revealed for all to see.

That's OK, time to pick up the mop and bucket and clean up Labor's mess again......only this time the debt pile they've run up is nearly twice as high as what Keating ran up.

It took Howard and Costello 9 years to clean up Keating mess.

You can expect it will take a good decade at the very least to clean up Labor's economic pigsty this time around.

Maybe if there was still a national bank ;)

have long argued that one. And it should be done again

And your snide little comment at the end if just laughable. Grow up mate. Not every one is going to agree with you all the time.

not everyone and not all the time, but at least the majority. It wasn't intended to be snide - I thought it was insightful how the politics on a web forum are a replication of real life, with the minority jumping up and down and making all the noise

have long argued that one. And it should be done again

not everyone and not all the time, but at least the majority. It wasn't intended to be snide - I thought it was insightful how the politics on a web forum are a replication of real life, with the minority jumping up and down and making all the noise

No argument on 1 ;)

I think it's a lot healthier to actually debate these things rather than living in a bubble where everyone agrees with you.

I think others prefer that kind of life.

1st sentence just as laughable.

last sentence ok, fair enough acceptable.

Middle sentence, short snide play the man remark snuck in.

Good for the goose...?

1st sentence just as laughable.

last sentence ok, fair enough acceptable.

Middle sentence, short snide play the man remark snuck in.

Good for the goose...?

Completely fair for the gander :cool:

I'm not precious enough to do the feigned who me look of innocence :D

They were able to bring forward a number of planned building projects by years because of the free money....

Paying interest on the stinking pile of Labor debt at the rate of 5.89 Billion per year....umm no, it surely ain't free.....and that debt pile under Labor surely ain't getting any smaller.

Realistically I don't think the Government debt is what many of the population worry about. It's more their own ballooning private debt that is making them worried. Perhaps that's why so many have been trying to pay it down as indicated by recent stats.

.....But what I'd really like to know is WHY Labor want to put up the debt ceiling again, to 300B when this budget is in surplus :rolleyes:.

I think we need to come back to this thread in 12 mths time.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...ry_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview201213/GovDebt.

The reasons given relate to timing, namely, within-year differences between the times when outlays are paid and revenue is received, and the timing of bond maturities and their refinancing.

Last edited:
Back