Interior decorating - picture frames

I just can't seem to achieve the look I want in my house. Is there rules to make it work? I have mainly black frames, gold frames, light wood and dark wood frames. The House is fairly open plan. Should I limit to two colour frames. Should hallways only have one colour frame? Any other advice appreciated.

When decorating with frames you should either stick to one colour of multiple shapes and sizes or use identical shaped frames in different colours. The multi shaped gives it a freestyle quirky look while a uniform shape is a more structured conservative look.

I just can't seem to achieve the look I want in my house. Is there rules to make it work? I have mainly black frames, gold frames, light wood and dark wood frames. The House is fairly open plan. Should I limit to two colour frames. Should hallways only have one colour frame? Any other advice appreciated.
One of my mate's wife used to be the interior designer for Metricon (moved to a competitor).

We have been to loads of their display homes, and my mate's own house is an ex-Metricon designer home - it is gorgeous (they have no kids to wreck it of course :D).

A nice way to get ideas is to spend an afternoon at one of these types of estates and see what the decors are - most are set up to capture the interest of today's younger buyers.

You won't find much that is oldy-worldy though if that is your taste.

I got ideas by googling images of rooms decorated by the world's leading decorators. With these ideas, and a budget of 12k, I decorated a house (inherited) that failed to obtain a bid at auction (and had just one prior offer of 850k). Twelve month on, the house sold at auction for 965k. Taking into account the growth over this period we still made a significant profit.

So Beachgurl and Lizzie - when you say one colour - are you saying one colour for whole house? I think why it is so difficult is that most rooms have a view of another room - so they would definitely need to be the same colour. I had a friend that was a picture framer and he's used some or all gold in the frames and then I have some sepia prints of my kids in black frames which I think is really clashing! If I had to ditch one colour it would have to be the gold. does that mean I'd have to move my Gold framed mirror out of lounge room and into a bedroom also?? Or ditch completely?

Thanks for those decorating sites and ideas! I have been looking at houzz. Will check out the other suggestions.

It can be dangerous visiting new homes! $$$$ :D

I would limit to the same colour per room. If the frames are grouped together per room and each room is a different colour I think that would be ok. Just don't mix frame colours in the same room if they are different shapes and sizes.

I would limit to the same colour per room. If the frames are grouped together per room and each room is a different colour I think that would be ok. Just don't mix frame colours in the same room if they are different shapes and sizes.

Thanks. My favorite frames worked in my last house which was less open-plan then here. Eg. While standing in kitchen I can see into kitchen, hallway, 2 dining areas and 2 loungerooms. There is a glass window and glass door between the two loungerooms. Maybe I could cover the window with white shutters and stick my black frames in there. Will keep re-arranging!

Yep - beachgurl has it right ... different colours are "okay" within distant eyesight ... but anything near should be the same otherwise - as you've found out - they grate on the eye.

Colours in a similar tonal spectrum can be closer - such as black/grey/blue and silver - or gold and brown/red/cream ...

Yep - beachgurl has it right ... different colours are "okay" within distant eyesight ... but anything near should be the same otherwise - as you've found out - they grate on the eye.

Colours in a similar tonal spectrum can be closer - such as black/grey/blue and silver - or gold and brown/red/cream ...

Thanks, some great tips. I'm getting there! It has a very long hallway. I had gold frames at the front of the house and the two rooms coming off it and black frames at the end of the hall with black frames for the rooms coming off it. I've switched to gold for the whole hall and all the living areas coming off it and moved the black to the lounge that can be closed off to the open living areas. Silver frames and mirrors are in my bedroom. Light wood in another bedroom. Looking much better!!!

Back