Investors, forums and intelligence?

People don't seem as worried about spelling and grammar these days, and younger people see, generally, more interested in txt-speak.

Uni grads where I work sometimes have a hard time with the concept that badly written stuff doesn't go to clients. It has to be right.

Unfortunately the high school and university system rewards academic discipline, rather than actual intelligence these days.

But at the end of the day, I think a lot of the intelligent people are business owners or investors who bypassed the whole university stage and are now worth 10x their uni friends!

But at the end of the day, I think a lot of the intelligent people are business owners or investors who bypassed the whole university stage and are now worth 10x their uni friends!

Damn straight.

not to try and blow wind up my own sails.... but i'm pretty smart. Went to a selective high school, got a UAI of 93.15 without doing a single day of study. Started doing Telecomms engineering, and gave up 2.5 years in (failed a few subjects too), once i saw how hard engineers worked, and how much of their life they gave up for the proffession.

Most of my high school friends all graduated uni and have "professions".

Im worth far more now than any of my friends (except my rich friend... but thats a different story). I have a much easier job where i hardly ever work past 5.30pm, i take holidays every year, and i have 3 properties.
Most of my friends dont even have ONE house.

Oh yeah... i just turned 28 in nov.

So yeah - i agree that real "intelligent" people dont necessarily do well academically, because they see that they can work SMARTER, not harder.

Even my "rich friend" gave up his career as an investment banker with Maquarie to start up his own business.

Hey, don't knock "professions"!

I have a professional job which pays well, so does hubby, with regular payrises. This will allow us to buy 1 IP a year for the next 7+ yrs.

Wouldn't have been able to buy our PPOR this year if we were both working in retail, for example, not that there's anything wrong with working in retail (we have done plenty of it as students).

btw: I once met a lady at a conference and we had lunch together. She gave me her businees card and all it had on it was:

Her name

PHD

Phone number.

I kept the card as you never know when you might need a PHD.

Now to me, that's an idiot.

Ouch, that's harsh, my business card says pretty much the same thing and I chose it that way! I decided to leave my work title off because I work in a small field and everyone knows pretty much what I do anyway...

People don't seem as worried about spelling and grammar these days, and younger people see, generally, more interested in txt-speak.

Oh, be nice, not all younger people!

Although i don't think i'm quite comparable to many my age..i do have a habbit when sending texts, i used to always write a text with everything spelt correctly, except one..

Messages, why..? I always wrote, and still do at times, msgs, purely for the facts that i don't want to write messegers or massagers. I get confused!

But i must agree, SS does have a high standard of grammar and spelling, but i don't believe that we're smarter than the wider community..are we..?

G, i love the fact that people think because they went to uni or get fancy pieces of paper that say they're smart get all huffy and puffy when they're not the brightest tool in the shed. I recently got an award at school, i came second in my year (100 odd students) for maths, and i had a girl in my class that is very smart, always put 100% into it, nice girl but not so nice when she came third not first!

I have a brain, don't tend to use it much, but i know i'm not dumb. But it seems i come across as someone that isn't so tuned in. I think it's more to do with my friends and the area i live in than anything else. And i can't help but be pleased with myself and laugh at people that think that because they're parents paid for their education or go to uni that they are so smart, it cracks me up, i don't need a piece of paper to show the world that i have a brain. :rolleyes:

Hey, don't knock "professions"!

I have a professional job which pays well, so does hubby, with regular payrises. This will allow us to buy 1 IP a year for the next 7+ yrs.

Wouldn't have been able to buy our PPOR this year if we were both working in retail, for example, not that there's anything wrong with working in retail (we have done plenty of it as students).

Sorry, didnt mean to knock professions :)
Its just been my experience that my friends in their "professions" all work waaaay harder than i do in their day job, and still have less than me despite earning more.
I believe this is because they blow their money trying to make up for a lack of work-life balance by having expensive holidays, frivolous nights on the town, etc etc..... whereas im perfectly happy working my 9-5, earning a healthy enough salary, not having any stress, and having a wonderful work-life balance enabling me to happily invest wisely and not feel that ive "missed out" on anything.

Its just been my experience that my friends in their "professions" all work waaaay harder than i do in their day job, and still have less than me despite earning more.

Because as you said, they blow it on holidays, and then when you're able to retire earlier than them they're going to be extrememly confused because you earn less. :)

No I knew you weren't knocking professions, I was just trying to say that not all people who have professional jobs are like your friends.

hubby works 7 hrs and I work 7.5, never more per day! We wear jeans to work, so we don't have to spend a fortune on suits :D

our employers really value work-life balance, and we can pretty much take time off whenever we want it! I love my job :D

My kids all went to a public (state) primary and high school. The teachers don't worry much about spelling, writing, letter creation when writing, grammar.

