I'm horrified...

Actually...it did a lot of good because the CBA has decided to settle out of court for a lot of these people.

don't agree Sash. Look at the payout by CBA compared to the funds lost.
And the other banks didn't follow suit, so obviously the Act means squat to their legal advice.

There appears to be a discrepancy somewhere??

the emotion is getting out of hand here ... but to plough in again ... even at bob's orginal figures, plus to stipend that was mentioned, if the person lives longer than 10years they may have made a loss (which is very possible in this day and age). if they live 8-10 years they have made no cashflow profit, but may have a cg profit - assuming the town goes up in value. if they live less than 8 years, in highly improved conditions, then the greatly improved quality of life before they pass on is something the older person will be entirely grateful for.

assuming the town goes up in value by, say 6% a year (which is rather high) then and the person lives 8-10 years longer, knowing bob and kath, i know they would have been able to make a higher profit elsewhere.

as bob pointed out - the alternative for many of these people is to freeze to death in cold conditions we in australia cannot comprehend - of go to a subacceptable nursing home as they have no other assets than an inexpensive home.

i wouldn't do what they are talking about - because i couldn't be bothered - but i don't have a problem with them doing so.

i won't say it's "noble" as monopoly seems to like to think she is - but i can see it as a win/win situation.

goodness gracious folks - look at the facts and remove the emotion!

monopoly - having seen the homeless and starving and freezing and gaunt elderly in horrific conditions, i would have thought you would have been an advocator. instead, do you expect bob and kath to ignore the plight of these people they can help to a mutually beneficial situation, or would you rather they just forked out the $23,000 a year with nothing but warm fuzzies in return?

p.s. i assume in bob's orginal "maintenance figures he didn't include the orginal insulation and orginal repair cost as $1000 won't get very far when installing r2000 bats.

I think this thread has become quite ugly, no need to attack and character assasinate someone because they have different views.

MTR

Nevertheless, it is raising an important social issue, that of how we deal with society's vulnerable.

I am always amazed at the naivety and double standards of so many, who want to outsource care of their aged parents to a nursing home/hospital for a pittance, so they can get on with their designer lifestyles.

I used to contract to nursing homes, and weekly, I saw the adult children of residents show up in the latest model Merc, and not be inclined to put their hand in their pocket to pay for additional lifestyle enhancing services for their dear old Mom.

Let's face it. western society has a split personality, and a disinclination towards manual labor. Otherwise they'd keep their aged at home, and sacrifice the latte lifestyle and demand their idol kids leave the xbox alone for a few hours a week while playing with granny.

Further, many in society think health care professionals should be paid less than lawyers/teachers/policemen because we deal with people who are vulnerable. IMHO, people who think that have the freedom to drop out of their chosen profession, and work for minimal wages in aged care.

i won't say it's "noble" as monopoly seems to like to think she is - but i can see it as a win/win situation..
Hardly call myself "noble" Lizzie, in fact, I regret saying as much as I did about what I do. It is preciously for this reason, that I try not to talk about my work.

monopoly - having seen the homeless and starving and freezing and gaunt elderly in horrific conditions, i would have thought you would have been an advocator. instead, do you expect bob and kath to ignore the plight of these people they can help to a mutually beneficial situation, or would you rather they just forked out the $23,000 a year with nothing but warm fuzzies in return?
Not at all Lizzie, of course there should be some reward, but given the way the evidence was presented, it seemed as cold and as heartless as the snow they hope to keep at bay. Had they said, we're looking at investing in a nursing home, one with a difference maybe I would have patted them on the back and said "geez, I hope you do a better job than some of the #@@%# ones that exist here"!!

Bottom line, I'll take my beating happily if that if what is deserved. I don't believe it is, but I'm sure that many will beg to differ.

So you have 37 properties....why the the thin skin?? Have not abused you...I just felt very strongly about what I see as exploitation. Personally, I think you are leaving yourself open to a legal situation.....but hey it is your call.

If you have 37 properties with positive CF then...you should be enjoying your lives.....

Bear in mind it is an internet forum....develop a thick skin...you will need it. All the successful long timer on this site have the hide of elephants....and they keep coming for more.

