Irresponsible scaremongering

Not at 50c and hour ...

If people are prepared to work for that little - so be it. As a small business owner I don't get paid until I do work. But I don't complain about working for free...as long as you get paid on time as an employee and bargain properly I don't see the problem.

Buying makes no sense at the moment to me, and I cannot see an upside in the near future

Who knows the landlords reasoning ... it may be a furture ppor. As far as an investment? Don't think you'd find anyone with some investing nouse buying it.

Aaron ... you being the business owner is similar to the "investor" above. Work now for potential big future gains - otherwise why would you do it?

But I don't complain about working for free...as long as you get paid on time as an employee and bargain properly I don't see the problem.

No one works for free for long, unless wasting their own or parents' capital on goods or services that are oversupplied in a sector with low or unrestricted barriers to entry.

Those who rely most on bargaining to get work are often the most desperate and ignorant. It explains why the quality of service in Australia is generally considered amongst the lowest in the world. If we want to encourage smart highly qualified people to leave Australia, then let's have all jobs filled by those who bargain for the least pay.

No one works for free for long, unless wasting their own or parents' capital on goods or services that are oversupplied in a sector with low or unrestricted barriers to entry.

Those who rely most on bargaining to get work are often the most desperate and ignorant. It explains why the quality of service in Australia is generally considered amongst the lowest in the world. If we want to encourage smart highly qualified people to leave Australia, then let's have all jobs filled by those who bargain for the least pay.

Actually this entire system where you have to pay minimum circa $15 ph, + 9% super + casual loading + sick days + holiday pay/annual leave + payroll tax means that the 'smart, highly qualified people' leave Australia well before they can contribute to the economy by starting businesses.

Why would any business owner take on more staff when it is so difficult and expensive to fire workers and you have to keep paying more and more tax? Sure it's fine if you're an employee because you're protected. But as a country we should be keeping entrepreneurs, not employees. Employees are a dime-a-dozen whilst true businesspeople are as rare as hens' teeth.

Aaron ... you being the business owner is similar to the "investor" above. Work now for potential big future gains - otherwise why would you do it?

You're right lizzie - I don't expect to work for free forever! Of course I am different to your normal employee but employees still do have choices. As a country it's better to have more people working because it leads to less welfare dependance, a greater sense of responsibility and less complaining in general. If they have to get paid a bit less per hour with a few less 'protections', then I don't see the problem with it. Why should a person working in a cafe get the same per hour as a janitor? There's no logical reason why the government should deem them equal because they are clearly not.

You're right lizzie - I don't expect to work for free forever! Of course I am different to your normal employee but employees still do have choices. As a country it's better to have more people working because it leads to less welfare dependance, a greater sense of responsibility and less complaining in general. If they have to get paid a bit less per hour with a few less 'protections', then I don't see the problem with it. Why should a person working in a cafe get the same per hour as a janitor? There's no logical reason why the government should deem them equal because they are clearly not.

I'm confused...
Should the janitor, or the cafe worker be paid more?

There's a smarter medium between what is now and something better.
Super in my view should be terminated.

We could also terminate unemployment benefits. That way, a nation will more quickly find a balance on how many jobs is smart to export off shore. The class divide that results from exporting too many would more quickly compel equilibrium in how many unemployed young men is wise to have idol, hungry, and pl$$ed off.

As it is, job search allowance or whatever they call it now, is an inefficiency. It doesn't create jobs, and it normalizes many to not work.

The minimum wage could be more smartly implemented - tiered lower for under 18yo's.

These benefits are the result of an economy with more demand for work than supply.

As much as I am a libertarian, I accept we don't live in a perfect world. Free markets don't operate perfectly - take the Coles/Woolies duopoly.

Survival of the fittest has a serious dark side. History is replete with examples of what happens when people are not given fair chance to make a living.

Actually this entire system where you have to pay minimum circa $15 ph, + 9% super + casual loading + sick days + holiday pay/annual leave + payroll tax means that the 'smart, highly qualified people' leave Australia well before they can contribute to the economy by starting businesses.

Why would any business owner take on more staff when it is so difficult and expensive to fire workers and you have to keep paying more and more tax? Sure it's fine if you're an employee because you're protected. But as a country we should be keeping entrepreneurs, not employees. Employees are a dime-a-dozen whilst true businesspeople are as rare as hens' teeth.

getting back to your original thread Lizzie, I am looking to move to Adelaide some time soon, and was looking at buying or renting in a western suburbs house about 500 meters from the beach. One house I was looking at was advertising rent @ 410 PW or about $21500 per annum, On checking @ "on the house" website the landlord paid $670,000 approx. 2 months ago and has tidied up the property prior to advertising, by painting etc. By my maths, with stamp duty etc. they have paid over $700k. @ 7% PA interest rate for a loan, Insurance, maintenance and other expenses that would put their cost at around $50K+ PA or over $1000 per week. Why would anyone purchase this property at this price unless they are expecting a huge capital gain? Why would anyone purchase from them, in turn, such a loss making investment unless they too expect a huge capital gain? Why wouldn't I keep my money in the bank, let the interest pay for my rent, and let my landlord subsidize my accommodation to the tune of 150% per week? Buying makes no sense at the moment to me, and I cannot see an upside in the near future

People have lots of different reasons for doing things. It may be that the owner wants to move into that house during retirement.

