Is Australia becoming a nanny state?

• Yes

Votes: 62 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A politician courageous enough to speak against the nanny state

There is hope for the fight against the nanny state. A US politician who is a strong defender of civil liberties, Ron Paul, is gaining ground in the polls. He is in the running for the republicans nomination for the 2012 presidential election. An interesting politician who is not afraid to tell the truth rather than saying what people want to hear.

This video gives you an overview of his views on the rise of big govt and the nanny state.

It’s part of an interview on the various aspects of his approach, broken into several youtube videos. This one on the failings of big govt is interesting.

For once, a politician who was something interesting to say, and the courage to say it. The way he pulls apart concepts people have come assume as 'normal' like big govt and the state subsidies that we take for granted is interesting.

We need somebody like Ron Paul in Australian politics.

Not one to be drawn to extreme or exaggerated views. But there are two very recent examples of changes to laws which in my opinion border on an overly paternilstic approach to public policy making.

These being Foul language and Betting laws

So are we becoming a nanny state?

Buzz, I am not so sure we are. I think the standard of behavior and blame culture has become so ridiculous that the government has resorted to applying consequences to people that parents, teachers, police and the courts have been unable to do.

In regards to the gambling one, people just need to start taking responsibility for their own actions, simple as that.

We need somebody like Ron Paul in Australian politics.

We saw him in action all the time on the teev when we were living there. He's fantastic, and I'd love to see him be President, but.....

Actually, he will do more good for the Country by not being the President.

That little snippet about the trillion per year spent on the Afghanistan war was spot on; I saw the embarrassing amount of money they were spending on the space race and on the war, and thought "my god; look at how much money they are wasting on these two useless endeavours, meanwhile their people can't afford to go to the doctor, and New Orleans is still a disaster zone".

I particularly like the line by Bill Maher in his snippet of an interview with RP..."If America was a smarter Country, wouldn't you be leading in the Polls?"

I particularly like the line by Bill Maher in his snippet of an interview with RP..."If America was a smarter Country, wouldn't you be leading in the Polls?"

I reckon that goes for Turnbull here too. I have often thought that. If only people with an IQ greater than 120 were allowed to vote Turnull would win in spades. Indeed I think it would make for a great poll! Theres an idea for the pollsters, get 1000 people together make them sit an IQ test and then ask them who their preffered prime minister is...

When Swan had that dodgie with the local car dealer and turnbull prosecuted him (OK so it was only a little dodgy in the end not outright offensive) the Australian people ended up hanging Turnbull out to dry because they could not understand the concepts he was talking about.

Swan could just say the police will take action if it is necessary... Australians seem to think if you don't go to prison you are a person of high moral standing. Just because the police had nothing to go on does not mean these people are fit to run our country.

when Turnbull became Turncoat i lost ALL respect for him.

anyone with half a brain can see a carbon tax wont fix any problem, if there is one at all.

therefore, he's a f**ng idiot IMPO.

Buzz, I am not so sure we are. I think the standard of behavior and blame culture has become so ridiculous that the government has resorted to applying consequences to people that parents, teachers, police and the courts have been unable to do.

In regards to the gambling one, people just need to start taking responsibility for their own actions, simple as that.

SO the fact the government stepped in and put in rules.... does that make it a nanny6 state

Whether the rules seem "necessary or not"..... are they nanny state rules ?

I think the 2 pooints are slightly separate

Well the poll has closed with a resounding vote in favour of the proposition that Australia is becoming a nanny state.

Personally, there is no country in the world I'd rather be living in. So, if we are a nanny state, then I'm all for the idea! :)

As for Malcolm Turnbull, he is much more focussed on policy than politics. That unfortunately means he wasn't well suited to his former position, which by definition is a political one.

Best he sit in the background and advise the political leader on policy matters and let the leader make the call on what are the best politics. Or at least learn how to be a politician.

Of course, his successor has no care for policy at all and therefore runs the considerable risk in focussing entirely on short term politics that people will tire of the negativity and lack of ideas behind the "just say no" facade. Or stupid ideas like plebiscites which won't change anything... :confused:

Good political leadership in the long run requires the right balance between political nous and policy capability. John Howard had this combination - ideally, these days it would be a mixture of Abbott and Turnbull for the Libs... unless one or the other can adequately work on their deficiencies. For Labor I would have to go back to Keating for a decent example (policy) or Hawke for a better one (politics).

SO the fact the government stepped in and put in rules.... does that make it a nanny6 state

Whether the rules seem "necessary or not"..... are they nanny state rules ?

I think the 2 pooints are slightly separate

Jaycee I think you are correct, when I re-read it, it sounds a lot like I am contradicting myself! I should have wrote "Yes, I think we are because...."

No point changing it now, but well picked up. :D

Last edited:
Back