Is Australia becoming a Nanny State

Is Australia becoming a nanny state?

• Yes

Votes: 62 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Australia is one of the biggest Nanny State of them all... we also suffer from analysis paralysis, at every level of society and government.

this is so true - and incredibly frustrasting for a "just doer" like myself.

perfect example is that newcastle had an earthquake in 1989 ... the old surf club was damaged beyond repair ... it took until 2010 for them to knock it down and start building a replacement venue because of all the bickering and lobbying and indecision.

now - the rail line into newcastle cbd? apparently that debate has being going since 1920!

I hope not. She wasn't too shabby but the voice was a deal breaker. The-Nanny-tv-01.jpg

And , yep TV again , what is it with our media , they seem more nanny than the damn country and it's pollies these days and the scary part is , the average ding dong probably thinks they're being "intelligent"- if they listen to them !

I prefer to use - and flog to death - "penguins" :D

We have a regulation, standard, guideline or law for almost everything!

I think part of the reason why is due to the fact that we have to have ads on TV to alert us all to things that are clearly and obviously dangerous to everyone, yet many still continue to do them, despite the bombardment of warnings.....

In other words, we are a lazy, or stupid bunch who won't listen/learn, and then want to blame everyone else when things go bad for us.

For example; all those pathetically lame ads such as the quit smoking campaign, anything TAC, anything Worksafe, get out and exercise, stop eating cr@p, and so on.

The other sad part is the willingness of the law system to oblige the stupidity and carelessness and reward them with settlements. Hot coffee springs to mind.....

Now, if I climb up on a rickety chair at work to change a light bulb, there is risk of falling. I KNOW that.

So, why should I be able to sue someone else because I fall off, get time off from work and get paid while doing so?

I once saw a woman lose her footing and fall whilst walking across the sloping section of a driveway crossover at the gutter. I'm talking a very slight downhill grade to the curb from the footpath..there are millions of them all over the Country in everyone's driveway.

She starting venting at why "they" are allowed to make such things, how bad it is and so forth.

I was right next to her when she did it, and was about to help her as you do, but when I heard this ridiculous rant begin, I changed my mind, gave her a mouthful and told her it was her own fault and walked off. A bit harsh you might think, but christ; this woman has been around for 50 of more years. Now, if it's a two year old; plenty of sympathy there.

THAT'S what Gubbmints have to contend with...victims, and that's why we have these stupidity and "no responsibility" laws creeping into our world.

The Gubbmint, the Courts and lawyers should have the guts to say p*ss off to these sorts of incidents, and throw their @rses out of court.

The other sad part is the willingness of the law system to oblige the stupidity and carelessness and reward them with settlements. Hot coffee springs to mind.....

Now, if I climb up on a rickety chair at work to change a light bulb, there is risk of falling. I KNOW that.

So, why should I be able to sue someone else because I fall off, get time off from work and get paid while doing so?

I once saw a woman lose her footing and fall whilst walking across the sloping section of a driveway crossover at the gutter. I'm talking a very slight downhill grade to the curb from the footpath..there are millions of them all over the Country in everyone's driveway.

She starting venting at why "they" are allowed to make such things, how bad it is and so forth.

That's another thing that makes my bloody boil: The unutterable stupidity of the 'slip resistance' guidelines in this country. They are fundamentally opaque and downright misleading for the most part (HB197:1999 in particular), making it virtually impossible for suppliers or specifiers to conduct their business without the ever-present threat of being spuriously sued. :mad:

But , the laws coming in by the fruckload , the ads and constant bombardment of utter bs ,is bloody ridiculous.

Our governments are the first fools in the bloody world , to "expect" a perfect people- that doesn't happen, it can't happen , it never has anywhere in the world because people are human and who would want it anyway , it'd be like one of those futuristic movies where people have all lost being people , they're just numb puppets in all the same outfits, who the hell would want to live like that .
Aussies have already lost so much spark,fight and vibrancy that it's , well depressing quite frankly .
if you've got more than 1/2 a dozen in any one place some sh@t hits the fan, it's only natural. Yet they're hellbent of forcing their expectations onto all of us , whether WE ask for it or not.
We already have if anything lower rates of just about every thing compared to any other country. And, have you ever taken any notice of the stats they'll give as they force some new piece of garbage upon us or at the end of a news segment on some biggie they've just dramatized . They're usually talking 3%-5% , big bloody deal. No country in the world gets better than that in anything, it's absolute bs and inhuman to expect better . Yet they think they have epidemics and come out with two new ones a week .
Our governments must be about the most sheltered & naive bunch of fools on the planet.

Hmm , think I better sign off .

and spot on ... may the 47 of us that voted yes, should start some political party and throw the nobs out!

Ahh Lizzie , I wish I could . It's of this last decade or so I begin to see just why someone would enter politics in the first place , the few good ones, sincere, that do anyway. In the hope of doing some good,changes, help, vision.

I wish it was possible for me to do something right now, anything . But in what spare head space and time I do have right now , I've decided I'll at least be everywhere on the net and in emailing , trying to at least stir this damn pot up a bit .
Gonna support The Australian Party to as much as I can, and anyone else that cares enough to try and change things, stand up , before they end up chipping us all.

Cheers

Gonna support The Australian Party to as much as I can, and anyone else that cares enough to try and change things, stand up , before they end up chipping us all.

i'd suggest you ask katter who's funding his campaign, before you do.

make sure your interests are aligned with those funding his push, otherwise you may end up voting for "something different" that was never different at all - in fact, maybe worse, like Krudd vs Johnny.

I moved from Australia to France a few years back now and can I say that its totally descending and fast.

Recent Victorian government moves to ban swearing in public places, plain packages on cigarrettes, ever dwindling pub hours...its terrible and only going to get worse for property investors/developers and the public alike. I'm a bit worried by this Commonwealth government too.

I moved from Australia to France a few years back now and can I say that its totally descending and fast.

Recent Victorian government moves to ban swearing in public places, plain packages on cigarrettes, ever dwindling pub hours...its terrible and only going to get worse for property investors/developers and the public alike. I'm a bit worried by this Commonwealth government too.

Really, Marcel? No offence: I love Mersault. However, isn't France going down the crapper with the rest of Europe? I mean, Victoria is hardly sex on fire I know, but she's hardly draped in papier hygiénique like your déesse de la liberté.

Back