Is anyone still purchasing property? If so where?

Hi Francesca

Just be careful you don't go in to Spearwood too soon if the prices are already coming down, you wouldn't want to make another mistake in WA. Sure it wouldn't be safer to look at Queensland or Victoria at this time?

:) thanks Sparky for bringing up my OTP purchase thing :> sure that was a mistake but not all my purchases have been that way. I have done some smart things too you know :> will I have live it down now haha

The prices arent going down in Spearwood, they are being reduced because people are asking too much for them to start with. You can negotiate because the area is not HOT, I wouldnt suggest Spearwood as a declining market.

Spearwood is def an up and coming area and is surrounded by prime suburbs, most of the properties are on large lots of land. A new marina is being built just up the road.

My last purchase was in Melbourne and I am BIG fan of QLD.

Hey guys,
I'm looking at purchasing two properties in the next few months:
* one in Adelaide (most likely Christies Beach); and
* another near Brisbane (most likely Deception Bay area or other "cheap" bayside area)

Will be using a Buyer's Agent for both of these properties, as I'm based in Canberra.

Hi there
have been looking around the Penrith area but must admit I am very disappointed in some of the new buildings there.
Have just been looking at some townhouses (3bd, 2bth, 1 car) in Campbell Park (1 of 4) which were completed in November 2007, they were incomplete with lights unfinished, kitchen oven missing the knobs on the oven, hotwater service still to be completed.
I could understand if the property was in an area that was the subject of potential theft - but that doesn't seem to be the reason.
The grouting in the bathroom is so shoddy - they just don't appear to care!
Anyway the property has been marked down from $289 to currently $250K in two months.
So I still think Western Sydney has some settling to do
thanks

HI there
just concerning the water restrictions in Brisbane - we have been getting a lot of rain recently which is going into the dams - so hopefully the restrictions will be heading back down again.
I think the people should still think in terms of the water restrictions - which apparently Goulburn in NSW has done (you will recall they had severe problems which have been alleviated recently with rainfall) but the residents are still acting as if there are restrictions and the water usage has dropped off dramatically.
thanks

I think I heard on the news last night that after the recent rains the average dam levels have crept up and I think are now 25% but no lifting of the restrictions, which is good, otherwise people will start wasting water again and we really need to keep focused on saving every drop (within reason of course).

Big plus for buying in Redlands area. We are on level 2 as our supply comes from stradbroke island. Which has recently been taken off the proposed water grid. Whatever rain there is Straddie always gets it share which is a good thing for the Redlands Shire.:D

I think I heard on the news last night that after the recent rains the average dam levels have crept up and I think are now 25% but no lifting of the restrictions, which is good, otherwise people will start wasting water again and we really need to keep focused on saving every drop (within reason of course).

The Hinze Damn on the Gold Coast is now overflowing but we are still on level 6. It seems us 'wasteful' residents have used more then our quota over the past two weeks.

It's a shame the council didn't take into account the fact that the population doubles over the Christmas period.

Cheers,

Bazza

Rixter, nice property and views! Was property already tenanted? Does it attract corporate tenants?
I'm glad to hear Brissie is getting lots of rain in catchment area!
Interesting comments on Sydney. Glenwood looks like a nice suburb.

Rixter, nice property and views! Was property already tenanted? Does it attract corporate tenants?

Yes the property was already tenanted, not corporate.

From my DD I picked up that it was approximately $50-$60 per week under market rent, $270 and should have been around $320-$330. The leased still had another 6 months to run so my hands were tied in trying to increase the rent a the tenant level.

In making my offer I added a clause in the contract that the vendor pay me the sum of $1500 cash at settlement so as I could use it to offset the low rent for the remainder of the lease post settlement.

The way I arrived at this figure was $55/w x 26 weeks = $1430 rounded up to $1500 - and the vendor accepted.

Just goes to show there is always more than one way to skin a cat & increase your yield. I turned a low yield high capital growth property deal into a better yielding opportunity.

Just another example how one can manufacture a better opportunity out of now where with the right background information.

Hope this real life example has been of help.

I think the Brissy dams are as low as 18% still from the news I caught last week?? (hopefully the high rain falls will have helped out!)

I'm still looking in the Brissy area, potentially Redcliffe area again!

Do people think that the GC corridor (ie Beenleigh) has had its quota and no more growth will come? I think it is priced too high at mo so will steer clear.... Anyone else think different?

I was thinking Beenleigh prices were a bit high considering distance from Bris. If you can find a good property with nice views though I think it would be worth purchasing for long term. I heard a lot of businesses are moving to Beenleigh as rent is cheaper. Might have been API magazine.

Back