I invest because....

We live a very simple life. I continue to invest because I have a lot of equity and feel guilty wasting it by not-to-invest, not because I need more money. It does not sound like a very good reason does it ?:confused:

Last edited:
It's a perfectly good reason if it makes you happy :)

Some people might invest to get ahead, others might want to feel they're not squandering opportunity - if it makes you happy, that's all the reason you need!

We live a very simple life. I continue to invest because I have a lot of equity and feel guilty wasting it by not-to-invest, not because I need more money. It does not sound like a very good reason is it ?:confused:

Hi Salsa

I am with you. How can you stop ones you start, as you say, the equity just builds all by itself.;)

What prompted this post?? Seems like there is more to this then what's been posted so far.

Cheers

I invest because......I want to get to the point where I wonder whether I need to invest anymore :)...would love to have to worry bout what I would do with all the surplus money/equity. Maybe if you need a good reason, you could find a charity of your choice and send it all there....

We live a very simple life. I continue to invest because I have a lot of equity and feel guilty wasting it by not-to-invest, not because I need more money. It does not sound like a very good reason does it ?:confused:
There's a point of view that would have you a better citizen by investing that equity.

Imagine all that equity just sitting there doing nothing for anyone except yourself.

When you invest you provide jobs and housing for a start, probably other things as well.

I invest to provide for our present, and (independent) future and lifestyle...and it's fun and I like the challenges of it...and I like the look and touch and feel of property and I love to build stuff and it's different from some other things I have been doing in my life and I like to think I am okay at investing and it's interesting and I am learning so much and it's fun and we do provide good homes and conditions and service and the people are so interesting....and because I can!

And yet there is more, but I must have some tea...umm apologies for the grammar, I get a little excited at times.:)

simply,

i invest because i can...

and its legal, ethical, fair, educational, trying, makes sense (sometimes), sets us up for the future yadda yadda yadda

tax benefits.

property is a hard asset, nothing abstract about it whatsoever...therefore unlike shares or cash, it's value cannot be as easily manipulated by govts, boards of directors, large market players... it's value is not perpetually eroded by inflation, as happens with cash.

there's a finite supply, unlike cash or shares.

principals of investment and supply/demand are transparent and easily understood.

we probably have a property gene, considering we all were once dependent on land for sustenance - growing crops, raising livestock.

we probably also have a gene that knows what it is like to be homeless.

I invest because ...

It's great fun, and because I can therefore I do.

Ummm - bought a penny dreadful late 2006, settled December 15th. Paid $145,000, intended to renovate.

Got too busy, done nothing, financed it anyway, valuation came back last week at $180,000.

Not a bad paper increase for doin' nuttin' for six months. Ah, well, after it's freshened up and rented I'll review again in about twelve months.

'Course, I watched probably fifty people walk past and look at it - very few looked in it - but to the best of my knowledge there was only one other seriously interested party (G'Day, yes how are you?) They bought somewhere else and I bought this. They and I invest because ......

However, to get the best out of investing you do have to occasionally make a decision. The only property of any benefit to you is the one with your name on it.

Penny dreadful though this may be, it's mine and I bought it because .....

Cheers

Kristine

Hi Salsa

I am with you. How can you stop ones you start, as you say, the equity just builds all by itself.;)

What prompted this post?? Seems like there is more to this then what's been posted so far.

Cheers
Sharp eyes Andy !
I have just made a purchase, doubled the debt amt, and am about to take on even more debt - a bit of "buyer remorse" i guess, wondering WHY I was/am willing to take the risk :)

I invest because......I want to get to the point where I wonder whether I need to invest anymore :)...would love to have to worry bout what I would do with all the surplus money/equity. Maybe if you need a good reason, you could find a charity of your choice and send it all there....
Nards, I am not really a bad person but honestly I am afraid I am not kind enough to take risks for charity reason :)

Goodness, never meant to imply you were anything other than good!! Just thought if you loved to invest, as everyone here does, many for no other reason than "because I can" (a good enough reason in my book!), but had a surplus you didnt know what to do with, then you may forward it elsewhere...:)