Of course, it's entirely possible also that it simply was an investment decision that wasn't very savvy (although it's probably unfair to say that given we don't know the owners' circumstances).

Fundamentally, you need to figure out what you want from property - is it somewhere to live (do you want to own?), or is it also an investment vehicle. If you think you're getting a great deal by renting, don't be afraid to say so and take it! Plenty of others here do the same.

But as a country we should be keeping entrepreneurs, not employees. Employees are a dime-a-dozen whilst true businesspeople are as rare as hens' teeth.

Totally agree - as someone trying to get something off the ground. Gosh, I can wait for the day when I can say "it" is happening, rather than this perpetual prep stage ... by end of November!

Was discussing the above only the other week, with a very worldly guy who had done a lot of work for Austrade, along with teaching, over the last 30 years.

Asked him where he see's Australia positioned in the future, when the mining boom begins to peter out - ie - China=manufacturing, India=IT, UK=finance etc. His biggest fear was that, despite being a very innovative country, Australia would become a "service" country - tourism, education, medical etc - as there is nothing but disincentive for our entrepreneurs to develop their ideas or products here.

He didn't mean we manufacture here - he was very clear that we need to become a "brain" country, and use China/India as our brawn.

Totally agree - as someone trying to get something off the ground. Gosh, I can wait for the day when I can say "it" is happening, rather than this perpetual prep stage ... by end of November!

Was discussing the above only the other week, with a very worldly guy who had done a lot of work for Austrade, along with teaching, over the last 30 years.

Asked him where he see's Australia positioned in the future, when the mining boom begins to peter out - ie - China=manufacturing, India=IT, UK=finance etc. His biggest fear was that, despite being a very innovative country, Australia would become a "service" country - tourism, education, medical etc - as there is nothing but disincentive for our entrepreneurs to develop their ideas or products here.

He didn't mean we manufacture here - he was very clear that we need to become a "brain" country, and use China/India as our brawn.

Becoming a centre for education and medicine for the region would not be something to fear. The unfortunate reality is that as an intellectually lazy nation, satisfied with selling rocks to China and houses to each other, it is unlikely even a service capability can be easily achieved.

Redirecting resources and capital away from houses and holes and towards science, education, R&D and related infrastructure requires a level of political vision and courage not obviously apparent in the current crop of politicians or voters.

A repeat of 2008 perhaps??

My rents have all been going up lately too - and being locked in for 12 months +.

Likewise, I suspect the same that IRs are heading down and so holding costs are reduced.

It's just a great time to be buying IMHO. The media is a bit negative on property. This is conditioning vendors to accept low offers. Selling agents are not confident enough to advise vendors to hold out for more money.

How much better can it get? :D:D:p

Mate I am dealing with some of them ...not a very bright lot!

They knew how to make money when the going was good...now they don't seem to have a clue.

As for the tapping...couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of b(w??)ankers! Good riddance to a lot of them!

Having just met with a client who is a very senior individual for a large merchant bank he said things are looking grim. Apparently they are tapping a lot of their staff on the back (not patting - tapping) and giving them the heave ho. He is expecting some very tough times for the rest of this year. Not scare mongering but posting what a senior executive of a merchant bank is relaying back.

Mate I am dealing with some of them ...not a very bright lot!

They knew how to make money when the going was good...now they don't seem to have a clue.

As for the tapping...couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of b(w??)ankers! Good riddance to a lot of them!

Actually they do attract the brightest students straight from the law schools in Melbourne and Sydney...Since that is the place where a lowly analyst can earn $120k+ in their first year.

Hate to say this....but our kids don't really want put in the hard work.

Don't know about China....but India already has large research centres for IT, Medicine, Pharmaceuticals, and Engineering. Guess where next innovation is going to come from?

Unfortunately, Australia does not reward people who purse Phds in Maths, Sciences, Engineering....whereas countries like India, China, USA do.

We can not choose the environment we live in. Therefore an intelligent investor/trader accepts the enviornment as it is and focuses on how to profit from it.

This way the intelligent investor/trader does not waste mental energy on issues beyond his control and instead diverts that mental energy into the far more rewarding endeavour of creating profit.

We can not choose the environment we live in. Therefore an intelligent investor/trader accepts the enviornment as it is and focuses on how to profit from it.

This way the intelligent investor/trader does not waste mental energy on issues beyond his control and instead diverts that mental energy into the far more rewarding endeavour of creating profit.

Wish my damn share fund managers would do the same - idiots. Industry super so we can't roll it out ... lost around 30% (even the cash funds lost money) during the same period we could've made 10%+

Why so many first posters? They probably google Harry Dent fan club and come up with this thread

Nicely put. Adjusting one's sail(s) to take advantage of the changing winds ;)

Back