Is this tiling/plumbing quote reasonable?

Bit confused, got a couple of quotes for some tiling I need done around here and am trying to work out if they are reasonable or not. Have to say I never realised tiling is so expensive, might be a trade worth learning!

The dimensions are approximately 2.5meters in the kitchen, and bathroom dimensions of 2050mm x 1300mm for the floor of the bathroom and shower area 720mm x 1250mm x 1700mm high. One quote was for $2530, including all materials, the other quote from the plumber came in at $3850 HOWEVER this also includes the removal and installation of a new toilet, vanity basin and sink in the kitchen, installation of taps etc. however this does not include any materials.

I stupidly didn't get the quote itemised so as to separate the plumbing costs from the tiling. So that's a $1300 difference. Apparently there is a little bit more involved than a usual job as the last tiling job they did they just tiled over the top of the previous tiles and so these have to be removed etc. and the current bathroom floor tiles need to be ground down so not necessarily a straight forward job.

You guys think this sounds reasonable? :mad::confused::eek:

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We have a plumbing quote sitting here for $1700 ... pretty much comes to "several hours work at $140 an hour". Expensive lil suckers, plumbers. He quoted our roof at $13,000 too ... he can do the pipes but he can stay away from the roof. Our plumbing quote didn't include any trenching though, we're waiting to hear from him about that.

very, very cheap actually, i think some people think they can still get a bag of lollies for 20 cent, do the sums if your not quite, happy and do an estimate of the days worked and the materials used, phone, car, insurance, the effort required, add these into the equasion, then remove the gst, and pay some tax, and while your at it, reduce the working life of the trades, due to the physical nature of the job,
it is not quite, you get paid, say $140, per hour and i only get $75 thing moving paper, around an office,

I've heard people use this to justify footballers income but never tradies. I know plenty of fit, wiry old tradies in their 60s.

Cheers
Pulse
Depends on the trade. I work in Scaffolding and the ol' fellows definately talk about it taking it's toll over the years. They keep pushing on because they know nothing else.

very, very cheap actually, i think some people think they can still get a bag of lollies for 20 cent, do the sums if your not quite, happy and do an estimate of the days worked and the materials used, phone, car, insurance, the effort required, add these into the equasion, then remove the gst, and pay some tax, and while your at it, reduce the working life of the trades, due to the physical nature of the job,
it is not quite, you get paid, say $140, per hour and i only get $75 thing moving paper, around an office,
I'm not sure you could ever say it was CHEAP. It's a bit hard to estimate how long it will take not having done the work myself, but I figured even if it took a week (and I can't see how it would take a week to retile a shower base and walls, small floor area and 2.5 metres of other kitchen tiling) then this is 4k a week just in labor. I don't think this guy is a rip off merchant, he's been pretty good in the past, I just want to make sure this is "the going rate', because as I said, 4k a week in wages seem on the high side to me.

$1700 for a day's work seems a bit high to me too, but when you can't choose who does your work, you take whatever price you get quoted.

The last lot of plumbing I got done was $3000 for 2 days work, but included some materials too - a hot water service and the pipes to fit it.

Plumbers are expensive, mmmkay.

I am looking at tiling an entire unit in Sydney which is 70m2.

Currently the whole unit has old carpet in the living areas and bedrooms. It has kitchen and bathroom tiled.

I am looking to buy ceramic tiles for $11 per m2 to tile the entire unit.

I was quoted $500 to remove the existing tiles from Kitchen and bathroom and disposal cost included. I was also quoted extra $300 for removing the carpets from living areas and bedrooms and disposal cost included.

I was quoted $32 per m2 for tiling the entire unit. This includes the cement and glue. And the quote is from the same guy doing the entire job.

So all together, the cost of removal of old flooring and tiling the entire unit (including cememnt and glue) is ~ $3000. And the timeframe given is 5 days.

I think that is pretty good price.

I guess taking the $140 an hour price into consideration 8x $140=$1120 and there would be a day of stuffing around with various things. plumbing wise That brings the quote pretty close to the original one, minus the tiles.. Might add this particular plumber managed to get my entire floating floor for free, so I can't complain too much.

