Is unit in Hornsby a good IP buy?

Ok, I will check it out in the next few weeks. May I ask how did you suddenly come across this property on real estate.com.au?

I ask this as I think I should keep searching for inner city properties with rental potential as well as commercial potential.

Rather tragically all I did was search on Sydney and surrounds looking at houses only from $500k-1m

There wasn't an awful lot and that leaped out at me at being very diverse having mixed use zoning.

I knew that CG was important to you so I figured beach or city would be safest bet.

Haven't read all the post...but to be honest; i can't see anything wrong with your original post to buy the Hornsby unit.

Yes there are plenty of flashy strategies out there- granny, renovations, subdivisions etc....but given this is your 1st purchase, and you seem to know the Hornsby area well and Hornsby is a growing area in terms of CG i really can't see any issues.

if your considering on buying a house and developing etc...One important thing about Hornsby council as i have built and developed with this annoying council in the past; :mad:

1. They have the 60% ratio rule...meaning only 40% of the land can be used in your sq meters cal.
2. The area is known to have LOTS AND LOTS Of rocks and unique heritage listed trees, so even if you buy a 900 sq meters land it might be "unsalable"
3. Section 94 is expensive
4. Neighbors may complain, if you over develop.

----

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-hornsby-112695599

Basic details

* Advertised for 28 days, given it's the x mas break, it probably only been through the market for one week, hard to gauge what price the vendors are happy with at this point

*Owner bought for $392 in 2008
* Hornsby district has experience roughly 5% CG per year on average. Breaking it down to units and houses- Units in this area has actually out preformed houses due to it's low entry prices for a Sydney 2 bedroom unit.

* Hornsby is great for it's close proximity to some of the best schools around Sydney - Hornsby Girls ( Selective), Epping boys, James Ruse ( Number 1 Selective in sydney) , Bulko Hills high etc... :)

Pro
* Not on the main road
* close to W/f and train station
* Hornsby Station is consider one the major station in the north west /hills area
* Nice brick construction
* Low strata given the size of the unit
* North facing
*2 bathrooms!!

* Units ranging from $420,000- $500,000 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom and 100 sq meters is not to bad considering the area, transport and reputation.
* High ceiling.

Con

* Slightly expensive --- $460-465k is more the market price for it's condition
( 3/8 BELLBROOK AVE - Sold for 467k in march 2012... 16/8 WATER ST- sold for $448 in June 2012) + given no more FHOG. --- Hornsby is not a keen investors hub, def a lot more PPOR purchase and FHOG. :eek:

* Not the best rental yield at roughly 5-5.2%

In my eyes; Having the right strategy Or having at least " A strategy" is important, but local knowledge can not be overlooked- every deal has it's merits.... always focus on the property in question and break it down. ;)

Regards
Michael

Lastly ( promise last post :))

The price range split for units in Hornsby is decent, however try to focus on the -lower value scale to be in a better position for CG.

2 bedroom units ( older style) --- range from $420,000-

( 4/73-75 ALBERT ST - oct 2012 ---$420,000) ( 13/54 FLORENCE ST --- Oct 2012 -- $425k) -- ( $415,000 --- Nov 2012 $415k)

TO

$470,000 --- ( 12/16-18 MAY ST --- Nov 2012 -$498k) --

Difference btw the 2 prices- the units are either slightly older ( require some work) OR its only has only 1 bathroom....

Having an extra bathroom, seems to make a $20-30k difference in this area.

2 bedroom units ( new construction) -- Range from $450,000---
( 105/208 PACIFIC HWY--- Nov 2012 - 450k)--- ( 155/208-226 PACIFIC HWY -- Oct 2012 -- 455k)

TO

$540,000

( 22/10-16 FORBES ST -- Dec 2012 - 550k) --

Most of these newer units are on the main road.

I used to live in that street as well. In 1990.

I've no idea which number though. Those numbers ring a bell, but I'm not quite sure.

The unit was long with natural light only at one end, so was a bit depressing.

Thanks Mick C. What this thread has confirmed to me is that most properties being scrutinised for investment will have supporters and detractors.

I will keep you guys updated as I need to sort this out in 2013, anticipating further interest rate drops.

Back