I could live there!

Here you go Melbourne first home buyers. Who said anything about lack of supply. Stop complaining and live the dream.

All these areas have NICE houses under 400k.

Lilydale
The dandenong ranges
Diggers rest - If its good enough for an Olympic champ its good enuf for you!
Point cook
Healesville
Sunbury
Mooroolbark
Warrandyte North
Macedon

Personally I like the ones closest to the country side. You can make it sound like a lifestyle choice (you know its mostly about perception)

If you are worried about the community there - get your mates together and all buy there! If seen that done before.

If I had little money I would move to a nice country town near melbourne like Macedon or woodend. 1 hour train ride in.

See http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=63025851&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1267416375

Nice lifestyle - good food nearbye

If millionaires in England travel 1 hour to the office in London (from quaint country villages) then why cant you?

If multimillionaires in New jersey travel 1 hour by train to work in Manhatten why cant you?

To those already in - where would you live if you had to suiddently downsize? Surely theres an area where you have thought - 'I could live there!"

Millionaries in london i assume would not live in the equivalent of a $00k hause and commute an hour for the privellege... Onemight also assume the more than $20/hour or so pay they collect and thwhat they can do with it in their spare time my also make that commute a bit mfore whoterhile & acceptable (or myabe thye do it for fun just to waste 10 hours / week !)

One would assume that they may have indeed moved where they did for the lifstyle choice.

Saw some lovely properties, they were bigger than just houes, along the river in Perth, Basaendean or something ? where you can own the waterfront... Beautiful country styled properties, you could imagine the couple lving ther lvoing the lifetyel which is why they did it. And with that sort of budget, I could happily do it to, cant help think I'd be a bit dissapointed otherwise, perhaps one lifestyle is not for everybody (?) even if we think it a good invetment plan for them.

Many millionaires in London move to the country side because they cant afford a large house in London. Full stop! Im not talking the uber wealthy just ordinary millionaires with kids in private (public) schools.

many cool people from melbourne are moving to castlemaine. Prices are half Melbourne and the life is still quite sophisticated.

Many millionaires in London move to the country side because they cant afford a large house in London. Full stop! Im not talking the uber wealthy just ordinary millionaires with kids in private (public) schools.

many cool people from melbourne are moving to castlemaine. Prices are half Melbourne and the life is still quite sophisticated.

Ye exactly, not that they cant;t afford to buy in the city at all, they do it so athat they can buy what they would like.

Wheras a what your'e sugesting seems to provide people with the only ability to buy a house

I would consider moving to a country town, that far away from family, when I have not much lifestyle affinity with the area would be a pain thin the asss that your millionaire example does not have....

No "FULL STOPS" from me, I'm just "saying", nothing is written in stone for me. just debating/curious

Yes i included point cook with some trepidation. Bottom line is you can get a nice house for under 400k.

I have no big issues with the place personally, although it's perhaps not top of my would-I-live-there-if-I-had-to list. Just poking a big stick into the hornet's nest;).
Places I'd consider, however - in genuine answer to your question - Werribee South, Geelong West/Newtown, Sunbury, Keilor, Ballarat.
cheers:)

werribee south??? good place for people to dump stolen cars. seem to be a lot of them along the freeway or back roads just dumped with windows smashed. i even once found my old (take to the train station) car out there after it was stolen.

well this was 7 years ago, maybe it's changed ;)

Here you go Melbourne first home buyers. Who said anything about lack of supply. Stop complaining and live the dream.

Lilydale
The dandenong ranges
Diggers rest - If its good enough for an Olympic champ its good enuf for you!
Point cook
Healesville
Sunbury
Mooroolbark
Warrandyte North
Macedon

Have you looked where these places are?

Only point cook is really part of melbourne. I suppose Mooroolbark and Lilydale are as well, but its pretty tenuous.

The rest of them are rural.

Living in Woodend would actually be ok to commute to the CBD. But completely useless for trying to get anywhere else. Not sure what local facilities are like, thinking schools, hospitals, supermarkets, etc...

Have you looked where these places are?

Only point cook is really part of melbourne. I suppose Mooroolbark and Lilydale are as well, but its pretty tenuous.

Lilydale is part of Melbourne, despite people making fun of me for living way out there in the "bush" when I was there. :p It's about an hour train ride to the city, certainly do-able although I wouldn't want to now. Eastlink has made a big difference for people out that way (not everyone works in the city and this has opened up a lot more places within reasonable drive time for employment), I know it did for me when I lived out there. I'm now inner city but to answer the question if I was to move back out to the suburbs because I had to, it'd be Ringwood North/Warranwood area.

Oh and by the way, seeing as this thread is talking about first home buyers, if they have to commute 1 hour to work every day until they can afford to 'step up' then big deal. I have no sympathy for these ones who take out the $500K mortgage to buy what they want, where they want and no sacrifices for their first home (most also have the brand new cars in the driveway) and then cry about not being able to feed their kids because interest rates went up 0.5%.

Exactly.

In a whining Gen-Y voice: "but we want to live close to city. It's our right to live wherever we want, we're the future of the country. We need to live close to the city because we need to be seen there. What does saving mean and how do you do it, it's overrated anyway. Why can't the FHOB be tripled? Why shouldn't we be able to demand and expect whatever we want after our exhausting gap year(s) off travelling around the world?"

