Interest rates under an Abbott government?

Maybe you guys get a different view of the NSW govt than what we do. Over here Ofarrell is getting to be really on the nose. As the previous party, he's doing SFA and trying to make it look much better than it is.

Meanwhile, im still waiting for replies to my queries to Dazz and Turk's credibility devoid posts.. :rolleyes:

Happy to reply, but which post are you referring to?

Simply incredible.

No sooner had I typed the following . . .
Abbott's offering nothing we need. He's just offering a return to class warfare. No-one needs him in power to understand that. We can all see it's what he stands for in everything he says. But class warfare doesn't make the pie any bigger. It just takes from the weak to give a bigger portion to the powerful. And that game always has and always will end in failure, because it's stupid. The only thing that makes the pie bigger is genuine nation-building economic reform.
. . . than Abbott declares that his incoming government intends to pick the mother of all fights with the unions . . .
So our commitment today is to ensure that essentially the same governance rules that apply to businesses and that you adhere to in your business life, will apply to unions and union officials as they go about the business of running their unions. ...

And there will be a new cop to ensure that these rules are properly enforced. We won’t have the same person or the same conflicted entity enforcing the rules and mediating between the warring parties, we will have a Registered Organisations omission that will ensure that unions are well run in practice as well as in theory, and I tell you what, under the Registered Organisations Commission it won’t take more than three years to investigate an open and shut case of wrongdoing.
per Tony Abbott's home page, no less

This is exactly the sort of populist ideological nonsense that ultimately undid Howard, because the electorate wants to see economic development - not the political distraction of pointless class warfare beginning with union baiting.

Well, not really a query, i jut wanted you to decide whether we are paying $6 billion interest per year by borrowing money OS for stimulus as you said in one post or whether the money came from Howard's so-called surplus as you said in another. :rolleyes:

You have ignored it (for good reason) but you cant have it both ways.

...take a seat chief, it's gonna be a while....answering your queries are at the bottom of my priority list. :)

Friday's AFR page 18. Look it up.

Heho Tex

I've now finished with the comic pages(you'll have to do better with your attempts to belittle me as I've been insulted by experts)

I've moved on to page 18 of Fridays AFR to view your amazing links.

This page is headed "Companies and Markets"

Articles -Its down to the wire at Spotless.
- Acrux braces for royality hit.
-Suspended Kagara strives to avoid going kaput.
-In Brief(a paragraph on different compaies).

Not a mention of Victoria, Ballieu or deficits.

So tell us Tex are you all pxxs and wind or do you have any substance?

How about you have another go at posting links showing the current position of the Victorian budget?

This is exactly the sort of populist ideological nonsense that ultimately undid Howard, because the electorate wants to see economic development - not the political distraction of pointless class warfare beginning with union baiting.

So it's OK for the unions to play dirty, for example by ignoring Fair Work Australia orders to get back to work (Nurses Union), yet it's political game playing to cut back on this kind of militant behaviour?

Heho Tex

I've now finished with the comic pages(you'll have to do better with your attempts to belittle me as I've been insulted by experts)

I've moved on to page 18 of Fridays AFR to view your amazing links.

This page is headed "Companies and Markets"

Articles -Its down to the wire at Spotless.
- Acrux braces for royality hit.
-Suspended Kagara strives to avoid going kaput.
-In Brief(a paragraph on different compaies).

Not a mention of Victoria, Ballieu or deficits.

So tell us Tex are you all pxxs and wind or do you have any substance?

How about you have another go at posting links showing the current position of the Victorian budget?

Probably on a prior page then, pointing out that Baillieu's treasurer was softening up the media for a budget shortfall. Yes, you might say Baillieu then stepped in to confirm he'd reach surplus, but it must be close enough to the wire to not care.

But tell me, Turkish, do you actually have anything interesting yourself to say in respect of Abbott's likely capacity to deliver surpluses (viz. the thread topic), or do you see your role solely as running pendantic interference on details of trivia in such discussions?

Probably on a prior page then, pointing out that Baillieu's treasurer was softening up the media for a budget shortfall. Yes, you might say Baillieu then stepped in to confirm he'd reach surplus, but it must be close enough to the wire to not care.

But tell me, Turkish, do you actually have anything interesting yourself to say in respect of Abbott's likely capacity to deliver surpluses (viz. the thread topic), or do you see your role solely as running pendantic interference on details of trivia in such discussions?

