Inflation-The Silent Tax & Grocery Goods Thread

Not a big chocolate fan but lindt over cadbury any day!! Few squares to share with a buddy and glass of red... nice :)
I think smaller sizes for junk food are good. Happy to pay same price - they are still cheap when you consider the energy value. By comparison healthy foods are expensive.

There's fewer and fewer Tim Tams in each packet than 7 years ago; and has anyone noticed the new Tim Tam flavours that have chunks of mint or honeycomb in them? They weigh even less than the "standard" packet! But the price is the same!

There's fewer and fewer Tim Tams in each packet than 7 years ago; and has anyone noticed the new Tim Tam flavours that have chunks of mint or honeycomb in them? They weigh even less than the "standard" packet! But the price is the same!

But who's to say the added ingredients in those newer versions aren't more costly than the standard chocolate? It's been a while since I traded in the honeycomb futures. :p

I have no issue with paying the same price for a smaller size, if I can resist buying more of them to make up the difference! :eek:The less junk I consume the better. I do however have a big issue when they advertise falsely.

In Woolies a few months back, I pointed out to the manager that the potatoe chips were being advertised on giant posters hanging from the ceiling as being great value for however many grams (forgotten I think it was 225-250grams) but not one of their packets weighed that much. All the ones I could see were 175grams)He was very surprised, and said he'd call the rep about the misleading advertising needing to be updated as the weight of packaged product was clearly less than advertised. Three days later the signs were still up. :(

But who's to say the added ingredients in those newer versions aren't more costly than the standard chocolate? It's been a while since I traded in the honeycomb futures. :p

New improved honeycomb. Now with added air for a new great taste sensation*

* product may be smaller and contain less solid ingredients than previously advertised.

:D:D

hubby likes his uncle toby's museli for breakfast, but i'm very careful to check to boxes for weight. the boxes are all the same size and price, but the weight per type can vary up to 25% (ie, from less that 600 up to 800). very deceptive as if you didn't look close you'd think they were all the same.

Do you have price per weight/mls in your store yet? We have it in our Woolies store, I think it is a trial, and it is simply amazing to see how that works. You think that you are getting a bargain on an advertised price, but when you see the 'cost per kilo' for instance, often the normal price item is much cheaper. Even applies to so called 'bulk savings' - sometimes they just aren't but it is so hard to do the maths on the spot without a calculator because the weights are never the same.

Do you have price per weight/mls in your store yet?
I can easily calculate the per 100gram weight and compare quickly in my head, Have always assume this was normal and wondered why so many people buy stupid product.

Took me a while to realise most people can't add up let alone do division or multiplication in there head and remember the number and do it again to compare against another number.

Oh well, I'll live with my curse and the rest of you can read the little tags when they show up in your store so you too can compare apples to apples.

Cheers
Graeme

when we lived in karrinyup - our weekly shop was about $250-$300.

when we started shopping at clarkson, our weekly shop - same items - is now $150-$225.

HUGE DIFFERENCE - that's a full cc payment a month.

thank the maker for living so close to "mortgage belt"!

Oh well, I'll live with my curse and the rest of you can read the little tags when they show up in your store so you too can compare apples to apples.

:rolleyes: I am not talking the obvious here, but the numerous offers that have different weights per individual unit and you need to do multiple conversions to get the answer. Perhaps you do not do much shopping but ask anyone who has to do a weekly shop of around $300 with a cranky kid in tow and I bet they dont have the time!

As an example, who can work out which is the better buy in a 5 second grab.

12 muesli bars (in 1 package) each bar weighs 72 grams (note - there is no total weight given) for $5.00 normal price, or an offer to buy 2 packets of 10 muesli bars (20 in total) each containing bars weighing 68 grams for $7.65.

Hardly oranges to oranges when the weight of the items in each offer is different. I know I dont have the time to work it out, but then, I have a life. You keep to your strategy, I will enjoy mine thanks.

Hey Pushka, I haven't downloaded it so don't know how well it works but if you have an iPhone there is an application that does all the math for you when you type in the prices and sizes of two different products to give you the price per gram. Mind you you'll probably triple the time you spend in the supermarket typing in all the figures :D

Hey Pushka, I haven't downloaded it so don't know how well it works but if you have an iPhone there is an application that does all the math for you when you type in the prices and sizes of two different products to give you the price per gram. Mind you you'll probably triple the time you spend in the supermarket typing in all the figures :D

The bloody iphone!:p I have one and love it - except we were at a dinner party on Saturday and another IT person and I spent quite a while comparing and downloading each other's apps. The 'iphone disbelievers' started to get a little antsy with us!:D Will check it out though!;)

Making the news tonight on a few different channels was skyrocketing food prices.

Food has risen 93% in 20 years :eek:
They must be short of a story.
I make that an increase of 3.34% compound. :D

See ya's.

Making the news tonight on a few different channels was skyrocketing food prices.

Food has risen 93% in 20 years :eek:
They must be short of a story.
I make that an increase of 3.34% compound. :D

See ya's.

In SA, our prices have risen faster than that - something like 20% in a year.
You know TC; I wouldnt mind this price rise (well, I would be less cross about it maybe:p) if the farmers were the ones who have received a fair slab of it for their effort, and especially their stress levels. But we all know that most (if not all) of this increase has gone straight back to the BIG TWO!

In SA, our prices have risen faster than that - something like 20% in a year.
!

I wonder if that figure has captured some of the bubble that happened 12 months ago? Everything has crashed back down since then, and also thankfully inputs as well like fert.

Last I heard dairy farmers were looking at 26c a litre for milk again, or something ridiculous like that.

See ya's.

ps. Looks like Euro and US governments are ramping up farm subsidies again.
US and Euro taxpayers subsidising Aussie consumers.
http://business.theage.com.au/business/us-kick-in-guts-to-dairy-farmers-20090523-bj1n.html

Last edited:
Interesting to actually read labels, tea bags, both boxes 100, both same price. Actually reading the weight I discovered one brand has more actual weight in it and we notice the tea goes black a lot faster when made so obviously stronger

The QLD Government increased the penalty amount on Traffic Infringement Notices by 33% at the start of the year.

They are trying hard to reduce the deficit. Quickly.

Back