Is this price reasonable?

I have wanted to add a shower above this spabath since last year; but did not want to disturb tenants in the house. The opportunity is coming during the Dec/Jan period and I have received one quote from a bathroom renovator/contractor so far, for:
  • Installing the shower - open up 2 walls and take water to the end of the bath
    [*]Put the wall back - material included
    [*]Water proofing-material included
    [*]Tiling - materials EXcluded (I have to buy the tiles)
    [*]Install shower head - PC items Exckuded (I have to buy them)

Total cost quoted $3600 by a bathroom renovator who can organise his own plumber and tiler.

Then I have to get the shower screen people to put the shower screen on - my cost.

The guy did not provide itemised cost; so its hard to judge wehther its reasonable or not - but I assume the waterproofing will cost a bit. Comments needed please.

Its in Newcastle.

I also contacted few plumbers and tilers separately, they promised to give quote, but none arrived in my inbox so far; so I can't really compare the above with anything.

Ta
MKP

Bathroom.jpg

Is there not a shower at all?

The price may be reasonable but nearly $4,500 (approx) is a lot to spend to add a shower. Will it increase the rent? The value?

The waterproofing isn't expensive. Just brushing waterproofing "stuff" on the wall.

Just a warning- when/if you put in a shower screen ask where they will fit it. I saw one similar to yours. They fitted it to the edge of the tiles (not on the bath edge) and when you had a shower the water went on top of the tiles then ran along onto the floor. I hope that makes sense.

I have wanted to add a shower above this spabath since last year; but did not want to disturb tenants in the house. The opportunity is coming during the Dec/Jan period and I have received one quote from a bathroom renovator/contractor so far, for:
  • Installing the shower - open up 2 walls and take water to the end of the bath
    [*]Put the wall back - material included
    [*]Water proofing-material included
    [*]Tiling - materials EXcluded (I have to buy the tiles)
    [*]Install shower head - PC items Exckuded (I have to buy them)

Total cost quoted $3600 by a bathroom renovator who can organise his own plumber and tiler.

Then I have to get the shower screen people to put the shower screen on - my cost.

The guy did not provide itemised cost; so its hard to judge wehther its reasonable or not - but I assume the waterproofing will cost a bit. Comments needed please.

Its in Newcastle.

I also contacted few plumbers and tilers separately, they promised to give quote, but none arrived in my inbox so far; so I can't really compare the above with anything.

Ta
MKP

View attachment 11452

To DIY that job (shower screen, taps, tiles, sheeting, run the new pipes, etc... )would cost about $400 and be 1 days work.

So maybe use that as a jumping off point for what you would consider reasonable.

Unfortunately you are very unlikely to find anyone that will do the job for what is actually a reasonable amount.

I thought it was a bit expensive but was not sure about the cost of water proofing. Given your comments on waterproofing + Tim60's estimate on DYI basis, I don't think I will go ahead.

Given the skills required - I don't mind paying 2-4 times DYI cost for labour-but 7-8 times is bit much.

The ~$4500 spent on this project will not add any value or rent; it will just make it more convenient for the tenants. So its not worthwhile pursuing.

Thanks
MKP

Is there not a shower at all?

The price may be reasonable but nearly $4,500 (approx) is a lot to spend to add a shower. Will it increase the rent? The value?

The waterproofing isn't expensive. Just brushing waterproofing "stuff" on the wall.

Just a warning- when/if you put in a shower screen ask where they will fit it. I saw one similar to yours. They fitted it to the edge of the tiles (not on the bath edge) and when you had a shower the water went on top of the tiles then ran along onto the floor. I hope that makes sense.

Hi Tim86 (sorry previously I referred to you as Tim60 :)

Thanks-I now confirmed that the price estimet is NOT reasonable for my situation (no gain form the bank account pain).

MPK

To DIY that job (shower screen, taps, tiles, sheeting, run the new pipes, etc... )would cost about $400 and be 1 days work.

So maybe use that as a jumping off point for what you would consider reasonable.

Unfortunately you are very unlikely to find anyone that will do the job for what is actually a reasonable amount.

I had a plumber install a hand held shower above bath with a two way tap, then had shower screen installed. Cost was very low. Works fine, means I get more as a two shower house.

It has been installed 4 years without any problem

Chris

I had a plumber install a hand held shower above bath with a two way tap, then had shower screen installed. Cost was very low. Works fine, means I get more as a two shower house.

Chris

That's how Id be doing it.

Chris

Chris and Kamak,
That's a good option; then the additional costs will mainly be on waterproofing and tiling - which is easier to estimate/judge.

Thanks
MKP

MKP

There was no additional waterproofing or tiling required.

Hand held shower is on long chrome lead that stretches up to hook.

Plumber puts in two way tap so when tenant requires bath the tap still works for a bath.

It all took very little time. I had a side shower screen attached that folded out, to give extra space if they wanted to have a bath

Chris

MKP

There was no additional waterproofing or tiling required.

Hand held shower is on long chrome lead that stretches up to hook.

Plumber puts in two way tap so when tenant requires bath the tap still works for a bath.

It all took very little time. I had a side shower screen attached that folded out, to give extra space if they wanted to have a bath

Chris

Its getting better; yes, I have used that type of shower in hotel's bathroom; and will seriously consider it + educate tenants not to splas on walls:).
Thanks.

Back