I nearly fell off my chair

Would just like to share my current tenant story, its actually a bit of a laugh (what else can you do).:confused:

Our tenants were caught with 5 dogs at my house two weeks ago, they are only approved for 2 very small dogs, and apparently those dogs have been there for the last 2 months as the neighbours have been complaining of the noise.

Its a very nice renovated house on a small 600sq block. The agent did their job, they issued a breach notice and arranged an immediate inspection. There are now just 2 dogs.

Anyways, the tenants have just found the audacity to ask us to pay for a flea treatment as the house now has fleas. Needless to say, I told the agent to share my kind hearted feelings to go jump off a bridge and ensure its done at the tenants expense.

What goes through some peoples minds??? They illegally had 5 dogs there, which caused fleas, which caused a breach notice, then they ask for a flea treatment their dogs caused :confused:

Bye bye tenants

Just wait for when you issue an eviction notice, and they go to the tribunal accusing you of acting inappropriately

Anyways, the tenants have just found the audacity to ask us to pay for a flea treatment as the house now has fleas.

All's well, don't panic.

Pay for the flea treatment, say you are sorry, and give them a few movie tickets and a nice box of chockies - all will be well after that.

they'll pay their rent in advance by 4 months and keep the place ommaculat.

Give you a tip[ - make sure you wear your top hat when collecting the rent - reminds them who is boss....and at the end of the day - that's what's impotent.

We had a similar experience a few months ago. Tenant moved in, and a month later her dog arrived(which was also approved). A couple of months later tenant complains her dog has fleas, has spent $70 for flea treament and can't get rid of them. She is also having mold issues and wants to be released from her fixed term contract.We inform her the apt did not have fleas or mold issues before her arrival (it is our personal unit, when we live in canada) and she is responsible.
In the meantime, we organise to have this and all the other units(our kids live in) flea treated.
The mold was because she did not close the windows (lots of rain in Autumn), didn't have the heat turned on, and was drying clothes in her unit, instead of using the dryer.
She moved out anyways..paid the rent until a new was found.
We cleaned the mold,turned on the heat, brought in a dehumidifyier for a few days, got rid of the fleas,got a new tenant and kept her security deposit. (1/2 month rent)
Tenants..do we even have to wipe their nose??

New tenant hasn't said a peep...and they also have a dog.

[QUOTE
Tenants..do we even have to wipe their nose??
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it appears quite clear that yes this is what we are dealing with.

First thought that came to my mind was, the tenat in the OP's post, couldn't afford a tratment and could not think of any other way to get it done. "What else am I meant to do ?"

Just wait for when you issue an eviction notice, and they go to the tribunal accusing you of acting inappropriately

Ill just wait till their tenancy is up in 3.5 months and then evict them, giving the appropriate notice ofcoarse. Unless something else happens, its too messy.

Dazz - Excellent advice, good plan

Jaycee - My thoughts exactly. That and the fact they are annoyed that they have been given a breach notice so will try anything on.

Brett IP- if you do fall off your chair it may be because your landlord has rented you a property with uneven floors - and you can them for that!

Will be doing that Wylie, and the cost to repair/repaint the front gutters of the house above the garage.

They moved in themselves and smashed the rental removal truck in to the gutters. Did they think I wouldnt notice?? Its right there in plain view on the street

Back