Interest rates under an Abbott government?

Thanks for asking, Peter.

Well, I actually began this thread with these very words -

With the Labor government (thanks to Slipper, Thomson and Gillard herself) now almost surely to fall sooner rather than later, how do property investors need to review their game plan?

Can I ask: Does asking if Abbott's team will make for good government make me a Gillard government supporter?

Last edited:

Can I ask: Does asking if Abbott's team will make for good government make me a Gillard government supporter?
No, but your other comments do. Also, why start a political thread?
To me as a property investor it's not only the interest rate that matters, wouldn't you agree (just look at Japan and it's low interest rate what good did it do for property when debt is out of control - yes there are other factors that contributed, I am just presenting a broader picture, that's all)?
It's not also scoring points in words or information or knowledge.
I don't care who rules as long as they make good decisions.
I want the economy as a whole to prosper to have less debt especially when revenues coming in were quote by the Reserve Bank to be once in a 100 years, to spend wisely and so on and on and on.
Is this so much to ask for?
Playing with people's minds can be quite dangerous, as quoted by John Milton:
“The mind in itself and in its own place
can make a hell out of heaven
or a heaven out of hell.”

John Milton
So let's make a heaven out of hell, as I like to see myself an optimist for change. So how do you see yourself?:confused:

Here's my two cents on current Labor Govt:

Article showing Labor has direct ties to radical feminist organisations.

Note that I said RADICAL feminist organisations. Also will make it clear here that I do not support the right wing political views expressed by the founders of this particular site, merely linking to the article.

Also:

- Senate repealed 'shared care' legislation introduced by Howard Govt. that was enacted to ensure fathers had more time with their children.

- VAWA-like legislation that ruins men's civil rights

I think it is important to focus not just on the economic side, but how changes to legislation can affect the rights of certain groups. In this case, anyone born with a Y chromosome.

why start a political thread?

So let's make a heaven out of hell, as I like to see myself an optimist for change. So how do you see yourself?:confused:

Don't you see MIW, to use your very own words above, there's nothing more political than optimistically wanting to make a heaven out of a hell? And I see myself wanting the very same things you do when you say in these words -

I don't care who rules as long as they make good decisions.
I want the economy as a whole to prosper to have less debt especially when revenues coming in were quote by the Reserve Bank to be once in a 100 years, to spend wisely and so on and on and on.
Is this so much to ask for?

Now, I suspect you believe an Abbott team will deliver good government. Okay. Why?

Forgive me, but I expect they'll deliver a government hell-bent on pandering to power and greed.

Damn straight....

Labor were handed tens of billions in cash and no debt in Dec '07.

4.5 years tick by...

Labor now have no cash and $ 136 billion in debt....and continue to burn at the rate of $ 100m per day. Joy !!

I dont think Labor have done a good job....... but its impossible to say that the Libs wouldnt have also spent the surplus.
We saw in Tony Abbott's approach to Andrew Wilkie that he was prepared to offer a huge amount to win his support, and in the policies that have been put forward by the Libs have been costly ones, and would mean that we wouldnt go back into surplus. Joe Hockey is not renowned for his economic management.
Its a very different team to the previous Howard/ Costello government. The Libs seem to be taking over the position of offering lots of promises without having the money to spend.
So, I'm not so convinced that the Libs would have acted so differently in terms of spending money during the GFC.... maybe they would have managed the implementation better, but there is no guarantee of that...........

You might be disappointed when the Libs get back in.

Hi Belbo

Why do so many feel that in having an opinion of the present Government automatically means you are for or against them. And feel they then have to label your support for:
  1. Libs you are redneck business owner, or
  2. if Labor you are , green leaning communist.
I have an opinion of how the Labor Gov is leading us and it is terrible.

It is not biased. It is not political. I am a swinging voter.

My opinion is based on continued, proven failure to get most things up and going. They admitted themselves when they dumped Rudd. We have not listened they said. We will they said. Nothing changed so..

How can any Gov expect my respect when they:

Support Fair Work taking three years to investigate a Pollie who may have routing $100K, we all know it does not take 3 years. It should be 3 months.

