I lost my wallet

Well I went hunting out near mapoon at flinders swamp well actually more for a drive and I lost my wallet somewhere along the way don't ask me how and just yesterday some nice bloke found it and brought it back to me at my workshop.

It had all my cards still in it nothing was missing I think it only had ten dollars in it, I had lost it for 4 weeks and were he found it isn't a high traffic area ie 1 in a million chance to find my wallet this spot is 90kms from civilisation and 30kms of the main drag.

So I was telling my girlfriend this story and how I have never lost my wallet it always seems to come back to me somehow but she doesn't believe me :)

I think it has to do with the fact I have found 2 or three peoples wallets in different places and given them back to them even with the money in them some people have thanked me others have accused me of stealing the money out of there wallets wich I thought was damn rude but I put me getting my wallet back down to karma.

So this begs the question how honest are people on this forum if you found someones wallet would you take the money out of it but still give the wallet back or would you do neither?

I would probably call up the guy or if there are no contact details I would take it straight to the police.
A friend of mine dropped his wallet when he was out for a walk
and when he called up the police someone had droped it into the local police station.
Funny thing is, the young police officer wanted to see a picture ID
to give it back to him but he soon realised that all the ID's were in the wallet...:)
Cheers

Have lost my wallet a few times over quite a few years, twice with substantial amounts of money within. Thankfully, the two times I got my wallet back with everything still there.

On the flipside, over the years I have found a few wallets/purses and returned them to their thankful owners. The one that sticks out most in my mind was the time I found a clutch purse sitting in a trolley at the airport. Upon inspection, to find ID, there was over 4K in AUD and other denominations in a couple of other currencies as well as some documents.

It was obvious that the owner was from overseas but there was an Australian phone number in there which I rang. The person I spoke to was familiar with the owner and gave me a contact number where they could be found.

I asked the owner how did he want to collect his clutch purse back to which he replied would it be ok if he came to my place to pick up, which of course was ok with me.

He ended up coming and picking up his belongings, turned out he was ex-opening batsman (cricket) from Sri-Lanka. His family thanked me endlessly and they departed.

We kept in touch for a while via email but that soon fizzled out.

Not long after I got a phone call from the local paper who wanted to run a story on the event (one of those fuzzy warm stories) after being contacted from one of the chaps family members.

Regards
Marty

No way would I help myself to anything I found without taking all reasonable steps to find the owner.

Found a mobile phone on the road, searched the memory and rang the home number and the guy picked it up. Made a bit of a deal about it and wanted to give a reward. I just shrugged and suggested that he would do the same thing. Maybe he wouldn't, maybe he will next time.

My daughter once picked up a $50 note in the supermarket- and handed it straight in.

We thought that, of course, the cashier would pocket it- but two weeks later, she got a call to say that it had not been claimed, so she got to keep it.

We have had wallets handed in at the shop from time to time. I'm always worried that someone may have removed cash before handing it in, landing us in trouble when we located the owner.

Once a wallet had several thousand in it. It belonged to a friend of one of my employees- who was on his way to buy a car (a beatup one by the sound). Naturally, he was extremely grateful to get it back.

I think it has to do with the fact I have found 2 or three peoples wallets in different places and given them back to them even with the money in them some people have thanked me others have accused me of stealing the money out of there wallets wich I thought was damn rude but I put me getting my wallet back down to karma.

So this begs the question how honest are people on this forum if you found someones wallet would you take the money out of it but still give the wallet back or would you do neither?

That happened to me and some friends once. Found a wallet that belonged to someone, so we called them and returned it. There was 50 bucks in there - after we returned it, we found out there was about 80 bucks missing - which the woman accused us of taking. I told her 'Do you think we would have contacted you and given your wallet back if we just wanted the money?' Turns out it was someone she knew who had taken the cash and dumped the wallet.

Mark

I have found people's wallets on two occasions both in the same month and both times handed them in to the local police station and left my name/number. Cool I thought, now Karma will be nice to me... On neither occasion did I even get a thank you and one wallet had over $400 in it which was a lot of money to me in those days.

Within the same week as I found the first wallet I had my own wallet stolen from the deposit desk in the local bank in the 5 minutes it took me to realise I had left it on the counter and left the que to get it - one week's wages gone.

About 3 months later some friends and I went on a skiing trip and on the way stopped for dinner at a local Maccas in North Sydney and stupid me left my wallet on the dining tray with all my holiday funds in it. Of course I wasn't paying attention and accidentally threw the wallet in the bin with the trash and didn't realise until we stopped in Goulbourn. We phoned the Maccas and asked them to not throw the trash out as there was a wallet in one of the bins and we were coming back to get it. The manager said he would get one of the crew to go through all the bins as well as the skip to find the wallet but of course when we got back to the Maccas the crew member claimed there was no wallet in any of the bins. Yeah right - it just disappeared into a black hole I suppose and he wasn't over $1000 richer... Needless to say I couldn't go on the skiing trip and my friend had to drive all the way back to Dee Why and drop me off home.

Needless to say, I do not believe in Karma and never ever carry more than about $20 in cash anywhere. I would still hand in any wallet/cash I find though, because I know what it feels like to lose it and know someone else has it.

Unless the wallet or purse happened to have $1m in used and non-sequential bills in it :p, there would be nothing in there I'd want. Why feel like a lousy jerk for the sake of fifty or a few hundred bucks?

And if it did have that much in it and I kept it, I'd probably always be looking over my shoulder wondering what sort of person was hunting me down trying to get it back. :eek:

Cheers,
GP

One of my sons was in the habit of tucking his wallet under the drivers seat of his car and twice he had his car broken into and the wallet taken!! I was astounded that he didn't learn after the first time.