Tex

You were the one brought up State Governments and claimed as fact that Ballieu was running a budget deficit and when challenged gave the AFR link.

There are no articles in Fridays AFR concerning a Victorian budget deficit.

You seem to accept as fact articles that support your bias, is that normal for someone that claims to be politically neutral?

As you are still posting just pxxs and wind in regards to the above, we have now reached the point where we know that you regard the truth as trivia and your comprehension is sadly lacking.

Whether Abbot or Swan delivers a small budget surplus or deficit over 12 months is a relatively minor issue.

So it's OK for the unions to play dirty, for example by ignoring Fair Work Australia orders to get back to work (Nurses Union), yet it's political game playing to cut back on this kind of militant behaviour?

Aaron,

Let me just say this first: I'm not defending either the Gillard government or the unions. Secondly, I don't think it's right or okay for any union (or employer) to ignore or play the FWA umpire. But thirdly, a question: What's really going on here with all this sudden explosion of union unrest, eh?

The answer is, as I suspect you know, that it goes back to Howard and WorkChoices. Howard stirred up an absolute hornet's nest there in the mid noughties completely unnecessarily - right when unions were docile and wage growth was entirely mild. Restricting the role of unions in bargaining and relaxing unfair dismissal rules was one thing (i.e. the electorate could have lived with), but then including the removal of the 'no disadvantage test' was sheer ideological lunacy. It not only cost him the election, but thoroughly radicalised the entire union movement nationwide.

Not surprisingly, FWA was what the unions got in political payment from Gillard & Co for doing so much to bring down the Howard government. It's a bad structure indeed, but precisely because it was built on such very bad blood. To now blame the unions for abusing it is just as a tendentious as blaming employers (Qantas, BHP, etc) for now abusing it. The truth is that it's the legacy of a totally unprovoked and foolish play by Howard at class warfare, and Abbott's now singing from the same misbegotten songsheet.

I don't believe any remotely sensible business person or worker in this country wants to return to the insane days of strife and strikes that characterised the 1970s. But there'll always be enough lunatics to make it happen if someone with enough power and arrogance wants it to happen. So, we are now going to see it happen. For no constructive reason. Yay!

Give the guy a chance. Ballieu's mopping up Labor's mess, who've been in there since October 1999.

He's only been in the job 16 months.....far too early to say one way or t'other.

If Ballieu has his way, Victoria will be one big strip mine... Anyone seen the Mining Exploration licences issued of late, especially the rather controversial ones in 2 urban growth corridors either side of Melbourne?

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0007/37465/map-as-of-16-apr.jpg

For the record, I am neither left nor right but one thing is for sure; any claimed surplus built off the back of squandering our natural resources is not evidence of smart leadership. Any idiot can do this.... left or right. As both parties have proven time and again...

Long term economic stability established through sustainable growth of multi-sector industrial development is hard.... when a politician emerges that is intelligent enough to recognize a responsible approach to fiscal policy and have the intestinal fortitude to tackle the problem, perhaps then we can credit any surplus to their good management.

Until then, selling off the "family jewels" and claiming a surplus is nothing short of deceitful & not necessarily in the public interest.

If Ballieu has his way, Victoria will be one big strip mine... Anyone seen the Mining Exploration licences issued of late, especially the rather controversial ones in 2 urban growth corridors either side of Melbourne?

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0007/37465/map-as-of-16-apr.jpg

For the record, I am neither left nor right but one thing is for sure; any claimed surplus built off the back of squandering our natural resources is not evidence of smart leadership. Any idiot can do this.... left or right. As both parties have proven time and again...

Long term economic stability established through sustainable growth of multi-sector industrial development is hard.... when a politician emerges that is intelligent enough to recognize a responsible approach to fiscal policy and have the intestinal fortitude to tackle the problem, perhaps then we can credit any surplus to their good management.

Until then, selling off the "family jewels" and claiming a surplus is nothing short of deceitful & not necessarily in the public interest.

Well said.

If Ballieu has his way, Victoria will be one big strip mine... Until then, selling off the "family jewels" and claiming a surplus is nothing short of deceitful & not necessarily in the public interest.

Not sure what else you expect of Ted Baillieu given that is what he's done with his family money as well, selling his mother's beautiful lot on St George's road when she died.

