Is Australia becoming a nanny state?

• Yes

Votes: 62 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah perhaps you're right Belbo..

I mean, I'm pretty sure in Paris they don't even have council rules banning people form sitting outside cafes with their pet dog...

I thought comapred to the kind of bashing we've Aust on the subject, Marcel was one of the more restrained. Certaily didn't offend my Aussie pride

The French have a good sense of liberal spirit. Especially those from paris.

The government mandates that people must pick up their dog turds people unanimously stop picking them up.

Make a law and people do the opposite if they think the law is not necessary.

Most Australians suck it up. I am encouraged that here most are pushing back. I was wondering when the people of Australia would push back on regulation? Would it be when there are so many cameras that you cannot even take a **** next to your car in the middle of nowhere without being arrested? When you cannot go to certain public beaches because they are unsafe?

This is meant to be a liberal country but we are so far from that now and with advertising we seem happy with it.

The French government is no doubt as stupid as ours but it is the Australian people who are different, we do not push back like they do.

This is meant to be a liberal country but we are so far from that now and with advertising we seem happy with it.

Maybe the problem is we are too liberal. so much so no one knows what is appropriate behavior anymore. So everyone turns a blind eye until someone gets their eye poked out with a stick, then demand the authorities do something.

Nanny-ness is the reflex response to a community heavy with apathy and impotency.

Maybe the problem is we are too liberal. so much so no one knows what is appropriate behavior anymore. So everyone turns a blind eye until someone gets their eye poked out with a stick, then demand the authorities do something.

Nanny-ness is the reflex response to a community heavy with apathy and impotency.

Hi Stefan,

Can you provide some examples of how we are maybe "too liberal" today ?

Spot on Tom.
Governments here say jump and all Aussies have to say back is how high would you like that please sir ?
We're pathetic .Zero fire left in Australians these days, no attitude , the baby boomer's put us to shame and we're all letting this happen , like puppies and their masters , it's becoming sickening to watch.

As far as liberal /labor goes , there's no difference.
Howard's idea seemed to be to have all working so hard trying to pay for everything, we didn't have time to play up any more , and damn near brought in Hitler-ism it's just that Aussies were too dumb to see it .
Labor's just as bad , I think they'd love to nationalize the whole damn country and chip the lot of us.

But right now it is liberal in Vic doing the real damage with an ex LIb as a Mayor banning everything from busking to sidewalk food stands , to pub hours and tripling street patrols , the swearing fine. His gonna really do some damage this granny frump if he gets to stay too long . His even talking push bike licenses but then a Lib prem that seems to love it all to and has some pretty scary plans also in the pipework . They're both responsible for Vics new found fame and both have only been in a few mths , so how do you win they still have yrs left even of their first terms.

The French have a good sense of liberal spirit. Especially those from paris.

The government mandates that people must pick up their dog turds people unanimously stop picking them up.

Make a law and people do the opposite if they think the law is not necessary.

Most Australians suck it up. I am encouraged that here most are pushing back. I was wondering when the people of Australia would push back on regulation? Would it be when there are so many cameras that you cannot even take a **** next to your car in the middle of nowhere without being arrested? When you cannot go to certain public beaches because they are unsafe?

The French government is no doubt as stupid as ours but it is the Australian people who are different, we do not push back like they do.

As far as liberal /labor goes , there's no difference.

The irony is that the Liberal party would consider themselves liberal at all.

The liberal minded individuals in the party like Malcolm Turnbull are a minority. Malcolm Fraser was right they have completely lost their way from their foundation beliefs. It is like the party collectively grew old and took their policies with them.

I suspect NSW Liberal party could be OK but it is early days.

On your comment about the baby boomers, I agree too. I guess we have forums like this to vent our frustration which keeps us from pursuing more pragmatic solutions to our governments imposition of stupid laws and regulations.

Are u freakin' serious? they were actually considering this?!?! I hate people (and governments) who think they can tell people how to live and how to act(obviously certain boundaries to this, telling someone they cant go kill another person is reasonable)

the original ideal of liberal society is that people should have a rule of law to protect them the inidividual from society at large. Both themselves and their property.

What they do to amuse themselves should be no concern to the rule of law beyond this.

If we start to project the governments moral values on society as a whole this is moving from the traditional liberal and secular state toward authoritarian rule. I don't think we are there yet indeed quite a way from it, but we are moving across the spectrum to more authority over time which is disturbing.

My question / concern is just how far will Australia move along this spectrum before people say, wtf, is that law really necessary? Will it be when the police can randomly inspect your home like they can randomly pull you up to be breath tested to inspect for some regulation about what you can keep in your pantry in the way oif health food? When will this end? I can see us heading in a direction I don't like and the question should always be is a law really necessary. Making new laws like they are hot breakfasts is not a terrible way to govern.

there were police with sniffer dogs checking people as they left a domestic flight the other day when I landed in Perth. They took up half the exit area and hence held everyone up due to the lower flow of people leaving the plane. At first this was meant to be deployed at nightclubs I thought, random sniffer dog antics. This got the law in and now it seems they can sniff you wherever you go? I don't even use illicit drugs but still I have a major issue with such policing methods, as who knows what will be banned in the future the way our government is going.

We used to watch movies of communist USSR with the big German Shephards pulling police around checking peoples ID's etc, oh wouldn't that be confronting... It would seem now this is becoming standard policing in Australia.

Are u freakin' serious? they were actually considering this?!?! I hate people (and governments) who think they can tell people how to live and how to act(obviously certain boundaries to this, telling someone they cant go kill another person is reasonable)

Yep and they still are Nikki , as a matter a fact I'd say given 6 mths and they'll have it in, beautiful !