The same son went to a rave and had his wallet in a backpack actually on his back and guess what? Wallet lost / stolen when it was time to go home.
He has had such a ribbing over his slackness with his wallets over the years.

Some years ago (probably about 10) I went with a couple of climbing friends to the Blue Mountains, but it was a bit too wet to climb so we went for a walk through the Grand Canyon instead. Left my car parked in the Evans Lookout car park.

A couple of hours later we were back at the car and everything looked untouched. My two friends had left their wallets tucked amongst their climbing stuff in their bags, whereas I had mine with me in a day pack. They did a quick check, wallets still there... no problem.

Later that afternoon we went to The Edge cinema, and when they opened their wallets to buy the tickets, there was no cash in them. Someone had broken into the car in the lookout car park and taken all the cash from the wallets but otherwise left everything undisturbed. Apparently there was quite a spate of car park robberies in the Blue Mountains around that time.

After they noticed the missing cash, I went back to the car and had a closer look through it. Nothing else was missing or had noticeably been touched. Even the few dollars worth of coins in the ash tray were still there.

Cheers,
GP

remember when I was about 8yo walking home from school (does anyone walk to school anymore), found a purse on the footpath with $20 in it. Took it school the next day (no contact details) and gave it to the office. They contact the police and the local grocery store. Belonged to an old pensioner and that was a lot of money in those days. She came to the school and left $2 for me out of gratitude.

I would never not do the same.

The only thing more important than what others think of us, is what we think of ourselves.

remember when I was about 8yo walking home from school (does anyone walk to school anymore), found a purse on the footpath with $20 in it. Took it school the next day (no contact details) and gave it to the office. They contact the police and the local grocery store. Belonged to an old pensioner and that was a lot of money in those days. She came to the school and left $2 for me out of gratitude.

I would never not do the same.

The only thing more important than what others think of us, is what we think of ourselves.

My kids walk to school, the dog and I do as well. It is a great time to have a chat with them.

I found $10 when I was 8 back in the early 70's. Handed it in and then got to keep it a while later when it wasn't claimed. Bought a flash fishing rod with it and learnt a valuable lesson about doing what is right.

Recently a stray dog follwed my daughters home (yeah right ...). They went to a lot of trouble to find the owner. They were surprised to be given $20 each but what made me proud was that they tried to refuse it - doubt I would have at that age!

I reckon that when you do good things it always comes back manyfold - maybe not directly but it does.

I'm with the rest of you - a wallet/purse has SO MUCH important stuff in it that it always should be returned to the rightful owner if possible. And the drama that goes with shutting down credit cards, waiting on replacements, etc. is such a pain.

I would ALWAYS return to the rightful owner, just to save them this hassle. What they do from there is up to them - reward, or not, is never the issue. I just continue to feel good about myself whatever happens. My karma has been that I have not lost my wallet since 1966 (when I left mine on the docks at Dover, on a trip to France - I got it back on my return).

I recall (decades ago) finding $50 that was unattached - blowing around on the street. We (me, wife and two sons) took it to the nearest Police station. Sometime later (3 months?), we were requested to come and pick it up as no-one had reported/claimed it. We did, gratefully at the time... Good things happen.

Regards,

Yeah I have handed in wallets, even told someone last night that the mobile had fallen out of their pocket at the pub and they were getting up to walk off....

But on the other hand I have also found a yellow note down Rundle Mall, SA and slipped it clean into my pocket.... no hope in hell of finding the owner :D

If I lost my wallet I wouldn't care if someone cleaned out every cent that was in there as long as I got the contents back I would be happy.

But on the other hand I have also found a yellow note down Rundle Mall, SA and slipped it clean into my pocket.... no hope in hell of finding the owner :D

I'm starting to feel a little guilty after reading this thread. I remember as a kid finding $50 in the city it was just blowning around on the footpath I picked it up looked around and there was no one in site. I thought all my Christmas's had come at once. Couldn't say I thought about handing it in at the police station :(

Still over the past few years I've managed to re-unite a few mobile phones back with their owners.

not quite in the "wallet" league - but the other day i was walking through an ordinary section of town when i saw a young lady dash away from the atm and into the bank. the atm started beeping and ejected several hundred dollars. obviously it belonged to the lass.

i pulled out the money, followed her into the bank and handed it to her.

only afterwards i thought about the bus stop two doors away with the bunch of dodgy characters waiting, and the number of people that walk up and down that street - she was kinda lucky it was me passing, as someone else could've easily just pocketed the money and kept going.

A few months ago I withdrew $200 from an ATM in the city, but managed to leave without the cash. Went back within 10 minutes and asked at the bank info counter whether the money had been handed in. Turns out it hadn't so the bank credited me $200 back into my acocunt. I was very grateful and amazed they would do this.

G'day Twitch,

Part of my job (about 10 years ago) involved working on ATM's. Part of the reason they feel happy about refunding your money is that, if you haven't TAKEN the money within a period of time (can't remember now, but maybe 30 - 40 seconds) it is PULLED BACK into the machine.

It doesn't just sit there indefinitely.... So the Banks are (usually) not out of pocket - and neither are you.

Regards,

if you haven't TAKEN the money within a period of time (can't remember now, but maybe 30 - 40 seconds) it is PULLED BACK into the machine.

It doesn't just sit there indefinitely.... So the Banks are (usually) not out of pocket - and neither are you.

Regards,

Of course you realize Les, the next time I use an ATM, I shall let the lettuce sit there for 60 seconds and see if that's true.......but not before I remove one note..... :p

Back