Say it has nothing to do with them when the Speaker they did a deal to get is accused of sexual harassment and fraud.

do a deal with an independent to block pokies to make Government and then renege when the independent is not longer needed and say, so what.

Sack Rudd as PM but give him Foreign Minister but then when he challenges claim he is terrible and useless ( again) and always was. If so, WHY was this man our Foreign Minister.

We are yet to see what Abbot Liberal Government will do. It will not be perfect. No one is. We can only assess what we have now and Labor shows no ability, no care, no respect for US so we must have change.

I actually wish Labor was better. The weaker they are, the less useful they will be in opposition. Again not biased, no redneck, just not stupid.

If the Libs do they same, they can expect the same from me.

Regards, Peter 14.7

Great post Peter.... that is my situation as well. Tried to give you kudos, but I have to spread them around before I can give them to you again!
My biggest gripe with this govt is the way they have managed Slipper and Thomson. It shows a lack of credibility/ integrity that I dont want to see in our leaders.

I dont think Labor have done a good job....... but its impossible to say that the Libs wouldnt have also spent the surplus.

Yes, it's impossible to say what they would have done with the surplus.....but what one can say penny, is that thanks to the Libs, at least there was a surplus....they had put something away in the kitty for a rainy day.

There just happened to be a rainy day just around the corner. Wasn't the country fortunate to have that surplus to spend, rather than some 136 billion debt swinging over our heads ??

What we can guarantee, is that the policies that delivered the slate clean from the Keating debt pile, and provided the surplus in the first place, are still there.

Labor were constantly attacking Howard, now they constantly attack Abbott....what doesn't change is the bedrock policies of the party - the economic credentials to run a country. This is where attacking the man at the helm doesn't achieve anything. The direction of the ship won't change.

Although, having said that, Turnbull was different. He swung the boat around and pointed it in a direction that the rest of the crew didn't like. He was forced to walk the plank, and now the ship is definitely headed in the right direction.

Its a very different team to the previous Howard/ Costello government.

....a little bit penny, but the fundamental principles have not changed.

Compared to the incompetent Labor / Green alliance, I don't think so......when they get back in, I'll be doing backflips. Hell, I was doing backflips when the Libs got back in, in WA, Vic, NSW and now Qld. When they get back in federally, I'll be doing handstands.

This is Abbotts black hole gillard and swan talk about. He keeps making promises that cost a bomb and says well also get the budget in the black. Hello!

Either he'll renege on his promises or hell be in the red, can't be both.

and in the policies that have been put forward by the Libs have been costly ones, and would mean that we wouldnt go back into surplus.

We saw in Tony Abbott's approach to Andrew Wilkie that he was prepared to offer a huge amount to win his support, and in the policies that have been put forward by the Libs have been costly ones, and would mean that we wouldnt go back into surplus. Joe Hockey is not renowned for his economic management.
Its a very different team to the previous Howard/ Costello government. The Libs seem to be taking over the position of offering lots of promises without having the money to spend.
So, I'm not so convinced that the Libs would have acted so differently in terms of spending money during the GFC.... maybe they would have managed the implementation better, but there is no guarantee of that...........

Yes, Penny. That's essentially how I feel. But some of us still haven't forgotten that Treasury found an $11b unfunded black hole of promises in the Abbott-Hockey budget going into the last election either. You can't blame Labor for that sort of stupidity. It's just them.

So 'disappointed' might turn out to be an understatement, particularly if interest rates are forced to skyrocket due to unfunded and pork-barrel spending when they get into government, followed predictably by the tough cut-backs (targetting society's weakest, of course) that their stupidity will make necessary.

It should be like Monty Python meets The Hunger Games. Entertaining for some no doubt, but objectively, it's likely to be just downright appalling (if not devastating for up and coming property investors).

Observe and wonder at the tax receipts as a % of GDP over time.

Bonus points for picking the high taxing administration.

Attachments

• 13_appendix_d-1.gif
    13_appendix_d-1.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 60

Your welcome

Agree

Yes you can ask and No. It makes you an educated property investor.

Hence your question is valid. The answer begs analysis of the only measure point we all have, which is past Coalition Governments. From what I know and read from respected sources, Liberals have been better at managing the economy. But that is an opinion based on personal circumstances and then the debate of Politics begin.