I'm pretty sure the big plan is to have the first perfect country in the world !

The irony is that the Liberal party would consider themselves liberal at all.

The liberal minded individuals in the party like Malcolm Turnbull are a minority. Malcolm Fraser was right they have completely lost their way from their foundation beliefs. It is like the party collectively grew old and took their policies with them.

I suspect NSW Liberal party could be OK but it is early days.

On your comment about the baby boomers, I agree too. I guess we have forums like this to vent our frustration which keeps us from pursuing more pragmatic solutions to our governments imposition of stupid laws and regulations.

Unfortunately it's the only means I have right now with the time and head space left as I was saying earlier , or I'd be grand standing all over the country I think.
But the net does reach the masses so I believe and I'm hopeful that even in forums , it may atleast spark some fire back into the country as opinions and word spread.
And don't forget , all our moronic leaders do aslo have us all tapped in these places too , never know atleast it's a start and they'll be hearing about any new sites and sentiment.

Are they using sniffer dogs in clubs over there now , God almighty is that over kill or what ? Get a club , there's gonna be a few drugs , big deal . they'll catch a few they'll miss a few , so what.
As for airports I hate to think , haven't flown since a free mystery flight I scored - probly outlawed now too- TOO FREE !!!!!!!!
I dread the thought of flying now though especially OS , they exray us all now don't they among other assorted fun stuff, bloody hell !
But naah it's not about drugs, smoking, violence or whatever the excuse is on the day, it's about freedom.

Yeah I reckon Fraser and Huston are both right , and in Hawks description of Abbot because he is as mad as a cut snake. But as far as his Liberalism goes , well he is just a baby Howard and worships the man so I'd say forget that too .
yeah I like the NSW guy too , still I've liked em before so I'll see what eventuates first. Seems to have some good ideas so far though.

Last edited:
Hi Stefan,

Can you provide some examples of how we are maybe "too liberal" today ?

No worries. How about a mate of mine who lives in Sefton Rd, Clayfield, where last Sat night over 60 teenagers chanting Nudgee College songs rampaged their way down the street destroying private and public property on the way to a party at a neighbor's house. Repercussions? Some neighbors called the police who copped a lot of abuse and spitting on, but arrested no one. Neighbors were left to fork out for damage.

cbd streets not safe to walk on after 9pm.

violence and swearing on public transport in ear shot of mothers with children.

teens not getting up to allow the elderly to sit on trains and buses.

binge drinking rates and associated violence, especially involving females and minors.

younger generations having a poor work ethic. ask someone who employs them what percentage are reliable.

parents taking too liberal an attitude towards their children's diet and sedentary lifestyle, resulting in an obesity epidemic amongst children.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. I looks Victoria is the worst nanny state of all. I'm glad I don't live there.

Some people from Victoria have told me that it is no longer the politicians running the place, but the bureaucrats. That's why there hasn't been much change with the liberal govt. The bureaucrats use the same scaremongering tactics to introduce new laws and the politicians say ... why not, it looks like I'm doing something. :eek:

When will this madness ends? When will removing idiotic laws be seen as a sign of progress instead of adding new ones?

Are Australians that dumb not to see where we are heading? :confused:

After reading a blog that Aaron linked to in the heritage mad thread I found this blog quite relevant to the nanny state thoughts here;

http://www.6000times.com/2011/02/perth-so-you-want-to-open-bar-lol.html

This follows the progress of a number of liquor licenses being denied around Perth or the restrictions on them.

I know anti social behavior is an issue in Perth but really is this not addressed by old fashioned policing rather than laws and regulations and limitations on licensed venues?

It is a wonder the human race has made it for 1000 years in the presence of alcohol and without such restrictive laws? Anyone would think we are so hopeless that if we are given a piece of rope we will all go and hang ourselves with it.

After reading a blog that Aaron linked to in the heritage mad thread I found this blog quite relevant to the nanny state thoughts here;

http://www.6000times.com/2011/02/perth-so-you-want-to-open-bar-lol.html

This follows the progress of a number of liquor licenses being denied around Perth or the restrictions on them.

I know anti social behavior is an issue in Perth but really is this not addressed by old fashioned policing rather than laws and regulations and limitations on licensed venues?

It is a wonder the human race has made it for 1000 years in the presence of alcohol and without such restrictive laws? Anyone would think we are so hopeless that if we are given a piece of rope we will all go and hang ourselves with it.[/QUOTE]

Tom this is exactly what I've been feeling & wondering lately

Are we that stupid that we have to have regulations to save us from ourselves for everything ? But who writes these regulations ? Our self admitted hopeless selves !

dont get me started on Karl the Krusader.

his own kids are fkn druggies and he has the gall to tell the people of Perth that drugs are bad, kids m'kay?

what was that about looking after your own affairs first.

Krusader Karl is turning the clocks on Perth back 20 years.

on any given weeknight, there are four - that's FOUR or 4 - patrol cars on active duty between Rockingham and Yanchep, and two - yep TWO or 2 - between Armadale and Midland.

apparently the shift work and overtime hurts the budget a bit.

Krusader Karl doesn't like to use patrols - he prefers battle horses and attack dogs tipping out tinnies at the skyworks.

on any given weeknight, there are four - that's FOUR or 4 - patrol cars on active duty between Rockingham and Yanchep, and two - yep TWO or 2 - between Armadale and Midland.

apparently the shift work and overtime hurts the budget a bit.

Krusader Karl doesn't like to use patrols - he prefers battle horses and attack dogs tipping out tinnies at the skyworks.

Wow

Luckliy we only have 5 people in Perth

and 3 of them are pissed & fighting themselves/taxi drivers in Northbridge

Back