I remember writing lines of aaaaa, bbbbb, ccc, etc, in those little books with lines so the a would sit on one line and touch the top line, then b would go up to the next line, q and j etc would go down to the next line, teachers made sure you created letters correctly, you had dotted letters to trace so you could create the letter correctly. All of that very basic stuff just doesn't seem to be taught anymore. Even the way to hold a pen, which used to stuff up the left handed kids (which could be a good thing now), kids just have to work out for themselves how to hold the pen/pencil.

Reading lots of good books tends to assist with grammar and spelling.

Cheers

I remember writing lines of aaaaa, bbbbb, ccc, etc, in those little books with lines so the a would sit on one line and touch the top line, then b would go up to the next line, q and j etc would go down to the next line, teachers made sure you created letters correctly, you had dotted letters to trace so you could create the letter correctly. All of that very basic stuff just doesn't seem to be taught anymore. Even the way to hold a pen, which used to stuff up the left handed kids (which could be a good thing now), kids just have to work out for themselves how to hold the pen/pencil.

Lol! I remember that, my ex boyfriend's Mum is a primary school teacher and i swear i never saw anything like that, it's like trying to get kids to write full sentences when they can't write "a"..? Another thing i've noticed, maybe it's just the people i know, but younger people's writing is hardly readable anymore, not because of grammar, but just writting in general.

Another thing about kids these days i've noticed, they are so damn rude!!
Starting high school i wouldn't say a peep to the older kids, nor was i rude, i always moved out of their way etc, now they just bardge through, and swear at you, no manners what so ever!

No please, no thankyou. Whereas teachers used to make you put your hand up and not speak until you're spoken to, make you say please if you wanted something and thankyou when recieved.

No I knew you weren't knocking professions, I was just trying to say that not all people who have professional jobs are like your friends.

hubby works 7 hrs and I work 7.5, never more per day! We wear jeans to work, so we don't have to spend a fortune on suits :D

our employers really value work-life balance, and we can pretty much take time off whenever we want it! I love my job :D
My employer is trying to reduce the spend on "wages", being a contractor I'm limited to 37.5 hours / week, that's all I can bill for, I need to regional managers approval to work more. It's easer to just stop.

And the whole suit thing. Sheez, I'm working today, at home, doing the telecomute thing for an interstate client, wearing board shorts and drinking a beer. I'm thinking I might get the 37.5 hours done in 4 days this week.

Very relaxed.

IT/Business degree, didn't know what else to do.:D

Cheers
Graeme

Nice :D Working from home is great isn't it? I do it a couple of days a month, allows me to do mundane things like hang the washing out in the times that i'd normally be travelling the 1/2 hr to and from work.

But business cards are meant for people who generally don't know what you do.
Or 'this is what i do and this is how you contact me when you want some of what i do'.

I think its a roundabout way of telling the world that you (and the lady i met) have a PHD. :rolleyes:

Is it a common practice in PHD circles?

Ouch, that's harsh, my business card says pretty much the same thing and I chose it that way! I decided to leave my work title off because I work in a small field and everyone knows pretty much what I do anyway...

But business cards are meant for people who generally don't know what you do.
Or 'this is what i do and this is how you contact me when you want some of what i do'.

Not for those who work in small fields, I reckon.... business cards only get given to those within the industry at various conferences, not to ppl from different fields...

Lol... having a chuckle looking at my business card and wondering why I ever decided to leave my title off it!

Not for those who work in small fields, I reckon.... business cards only get given to those within the industry at various conferences, not to ppl from different fields...

Lol... having a chuckle looking at my business card and wondering why I ever decided to leave my title off it!

I'd throw it in.

It could lead to an embarrassing situation if someone had two business cards, such as one for their physics lecturer from university, and one for their intimacy dysfunction psychologist, and both only stated their name, number & PHD qualification.

hmmm - don't have a business cards but often have a chuckle what i'd put on it:

lizzie
xyz pty limited
ceo

or

lizzie
xyz pty limited
tea lady

or today

lizzie
xyz pty limited
painter

titles don't impress me in the slightest - laughed my head off at an old work when the secretaries all got up in arms about one of the partners secretary being retitled "personal assistant". almost had a riot amongst them. what a load of crock.

personally - i am a high school dropout with street smarts and a high work ethic (most days). i usually outdo my highly paid professional hubby in those "test your iq" shows, but that is because i have an high "unacademic" iq but a high spacial, imagery and recall iq.

Back