Noting that, IMO what I see if we are more linked to the World Economy than ever before so the Gov of the day can do less.

Regards, Peter 14.7

The answer begs analysis of the only measure point we all have, which is past Coalition Governments. From what I know and read from respected sources, Liberals have been better at managing the economy. But that is an opinion based on personal circumstances and then the debate of Politics begin.

Noting that, IMO what I see if we are more linked to the World Economy than ever before so the Gov of the day can do less.

Regards, Peter 14.7

Agreed. Globalisation has severely curtailed the power of sovereign governments. Indeed today, most governments are held virtually hostage by international capital markets: Just look at the power they have over European countries, including France & Germany! This makes wise governing a greater, not a lesser, responsibility than ever before.

If you were to review my posts here Peter you would see that I have actually not set out to defend past Labor governments nor belittle past Coalition governments. My view is that there has been an essentially bipartisan effort over the last 30 years to restructure the Australian economy, and that this paid off during the GFC, leaving us with the strongest developed economy in the world. The core Hawke-Keating reforms set the foundations, the Howard-Costello pro-growth policies built the walls, and the Rudd-Swan stimulus got the roof up just in time.

Howard lost government because he decided he would have an ideologically-driven go at changing the foundations (WorkChoices). The electorate basically said don't try fix what isn't broken. The Gillard government has been broken from the outset, with no more of a mandate than to tinker around the edges. The proposed Abbott government promises to demolish that tinkering. Then, you'll see, it'll go for the foundations again.

For all Australia has achieved over the last 3 decades, is this the sort of government we deserve next Peter?

For all Australia has achieved over the last 3 decades, is this the sort of government we deserve next Peter?

Firstly, excellent summation and balanced view of the AUS government.

And No, we deserve so much better.

We are a great country with so many advantages we should be leading the world in solar, nuclear, environment, farming, mining, etc.. but like the term "lucky country" which was coined to be, "lucky despite ourselves"..... we waste and dilute our potential with pander, short term gain, minority focus, no big picture vision.

Will it get better? Only if we the people get to vote for real leadership. But where are the leaders when we get to elect Pollies from a small gene pool of lawyers, activists, unions reps, etc...Both sides.

Even as an employer I felt uneasy with Workchoices. I thought of my illiterate dad, working 27 years night shift in a factory after hard slog farming before that. My mum, a "home help" lady, essentially, cleaner to pensioners. They would be people burnt by Work choices. I also felt Howard was tired and should have passed to Costello much earlier.

So I voted Labor for the first time ever in hope this new guy Rudd had the guts to apply the vision he talked about. Yet was disappointed the labor party could not pull it off. They blamed Rudd and dumped him.

I hope Liberals and Abbott can suprise us all. Howard did. He risked all with the GST election. A fundamental and essential change. He tightened gun controls. He introduced the baby bonus. Sure he was sneaky but all pollies are. I man's sneaky is another man's smarts.

I think Abbot will surprise us. I am worried about Hockey as treasurer. Both Hawke and Howard had excellent Treasurers in Keating and Costello. Hocking is unknown.

What I will say about Abbot is he is principled. He sticks to what he believes. He is tough. He is honest to the point of disadvantage. He is WYSIWYG. Regardless people respect that.

Gillard is the opposite, lacking convictions, you always feel she is thinking about every word to ensure she does not offend.

She is never willing to admit wrong, ever. The overuse of glib phrases like "working families" and "moving forward". We are not the USA.

AND the big one for me, the carbon tax. In the end you cannot say to the people, I will not do something a day before the election, then do it. She said we would have people committee to talk Climate Change. She should have struck a deal with Greens to meet on that basis and put the carbon scheme to the people like the GST in 2013. It would have been only a delay of 1 year and would have then had the mandate. If she lost so be it.

So it seems we both hope for better Government in our hearts but our heads say other wise.

regards Peter 14.7

Last edited:
Its a bit too small for me to read, even when I try to zoom in... any possibility of making it a bit bigger, or telling us the information that it contains.

He is implying that as a % of GDP, Howard is the higher taxing government compared to Labor.

Back