Irresponsible scaremongering

Becoming a centre for education and medicine for the region would not be something to fear. The unfortunate reality is that as an intellectually lazy nation, satisfied with selling rocks to China and houses to each other, it is unlikely even a service capability can be easily achieved.

Redirecting resources and capital away from houses and holes and towards science, education, R&D and related infrastructure requires a level of political vision and courage not obviously apparent in the current crop of politicians or voters.

100% agree. intellectual capital is where it's at and too many people have let their kids become brain-lazy.

Now even the head of the Bank of England is getting in on the scaremongering:

World facing worst financial crisis in history, Bank of England Governor says
The world is facing the worst financial crisis since at least the 1930s “if not ever”, the Governor of the Bank of England said last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...in-history-Bank-of-England-Governor-says.html

He should try and think happy thoughts.

nope - just similar to the aftermath of the 1907 banker's panic.

Totally agree - as someone trying to get something off the ground. Gosh, I can wait for the day when I can say "it" is happening, rather than this perpetual prep stage ... by end of November!

Was discussing the above only the other week, with a very worldly guy who had done a lot of work for Austrade, along with teaching, over the last 30 years.

Asked him where he see's Australia positioned in the future, when the mining boom begins to peter out - ie - China=manufacturing, India=IT, UK=finance etc. His biggest fear was that, despite being a very innovative country, Australia would become a "service" country - tourism, education, medical etc - as there is nothing but disincentive for our entrepreneurs to develop their ideas or products here.

He didn't mean we manufacture here - he was very clear that we need to become a "brain" country, and use China/India as our brawn.

Wow - Australia an innovative country?

In 10 years time China will be far more innovative with the funding they throw in to R&D. In another 10, we'll be surpassed by India and Indonesia.

Scary thought isn't it - our third world neighbours surpassing us. No need to debate now - mark my words and think back to me in 10 years time. My name is Deltaberry.

Wow - Australia an innovative country?

In 10 years time China will be far more innovative with the funding they throw in to R&D. In another 10, we'll be surpassed by India and Indonesia.

Scary thought isn't it - our third world neighbours surpassing us. No need to debate now - mark my words and think back to me in 10 years time. My name is Deltaberry.

You're quite possibly correct.

So the big question to ask is how we invest to take advantage of this?

Why has this thread attracted so many first posts? :confused:

BTW, sash, it's "wunch of bankers" ;)

Hi guys,

Overpaid "wunch of banker" reporting to Somersoft.

But I agree with you and Sash. We're just overpaid people who happened to study well and showed a bit of smarts and career ambition. But no innovation.

Not sure where we ever got the idea that Australia was innovative. If I was American I probably would've done mathematics and invented something, or done programming and gave IT a shot, rather than study finance and law and become a werchant b@nker. I blame it on the culture.

Had a kid call me up last night - who I tutored back in uni days. His parents are average lawyers at city firms. He asked me how he could become a werchant b@nker. The guy's in year 12. What a sad state of affairs. I told him to go start a business - sell rugs or something and do something useful for society rather than b@nk on werchanting.

You're quite possibly correct.

So the big question to ask is how we invest to take advantage of this?

If you believe what I say, where do you see the growth in the next 2 decades?

Smart money in the region and smart people in the region have gone to Vietnam, Sth Korea, Indonesia and - of course - China and India.

As the United States was in the 60s, China will be in the 20s. And as China will be in the 20s, India will be in the 30s.

If you're not innovative, just buy some houses there.

Smart money in the region and smart people in the region have gone to Vietnam, Sth Korea, Indonesia and - of course - China and India.

As the United States was in the 60s, China will be in the 20s. And as China will be in the 20s, India will be in the 30s.

but vietnam has just got their property bubble burst recently

i'd say bali, dont mind to retire there :)

I'm thinking about trying to find some managed funds that invest in these areas. Softly, softly...

Or if the Chinese Government seizes land willy nilly of locals what hope has a foreigner got? :eek:

You're obviously a well-informed western world citizen who has read the Daily Telegraph and SMH articles and now know all about how China works. Nothing can be closer to the truth than News Corp and Fairfax.

Indeed, China is an arbitrary country and they can seize your land and babies when they feel like it. If you go there as a foreigner, they might shoot you on the street and pick your brains to eat it too. Consider yourself lucky if they leave your corpse in tact.

I wouldn't venture there if I were you. I hear they let bio-engineered prisoners roam the streets to detect the scent of money and mug people.

I swear last time I was there, this guy tried to drink my blood because apparently coming from a developed country, my blood was more pure.

Absolutely.

If you buy an apartment in Shanghai, the Communists will forcibly take your apartment and eat your brains. After all that's what Communists do.

Beware of the evil blood suckers/brain eaters... thank god we live in western societies. The Government can't forcibly take our land.

Absolutely.

If you buy an apartment in Shanghai, the Communists will forcibly take your apartment and eat your brains. After all that's what Communists do.

Beware of the evil blood suckers/brain eaters... thank god we live in western societies. The Government can't forcibly take our land.

They can bloody well try. But luckily, we have our conitution. And as Bruno represnting Dale errigan againt the Federal Govt showed, it,forcibly trying to buy our land, goes againt our constituion.. no specific part of it, but more like the whole vibe of the constitution....

They can bloody well try. But luckily, we have our conitution. And as Bruno represnting Dale errigan againt the Federal Govt showed, it,forcibly trying to buy our land, goes againt our constituion.. no specific part of it, but more like the whole vibe of the constitution....

So what about s 51(xxxi) of the Constutition giving Parliament the power of compulsory acquisition of property from anyone? How does forcibly buying land go against the Constitution which specifically allows it?

Didn't see the "on the way up" stuff

Oh, I bet you did
50513_239636329789_5355069_n.jpg

Rather makes your whine about negative reporting look silly, doesn't it?

Back