I would be interested to know about your 37 properties....obviously this thing you are doing for elderly people is a recent thing. Also, I find it hard to believe that there is no services for the elderly in Novia Scotia....Canadian social services are quite good or better then OZ. I have friends in the Canada and they seem to think it is quite generous....also the govt. seems to subsidize heating for people unlike Russsia where the elderly and the poor sometimes freeze to death.:)

Everytime we post something different to " I have one ip I am an investment guru "
the same people reply, abusive, aggressive, and wrong.
we have 37 properties, mostly CF+, some CFneutral (rented to own mostly), and have never done anything unethical

Heaters in private homes here are the same size as Collins Place, and probably most other towers, they output in 150000 BTU/hour = 45KW = 180amps*240V range. Its cold enough that if windows dont seal right or insulation is perfect, that isnt enough heat to warm the house.
picture 18 of the 2400w fan heaters from bunnings in the averge 3*1 fhb home and its wont go ~10C​
very upset, at the negativity, abuse, accusations of criminality and immorality.

Try to shrug off the **expletive deleted** it reflects more upon them than me,
My tenants and ex-tenants stop me on the street to chat, their children and the dogs.
I have Tshirts with "Evil Landlord" on the sleeve, they think its funny as hell.
Only one speaks ill of us, she lost her grow op, and then had to pay for the damage she did to the apartment, she hadnt had the landlord prosecute any of the previous times she had done the same thing.
We give all our tenants copies of the local RTAct, and the telephone number of the local RTBoard and tell them that if they have problems with us that we dont resolve, call em.
We self manage, so deal with all the daily BS, and are very proud of our properties, and ethics.

We are CF+ CG+ morality+ and work bloody hard to be so

So you have 37 properties....why the the thin skin?? Have not abused you...I just felt very strongly about what I see as exploitation. Personally, I think you are leaving yourself open to a legal situation.....but hey it is your call.

If you have 37 properties with positive CF then...you should be enjoying your lives.....

Bear in mind it is an internet forum....develop a thick skin...you will need it. All the successful long timer on this site have the hide of elephants....and they keep coming for more.

I would be interested to know about your 37 properties....obviously this thing you are doing for elderly people is a recent thing. Also, I find it hard to believe that there is no services for the elderly in Novia Scotia....Canadian social services are quite good or better then OZ. I have friends in the Canada and they seem to think it is quite generous....also the govt. seems to subsidize heating for people unlike Russsia where the elderly and the poor sometimes freeze to death.:)

Everytime we post something different to " I have one ip I am an investment guru "
the same people reply, abusive, aggressive, and wrong.
we have 37 properties, mostly CF+, some CFneutral (rented to own mostly), and have never done anything unethical

Heaters in private homes here are the same size as Collins Place, and probably most other towers, they output in 150000 BTU/hour = 45KW = 180amps*240V range. Its cold enough that if windows dont seal right or insulation is perfect, that isnt enough heat to warm the house.
picture 18 of the 2400w fan heaters from bunnings in the averge 3*1 fhb home and its wont go ~10C​
very upset, at the negativity, abuse, accusations of criminality and immorality.

Try to shrug off the **expletive deleted** it reflects more upon them than me,
My tenants and ex-tenants stop me on the street to chat, their children and the dogs.
I have Tshirts with "Evil Landlord" on the sleeve, they think its funny as hell.
Only one speaks ill of us, she lost her grow op, and then had to pay for the damage she did to the apartment, she hadnt had the landlord prosecute any of the previous times she had done the same thing.
We give all our tenants copies of the local RTAct, and the telephone number of the local RTBoard and tell them that if they have problems with us that we dont resolve, call em.
We self manage, so deal with all the daily BS, and are very proud of our properties, and ethics.

We are CF+ CG+ morality+ and work bloody hard to be so

'ts what we are doing, trying to assist the most vulnerable in the community that we live in,
Not to gouge the most vulnerable in the community we live in

Everyone has friends in Canada, always in Toronto Calgary, elsewhere than the Maritimes, the Have-Not provinces,
They werent always the have-not provinces, a century and a half ago (abouts) the new provinces borrowed hugely from the existing provinces to establish themselves, and then voted to not pay it back, instantly creating the have-not provinces
immigrants and history lessons​

there is a link in the signature on every post

How about a double poll such as:

When your parents are no longer able to care for themselves, where do you plan for them to be housed and cared for?

Are you happy with Australia's standard of aged care?

I don't think there is likely to be much more progress with this specific thread without it getting too personal, so I am locking it.

I welcome the debate about the issue of negotiating a great deal vs preying on vulnerable people - but perhaps it deserves a new thread which is not about a specific situation and deals with generalities and ideas more than criticising individual strategies.

Back