Read Aussierogue's list and pull your heads in. If it means living somewhat further out than is ideal so as to set yourselves up then so be it.

i have enjoyed looking back at my past and seeing the improvements made. by this i mean upgrading house and area. my husband and i talk about it a lot about how far we have come and how proud we are of our dedication to paying off our home and always wanting better. now with the 3 kids in the mix it is all about them and school.

we have struggled, we have lived in suburbs we didn't want to. but that is what made us determined to pay off our PPOR and upgrade.

We have owner built and sold a big home in a less than desirable suburb (but great for 1st/2nd home buyers) just to live in a small 10sq house on big land in altona.

we now have extended, renovated over the past 7yrs and have 3 children. we are now ready to upgrade again. yes we are proud, we have worked hard for this.

nothing is instant, unless you come into money or want the bank to own your soul. i believe we did it the right way.

In a whining Gen-Y voice: "but we want to live close to city. It's our right to live wherever we want, we're the future of the country. We need to live close to the city because we need to be seen there. What does saving mean and how do you do it, it's overrated anyway. Why can't the FHOB be tripled? Why shouldn't we be able to demand and expect whatever we want after our exhausting gap year(s) off travelling around the world?"

I don't see why you're making this a generational issue when age really has nothing to do with it - there are whiners in every generation, and it shows a real lack of character to act all superior because of some arbitrary labels that were probably invented by a marketing company.

Lilydale is part of Melbourne, despite people making fun of me for living way out there in the "bush" when I was there. :p It's about an hour train ride to the city, certainly do-able although I wouldn't want to now. Eastlink has made a big difference for people out that way (not everyone works in the city and this has opened up a lot more places within reasonable drive time for employment), I know it did for me when I lived out there. I'm now inner city but to answer the question if I was to move back out to the suburbs because I had to, it'd be Ringwood North/Warranwood area.

I still choose to live out that way. It's a beautiful part of the world, I love it.

As far as commuting goes; my office is in Fitzroy and with Eastlink, I can be there within half an hour.

I don't see why you're making this a generational issue when age really has nothing to do with it - there are whiners in every generation, and it shows a real lack of character to act all superior because of some arbitrary labels that were probably invented by a marketing company.

Umm, age has everything to do with it - the majority of first home buyers who whinge about not affording a house when in fact they can (just not in areas where they want to live) are guess what generation? Gen-Y.

And it wasn't marketing companies who invented the terms Baby Boomers, Gen-X, Gen-Y, etc. Do yourself a favour and pop down to the library and borrow a book or two by Bernard Salt and other demographers.

Let me take a wild guess - you're Gen-Y aren't you ?

"The term Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 Ad Age editorial to describe teenagers of the day"

"Advertising Age (or AdAge) is a magazine, delivering news, analysis and data on marketing and media."

That was about 15 seconds worth of Googling.

Another 2 minutes of searching:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/housing-affordability-hits-the-wall-20100222-opcd.html

First-home buyer affordability dropped by 22.3 per cent in Sydney, 18.4 per cent in Melbourne, 21.5 per cent in Queensland, and 19.1 per cent in Adelaide.

In Hobart, affordability dropped more than any other capital city, collapsing 28.7 per cent.

In Perth, it fell 16.3 per cent, while in Canberra affordability fell 22.2 per cent.

Capital city home prices rose by an average of 13.6 per cent for the year to December, official data show, pushed up by a shortage of available housing, rising population growth, a strong economy, government grants, as well as by low interest rates and the relaxation of foreign investment rules.

And another quote from the article just for you:

Hornsby, NSW-based Eve Roberts is 29 and bristles at the suggestion that people in her age set have brought the affordability issue on themselves.

''Despite being on reasonable salaries my partner and I can't afford to buy an apartment, or to have children for that matter,'' she said.

''The baby boomers who relish house prices going up are unfortunately to blame - why? Because for many, owning their house is the only thing they've managed to accomplish in their lives and want to see its value go up astronomically.''

''Generation Y having an entitlement issue? Give me a break.''

Ms Roberts said Baby Boomers are short-sighted for not seeing the generational burden that has been allowed to take hold.

''Unfortunately their foresight is so poor that they don't realise that in 10-20 years time, as they struggle to move from room to room and go to the toilet unaided, their children and grandchildren will be too busy working off their mortgages to come and visit them at the nursing home.''

"pushed up by a shortage of available housing" is precisely the point that aussierogue began the thread with. There is available housing but Gen-Y aren't prepared to move out to the outer suburbs and set themselves up.

Eve Roberts and her cohorts don't get it: she wants a house but find her one that's not within 5km of the city and it suddenly isn't a house after all.

And don't get me started about Baby Boomers, after all they're Gen-Y's parents...

Last edited:
"The term Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 Ad Age editorial to describe teenagers of the day"

"Advertising Age (or AdAge) is a magazine, delivering news, analysis and data on marketing and media."

That was about 15 seconds worth of Googling.

So it was first coined by a magazine. Not a marketing company. Your point?

Sure there is available housing out in the middle of nowhere, but if you want those little trivialities like a job, good schools and anything that even closely resembles a reasonable (< 1 hour each way) daily commute, you are SOL.

You're statement that there is affordable housing available for everyone who does not want to live within 5km of the city is ludicrous.

What planet are you on?

The point I am making is perfectly simple - all other things being equal, housing is significantly less affordable than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The complaints you are hearing from first home buyers are perfectly reasonable and legitimate, despite your characterization of them as 'whiners'.

As for the point about the origins of the term 'Gen Y' - it stands. Whether it was a marketing company or a marketing magazine catering explicitly to marketing companies is just semantics, which you are fully aware of.

If you are too small and petty to admit you were wrong, that's you're call and frankly, given your other attitudes, is hardly suprising.

Back