.......Ballieu in Victoria and O'Farrell in NSW are proving abject failures because they came into office as raging ideologues rather than rational managers......

My comment is only in reference to Baillieu government. To characterise his government as 'raging ideologues' couldn't be further from the truth and all of the decisions have been quite pragmatic. Yes, they have been slow, but they have been measured in responding to some complex issues eg Myki, public transport/infrastructure prioritisation, Desal plant

In today's Age, No magic pudding shows a familiar story that is being played out with the Federal Budget. Falling revenues and a government committed to maintaining a surplus/balanced budget, in the face of a slowing economy.

My comment is only in reference to Baillieu government. To characterise his government as 'raging ideologues' couldn't be further from the truth and all of the decisions have been quite pragmatic. Yes, they have been slow, but they have been measured in responding to some complex issues eg Myki, public transport/infrastructure prioritisation, Desal plant

In today's Age, No magic pudding shows a familiar story that is being played out with the Federal Budget. Falling revenues and a government committed to maintaining a surplus/balanced budget, in the face of a slowing economy.

Of course there's no magic pudding today, because there's not going to be the $100 million surplus Baillieu promised he would deliver in every one of his budgets when he was in raving ideologue mode back during the election. Indeed, according to that article you referenced, there's probably not even going to be a surplus (unless, as Indifference suggests, it's a sneaky one) -

The government's political strategy revolves around the idea of building up future surpluses to pay for infrastructure without taking on debt. Mr Baillieu said surpluses were not an end in themselves but the revenue downgrades have raised the prospect his may be the first Victorian government since the mid-1990s to unveil a deficit.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...udget-magic-20120429-1xt0e.html#ixzz1tTmH7fF5

Pragmatism without purpose - that is, without an economic reform and growth agenda - is what happens when you come into government simply as the anti-Labor. It's pretty hard to rage on without any wind left in your sails when it turns out you're not making any headway, but Abbott stepped in at the same conference to say that he had enough wind for all of them, and would be taking the fight to the unions himself.

Last edited:
Rubbery figures....well, if it is it wouldn't be the first time. Revenues brought forward, capital sales included in current expenditure, its all been done before at both Federal & State levels. I will be keen to see independent analysis of the budget.

As for strategy, there is an agenda (whether one agrees with it is another thing), however very much like Baillieu personally, they have not been communicating much or selling their message well when they do. (Sound familiar....:rolleyes:..). Only Peter Ryan (National Party Leader) has been the most visible and forthright, even during the controversy surrounding Simon Overland imbroglio.

The Vic polls now show both parties ~50-50, which is essentially the same at the last state election.

I have been lucky enough to score an invite to next week's Westpac's Federal Budget Dinner on Wednesday in Melbourne, with Bill Evans as the main speaker. Should be interesting to hear a detailed and non-partisan view of the budget.

I have been lucky enough to score an invite to next week's Westpac's Federal Budget Dinner on Wednesday in Melbourne, with Bill Evans as the main speaker. Should be interesting to hear a detailed and non-partisan view of the budget.

Indeed. Evans is looking mighty sage these days too, of course. It'd be much appreciated if you'd report back what he's thinking. Good score there on the invite too.

Ballieu in Victoria and O'Farrell in NSW are proving abject failures because they came into office as raging ideologues rather than rational managers.

This is exactly what we are seeing in Abbott too, with failure already all too certain.

Hi Belbo

A bit unfair to judge NSW and VIC Government on being in only 12 months or so. In fact, a smart gov does little for the first few years to build the bang in the election years. I suspect NSW is going that path. VIC don't know.

And again, on Abbott don't you think you destroy any objective comment by judging him in opposition. He has no power there?

Like it or not, the job of Opposition is to bag the Government. With the Labor Gov proven failures, it like "shooting fish in a barrel". Abbott is showing constraint when compared with his alleged persona IMO.

And lastly, if the Opposition is useless then what do you say about joining the Gov in the national Disability Scheme? If that a dumb idea.

Belbo, I like your posts but you need to consider both sides fairly to be considered objective.

I.e. I don't think Gillard is a bumbling fool. In another time another election she may have been great. Sadly, it is not her time.

And I voted Rudd with the hope he would be new Labor. He was except the NSW Disease of the Right and Factions gutted him.

Regards Peter 14.7

Last edited:
Back