Eternit, seems like you are on a pretty good wicket there.

Might add that I got a quote from Bathroomwerx, it came in a 2k (not including the bathroom floor). Seening as though you would only choose this option to save you money in re-tiling, the quotes do seem to be relatively in line with each other. I guess I could save a few $$ if I shopped around for a cheaper tiler, but the plumber is going to do the whole job= less headaches for me to organise.

tiling kitchen splashback

150 Tiles 100x100 $25 cheap on sale last of the lot never to have again, about 66% off.
Groute $20
Adhesive $30
Plastic spacers 3mm $10
Mortar $6.95 (double brick, had to mortar over plumbing work)

New kitchen taps $99
Plumber to move tapes $358 ($220 labour $105 parts + GST ) but estimate from plumber was $120 max $150. 2 hours 45 minutes.

Regards
Graeme

If only I knew how to do it myself :( Might get me another quote.
Once they have finished there will be left over tiles, adhesive, groute. Have a shot, just do a bit of tiling on some old masonite or gyprock or bit of timber / concrete sheeting. Tilers used to use match sticks to space tiles until they started making those little plastic spacers.

So whack a bit of adhesive on a board with a notched trowel, stick some tiles on and use spacers to evenly space them. Wait for it to dry, mix up some groute, not too runny, wipe excess groute off, done. For real you need to work out where to start, for a wall start in middle bottom and work out so you cut tiles at both ends of the wall. For a splash back I start at the end of bench and work towards the corner.

Cheers
Graeme

ok you all have opinions on some things and reasons why so, tiling going price is about say $37 sqm to say $47, sqm, that is in act that is, cheaper else where im sure, but it usually works like this , lets say you want a 4x4 mtr room done = 16 meters if the tiles are square set placed on concrete the going rate i expect to be $37 mtr if the tiles were diamond pattern the rate would be $47mtr the first being $592, and the second being,$752 due to the dificulty of the diamond paterns .
if the floor was on say chip board or pine floor boards then a 6mm fc sheet underlay is cut and nailed , at intervels of 150 mm centers, and 100mm at the edges, then 6 sheets of underlay and time to fit and nail including labor /time. could add an extra,say $700 to the price, if the floors are new and clean, also an additive must be purchased and added to the grout to allow it to resist cracking. this is for realy good surfaces.
if the surfaces are at different heights and floor leveler has to be used at $100 per bag, including time, add another $300 ish,it is not a nice product to work with.
so a 16 sqr room now has a varience from $592, as you supply the tiles and pay for the glue to about, $2152 and you pay for tiles, big difference ??
now if the floor already had tiles on it, say a concrete slab then allow $1100 to remove them, and chisel them back up, or the same to lift the old fc sheets,.
In a square room of 16 m2 their is usually one door way and four corners , very few difficult cuts and an easy job?
In a bathroom usually all tiles get chisled off the wall and floor, the floor is to be re-set with a fall and new floor waste added, then wetsealed this takes two visits and the walls up to 1.8m in height?
new sheets on walls and then if, as i prefer diamond patern the floor , and square set the walls it could take about 3<4 days tiling and a day to groute,this does not include any feature cuts/tiles, and then fitting all of the Pc items back , well their , your times gone, and the sqm price changes dramatically.!
covering other costs get added into the job and then GST thanks to our late gov , and remove the tax then this becomes a tough way to earn income when you don't know what work your getting next month, and if you were flat chat you would throw another 2 k on it to make it worth while attending the job anyways.
i hope this helps some to understand their tiling quotes in the future , cheers.

Tiling itself is easy, its all those cuts that are a bit difficult,
I remember the first job i did and how happy i was , eight years later ive seen it and OMG sorry new owners! you will get to see the gaps, and cracks over time , and you,ll only improve the next job and the next?

i grouted it on fri, never done that either. looks much better with grout in it.
i know its not perfect but i am happy with the job for my fist attempt.
it could be way worse lol

I was grouting the kitchen splash back on Friday, good day to do a bit of work. Well done for giving it a go, another 2 and you'll be an expert.

Cheers
Graeme:D

Back