"I Need A Few Things For My Birthday" - The Rinehart Saga

It is not uncommon for many families in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore to have one or two Filipino / Indonesian maids who function as cooks/cleaners and drivers. In Australia, it is difficult to have house staff due to our industrial relations and labour laws that makes it frustrating to employ anyone. I have often wondered how much net worth one needs to have in Australia to employ one person as a cook/driver/cleaner full time.

Up here in my neck of the woods you can get a live in maid/cook for 800 dirhams a month (like 220aud) but you have to provide them accommodation, meals, medical and a sponsor visa, so they have no overheads as such. Pretty sweet deal. Also as I heard from my 50yo expat friend, ‘if ya throw them a little more cash each month they’ll do more than just cook and clean for ya mate’ nudge nudge wink wink… and then I threw up inside my mouth

I couldn't think of anything worse than having a full time chef. Got back from overseas last weekend, eating out at restaurants for two weeks straight had me crawling up the walls. I guess I quite like cooking.

I wonder if the bodyguard requests are for security, or image.

When your mother is the richest woman in the entire world i dont think asking for bodyguards when you live in the gun capital of the world is a bad idea.

It is not uncommon for many families in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore to have one or two Filipino / Indonesian maids who function as cooks/cleaners and drivers. In Australia, it is difficult to have house staff due to our industrial relations and labour laws that makes it frustrating to employ anyone. I have often wondered how much net worth one needs to have in Australia to employ one person as a cook/driver/cleaner full time.

In Oz it would be more dependent on income / cashflow than net worth if you're employing someone on salary. In HK the minimum monthly wage for a FDH (foreign domestic helper) is HK$3,920 (~ AU$500) and they're legally meant to live-in but many live in boarding rooms which charge rent of HK$1,000 - 1,200 pcm so they get an allowance for this. I've seen 2BR apartments with 12-14 girls living there in bunks.

Most of them are Filipino or Indo and work hard; 10 - 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and required to clean the apartment, wash the car, take dogs for a walk, prepare meals and look after the kids. Head out on a Sunday and you will see them everywhere, especially around Central. I've met some who've been here more than 15yrs but most are proud of what they do... the Philippines has more of their citizens working outside of their country than any other nation at > 11%.

sunday-in-hong-kong-2.png

When your mother is the richest woman in the entire world i dont think asking for bodyguards when you live in the gun capital of the world is a bad idea.

She's now the 5th richest woman but what's a few billion.

In Oz it would be more dependent on income / cashflow than net worth if you're employing someone on salary. .

So my question is how much does it cost in Oz to have a full time live in person who would function as a chef/maid/driver all in one and therefore, what sort of income would you need for employing such a person?

So my question is how much does it cost in Oz to have a full time live in person who would function as a chef/maid/driver all in one and therefore, what sort of income would you need for employing such a person?
A full-time live in live in as above?

I reckon start at $100k to get any bites?

You may get someone for less, but I'd imagine it'd be a very long hours type job, and after a short time the person would wake up to just how many hours would be involved, and what sort of sacrifice to own personal life would be needed, so less pay would probably see a higher turnover of staff.

A full-time live in live in as above?

I reckon start at $100k to get any bites?

You may get someone for less, but I'd imagine it'd be a very long hours type job, and after a short time the person would wake up to just how many hours would be involved, and what sort of sacrifice to own personal life would be needed, so less pay would probably see a higher turnover of staff.

So at 100k, I am surprised that more Australian households do not have a live in staff member. As part of the 100k, the live in helper also gets free board and food. Not such a bad deal? So arguably, if your household earns 200k net per year, this household could afford live-in house help.

When you talk to Hong Kong people or Malaysians or South Africans that have a live in maid, they all say that having live in home help really improves their quality of life and would not do without them. So I am not overly surprised that the Rinehart children would want some form of household assistance.

You wouldn't get people who are willing to work for 10-12 hours per day, 6 days a week. You would need two people for that sort of coverage.

You can get au pairs for looking after children- it appears pay rates are substantially less than award wages, as long a you provide accommodation. That would be for basic child care duties- eg www.smartaupairs.com.au

Last edited:
So at 100k, I am surprised that more Australian households do not have a live in staff member. As part of the 100k, the live in helper also gets free board and food. Not such a bad deal? So arguably, if your household earns 200k net per year, this household could afford live-in house help.
Given that the average wage is supposedly approx $60k per year now, I think a nett of $200k would be the very small minority of folk.

And, let us not forget that this is the average...easily skewed upwards by a handfull of extremely high income earners, so my guess is that the average worker would not be up to $60k.

And, a household of $200k nett would normally have absorbed a fair chunk of that in lifestyle choices/spending already, so a hausfrau at $100k aint gunna happen for Mr. and Mrs Hawthorn/Glen Iris.

An au pair for 20 hours per week, doing a bit of housework and living in, would be eminently affordable for many at $150pw.

Although other problems would have been caused with an au pair in my house. Another young lady would not have been tolerated very well in our house. An exchange student was bad enough.

its all relative,

im a bit old school and am disgusted by young late 20s/early 30s FHOB (which is the age group im in) who say they must have a 3-4bdr, backyard, and theatre room, and within 20kms of the city, just because their parents who bought thier 2br crappy shacks in good suburbs in the 50s-80s which are now worth $1m+, who complaing that they cant afford $600k+ on their existing salaries

yet a few years ago, I went to a business function, where I unknowingly was chatting with the international CEOs daughter, who looked at me bizzarely when I told her I caught a train to work, in her circle of friends, public transport is for the common loser, and the lowest form of transport was chauferred limo/cruiser, and most had their own private jets

In australia, a full time cleaner/cook/chores person might cost you $50k as an example, which is something like $70k before tax, so to make it worthwhile to go to work, you have to be earning something like $120k+

which is well above the average

im sure when you go to bali, or thailand, locals would be disgusted in paying $5 for a beer, which at a local bar down the road, would cost $1

its all relative

Given that the average wage is supposedly approx $60k per year now, I think a nett of $200k would be the very small minority of folk.

And, let us not forget that this is the average...easily skewed upwards by a handfull of extremely high income earners, so my guess is that the average worker would not be up to $60k.

And, a household of $200k nett would normally have absorbed a fair chunk of that in lifestyle choices/spending already, so a hausfrau at $100k aint gunna happen for Mr. and Mrs Hawthorn/Glen Iris.

So maybe two households could share a full time maid - this is quite common in Hong Kong / malaysia - surely this must be quite affordable for many streets on sydney's north shore and eastern suburbs - wherein house hold incomes are often 300k+ - two profesionals - no kids - and yet I don't often see the presence of a housemaid/chef

So I am not overly surprised that the Rinehart children would want some form of household assistance.

Where couples here both work, many have household and/or yard assistance. I'm one of those (cleaner only) and so are many of my friends.

The only time you would need more than 'some' assistance is if your house was 2 or 3 times larger than normal or if you worked and had more than a half a dozen children - even then you'd only need someone to come in a couple of days a week.

Unless GR children work long hours and live in a big mansion and have a few children they would not need a live in maid.

They would be no different to anyone else, in that they need to hire 'some' help.

Back