I'm an author

One of my life dreams has come true over the last month. Just wanted to share my news with the lovely people of Somersoft.

I am now a published author, after the release of my first book. It is a picture book for children. It was such a thrill for me the first time I walked into a shop and saw my book on the shelves.

To give some perspective - common figures in fiction publishing put getting a first novel published by a legitimate publisher as around 1 in 1000 manuscripts submitted (for an unknown like me, figures are totally different if you are a sports star or celebrity). To get a debut picture book published is considered twice as hard as getting a novel published. So I feel very fortunate that the first children's story I ever wrote was pulled from the slush pile.

My second book is due out next year.

Now, if only I could make some money out of doing what I love..........:)

Lily

that is such great news for you and well done.
As i would like to purchase this book i will need you to tell me the name. and if you could heighlight it in big block letters, as my eyesight lets me down a bit :}
Well done.

Thanks.

I have not given more details as I didn't post in order to sell more books - but rather, to share my good news.

If anyone is seriously interested in knowing more, feel free PM/email me.

:)
Lily

Congratulations! I have day dreamed about doing similar and still think that some day I may just get there. At the moment my time is taken with my two littlies and property investing :rolleyes:

Speaking of my littlies, I have a 4 yr girl and a 2.5 yr boy who LOVE books and I'd love an excuse to buy one for them. Then we can put up a review for you LOL. So I need more information please...

Lily I reckon that given you were circumspect and didn't make a first post with the title of the book and where people can buy it, the mods won't have a problem with you now posting those details in response to people's entreaties.

So come on, spill the beans. What's the title? Where can we buy it?

What a great achievement!

Scott

Lily I reckon that given you were circumspect and didn't make a first post with the title of the book and where people can buy it, the mods won't have a problem with you now posting those details in response to people's entreaties.

So come on, spill the beans. What's the title? Where can we buy it?

What a great achievement!

Scott

Or add a link in your signature to the site:)

Congratulations, Lily!

Out of interest, would you mind sharing a bit more about your journey. For example, have you been writing for long? Do you belong to a writers' group? Do you have formal qualifications in English or early childhood or similar?

What experts do you have on your team (ie literary agent, etc), and how significant do you think that they were in getting you to this point?

Whatever you'd care to share would be interesting to hear. :)

Lily

You've been a good contributor. We mods really only have trouble with people who self promote a lot and contribute little.

I would be very interested to see your book.

Some people include links to commercial interests in their sig. You could do that if you wanted.

Good on ya, Lily.

I've been trying to get published for a couple of years now (golf), and I know that the competition in the children's books area is particularly tough from the endless trawling of publishers' sites.

Well done, and let us know where and when we can get it.

Thank you, and for the lovely PM messages.

Okay, here goes my anonymity -

This is the book:
http://www.bdb.com.au/books/magic_mummy
It is available at all good bookstores (if not on the shelves, can be ordered in). Has also been spotted in Kmart.

And here is a review:
http://www.aussiereviews.com/article2809.html

Ozperp. For years I had an idea for a novel that I wanted to write, but was always too busy to pursue it seriously. When my first daughter was born, back in 2000, I decided that being a stay-at-home mum was my opportunity. ('cause all babies do is sleep - lol). Anyway, I joined a supportive writing group that year, did a couple of writing classes at my local Tafe, and wrote in small snatches whenever I could. That novel took me quite a few years to complete, and hasn't found a home (yet, I live in hope). Having kids inspired me to change writing direction, and in 2006 I sent my first children's story, Magic Mummy, out to a few publishers. I got the 'magic' phonecall in Sept 2006, and finally the book is on the bookshelves April 2009 (typically takes 2 years for the publisher to find the right illustrator, artwork produced, book designed, edited, and printed etc). I've since written a few more - I have another coming out next year, one under option, and another under serious consideration with a publisher currently (fingers crossed).
I love writing fiction. It just feels wrong when I don't write.
I really hope to make it my career.

Here's a bit more about my writing life if you are interested.
http://www.lrw.fathen.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=28
(I hope these links work, I'm not really sure how to do them)

Thank you everyone for your support.

:)
Lily/Caroline

Caroline/Lilly

Fantastic, well done. I have read your well thought out posts in the past and feel like I know you. So great to have one of " ours" break through into a very competitive field.

Anyone I know who has a baby from now on will be receiving the book :D

Congratulations

Chris

Back