Good luck with the purchase, Nadia

I invest to:
  • provide a passive income for my future.
  • eventually have the choice about when, where and if I want to work at a job.
  • have an outlet for my creativity...renos.
  • learn about finance and property.
  • keep mentall and physically fit.
I am happy my investing provides things for others:
  • homes.
  • jobs.
  • learning opportunities.
  • income.
  • encouragement that they can do it too.
I think investing is like a well paid hobby where everyone benefits.:)

Last edited:
I have just made a purchase, doubled the debt amt, and am about to take on even more debt - a bit of "buyer remorse" i guess, wondering WHY I was/am willing to take the risk :)

You may find it strange that you will reach a point where the lenders feel it is a risk more than you :) You'll know when you reach that limit when you find it hard to get loans on anything....

Cheers,

The Y-man

- I enjoy it.. I didn't at first but see it as a challenge now
- I don't really like working all that much
- I like expensive things.. Cars, Travel etc

And to quote from one of Jan's books (not her quote)

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy"

That pretty much sums me up!

-
"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy"

Along a similar vein, someone once said that working 40 hours a week for the man deprives one of the opportunity to understand the way the world works. And thereby keeps one impotent on many levels. One doesn't have the time or energy to read or research how govts, banks, the establishment, unions, etc etc exploit things for their own ends. One doesn't have the opportunity to socialize with others and organize themselves into groups to change the status quo.

I don't like doing the same thing 40 hours a week. I don't think mankind evolved to do that. It isn't good for the body, joints, mind, emotions, spirit.
We need more variety in life.

That's what I aim for....

I also think as one ages, they should have accumulated capital to assist younger generations forwards in life. If the elders control more capital, then their superior wisdom hopefully directs that capital into wiser more noble projects then someone younger with less big picture vision.

someone once said that working 40 hours a week for the man deprives one of the opportunity to understand the way the world works. And thereby keeps one impotent on many levels.

This is great, and the main reason for me personally investing. Mrs Dazzling is already living the free life, and she has a whale of a time, knowing that the both the income and the capital growth infrastructure has been already set up to underpin the economics which allow the higher pursuits in life to....well....be pursued.

I'm still in the rat race and question myself every morning going to work whether today is the day I pull the pin. My boss is great and hardly, if ever, pulls rank, and this is a major reason why I stay.

The key to everything however for us is the cashflow. Having the capital bubbling away and growing is all well and good, be we aren't clever enough to convert it into bread and meat on the table. With the intention of investing still, until the sum is significant enough such that both my salary and the ordinary run-of-the-mill daily expenses become irrelevant in the scheme of things, I must bow to "the man".

In my previous job however, I had the sweet taste of being a full time property investor. Being a fly in fly out position with a 5 weeks on 5 weeks off rotation, on my time off I was able to negotiate sales, clean up grovelly warehouses, speak with neighbours and cut deals, negotiate leasing contracts and generally do all of the things that needed to be done to get a basket case property up and running to the point of it being set and forget.

It was exhilirating, setting your own agenda, being aware of all of the facts / budgets, being fully responsible for everything, surviving by my actions, deeds and words. The time of the day became irrelevant. If it was 4am and something needed doing, well I got up and did it. If I had scheduled a truck around at 10 o'clock at night to pick up 35 tonnes of cr*p that I'd cleaned up, it was not a chore to hang around and capture the opportunity. Seeign the truck drive out the driveway and take it all away to reveal a clear and clean warehouse was enough reward, especially if you had a meeting with a prospective tenant the next morning at 8am.

Looking back and studying the numbers, despite being on a pretty decent wicket at work, the investing activity time produced 11 times as much as my salary.....but without that all important salary, the Bank wouldn't have supported me to undertake that activity in the first place.

Clocking on and clocking off at work is monotonous, draining and soul destroying. Walking the tempo of someone else's agenda, being excluded from high level finance meetings, not being privy to any of the controlling contracts....the list goes on and on.

Anyway, that's why I invest - to get back to that sweet spot of being a full time investor - being the pilot in my life's plane. To tell you truth though, I do not have a plan to get into that seat without selling down some properties.

I really need to chat with someone about LOE. Maybe that's what you need too Salsa ??

Back