Is it worth installing a dishwasher?

Hi,

Just about to start planning the kitchen for a IP in Ashfield, NSW. (3 bed unit) which I hope might rent for about 480 -540pw. I had planned on putting in the dishwasher, bu whilst pulling out the old kitchen i can see the waste from the sink runs diagonally across and through a wall to a waste pipe in the laundry next door. (about 1.3m run) And it does this through the middle of the cupboard. This therefore goes across where i had planned for the dishwasher. Now i am sure I could redirect the waste, but i might have to chase out the wall at the back to fit it in so the dishwasher can go back far enough.

So with the extra work - do you think it's worth it? It's not like it's an Eastern suburbs property where it might be expected, so the kitchen will be a basic Ikea jobby, but then it does have 3 beds?

any thoughts?

thanks

.... an IP in Ashfield, NSW. (3 bed unit) which I hope might rent for about 480 -540pw.

A 3brm unit in Ashfield will not rent for $540pw with or without a dishwasher in an Ikea kitchen IMO. You might get $500pw if it was top floor or something really special.

Dishwashers only cost $500 these days for a SS one. No biggie one way or the other.

thanks - appreciate I was aiming high with the rent.:)

My main concern with the dishwasher is the work to get the sink waste to run behind the dishwasher. (the $500 for the dishwasher i can live with). As we are doing all the reno's ourselves the more jobs i have the longer it takes.
so just trying to work out if there is really any benefit to adding the dishwasher, or does anyone know of a method to get the sink waste to run behind it? (to my knowledge sink waste is normally 40mm, which i don't think would fit behind the dishwasher without chasing out the wall). Are there any other plumbing solutions?

what about one of those drawer type dishwasher they advertise ont he telly? Would that solve your pipe problem?

Suspect that chasing out a 40-50mm pipe in the wall is asking for problems as you are going to remove a substantial amount of the brickwork.

An alternative could be a "Saniflo - macerator and grey waste water pump"
which would allow you to remove the large pipe running through the cupboards altogether. I think they are over $300 so a bit of an expense.

An additional advantage, depending on your set up, is that you could install a 1 1/2 sink or even a double sink as generally with the extended run you loose height and can't fit the dual plumbing required far a double sink. We just had this issue and we simply installed a single sink with double drainer as the plumbing for a double would have ended up lower than the waste pipe allowed.

To give the kitchen a wow factor you might want to consider using stone bench tops. If its a simple straight design then you can get pre done slabs that are relatively easy to fit and give an instant impact. We fit these to our kitchens at a cost of $500 per but we fit them ourselves.

Paradise Kitchens out at Wetheril park were selling the slabs for about $250 - 2600 x 600mm

Cheers

I wouldn't risk...

...not having a dishwasher if you are aiming high for the rent. If there are two similar properties available, the one with the dishwasher will be more appealing to almost all tenants.

Dishwasher is a must, Especially in a 3br where a family is likely to rent it.

Had a similar problem in a unit we owned, I just move the pipe in as far as possible, did a little bit of chasing of the brick work.

I then bought the slimest dishwasher i could find at 2nds world. It stuck out a fraction more than normal but it beats doing the dishes for a family of four.

Maybe you could down size the pipe in that section a fraction?

thanks all - some excellent suggestions to consider.
Once I have the old kitchen fully out at the w/e (makes too much noise in the evening), I'll be able to better assess the space.

but i think somehow i will try to fit a dishwasher....

Don't want to hijack this thread but are you going to put the dishwasher in or just make provisions for it. I am in the process of building my first ip and have made provisions for the dishwasher but wasn't going to put one in.(more to go wrong I thought)

Back