Votes: 62 62.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I'm single

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh gosh now even I am starting a poll !

Recently I've been talking to my wife about buying our next IP in Japan. She is less enthusiastic about that than buying in Oz. Interesting since she IS Japanese. I have to explain some of the basics, etc again since she knows next to nothing about what we are doing.

I guess I'm lucky that she isn't negative about IP, just ignorant. This point we have started to work on slowly with the cashflow games. Then I wondered how many others are doing it alone within their family, from the posts I read I feel the number is large ... so let's find out.

The number of options are intentionally low so as to keep it simple.

Ms. Bear is the most important person on the team. She's the one who keeps me in check!

She's been sick this week so she hasn't been able to do much on our current purchase. At one point I told the agent I'd had a long discussion with my wife...

The actual discussion went like this:

PT_Bear: "I want to offer $xxx,xxx"
Bundle of Donnas and Tissues: "Uhhhh. Whatever."
PT_Bear: "It's okay then?"
Bundle of Doonas and Tissues: "Get cough medicine on your way back."

Dispite this, we're both very excited about it! :) :) :)

No partner yet - still looking, though I'm kinda biased towards a lady who knows her numbers and is interested in Investing herself.

I'd like my future partner to be involved, coz that would be more fun IMHO.

Without my better half, I wouldn't be making decisions as quickly or as effectively. We act as sounding boards for one another, despite getting into some interesting constructive "discussions" at times!

As Acey said, you also need someone to blame when you've lost a file or can't remember where that chequebook went....

It makes the journey so much more fun when your partner is interested in and supportive of your life choices. We are a real team.

"It makes the journey so much more fun when your partner is interested in and supportive of your life choices. We are a real team."

Totally agree Jacque....its just finding the time to talk....usually outside when kids are playing seems to be the best time!!

AceyDucey I love the blame allocation option if there are 2 of you working together. Unfortunately it's me only and sometimes the weight is heavy.

AlwaysLearning I hadn't thought it would be possible to be involved yet NOT supportive. That's an interesting situation, in what ways is she involved ?

Some advantages for having a partner or even a friend helping you:

1) Good cop/bad cop routine - my partner doesn't like it, won't let me spend the money, etc.

2) Have your partner put in a REALLY low offer to condition the vendor, rather than your low offer conditioning the vendor for the next interested party.

Patosan said:
AlwaysLearning I hadn't thought it would be possible to be involved yet NOT supportive. That's an interesting situation, in what ways is she involved ?

Involved as in I do try my best to discuss her what is happening the current status of things. She knows what is happening and "accepted" it, but is not "supportive" of it. ie if it went bad then I would need to accept responsiblity and accept that I would be forced to leave my family.

My wife worries about everything, her mother worries and her grandmother worried, they all worry so much that they cannot act. My wifes aunt worries so much she wont even visit our home becuase she is too worried that such a visit would "make us trouble", or she could "get lost"...sounds funny but she sits at home alone and hasnt come to our house in 3 years now, we have to visit her.

So property investing for the wife is much more acceptable than shares (big time worry), but she would like that no finance was used. Anyway as part of the current development upon completion on of our existing IP's will be removed from any security and we will own it 100%. If it wasnt for the fact that CGT would need to be paid I would transfer it 100% to her name, frame the title certificate and put it on our wall.

Afternoon all,

Supportive, Hmmmm ok in some ways yes and someways no.

I am always the pro-active component when it comes to investing with performing the research and utilise contacts to enhance our chances of getting a standout IP.

Whenever I mention that a little help would be appreciated I am told that "It's been so busy at work I don't have time or am too tired".

Quite scary considering the reason why we are working is to obtain money, if we reinvest accordingly the money can start working for us and we can then escape the notorious rat race (shudder).

If you or your partner don't make this time you may as well be the sheep going to the slaughter house (albeit a 30 year walk along the way).

In saying the above my Wife understands the importance of investing and is willing to take calculated risk to get ahead. Without this understanding it would be virtually impossible to invest without causing rifts.

She is also great at managing details such as the bills and cashflow.

So overall we are a team, just looking at the solution from different ends.

Regards

NAS (I guess you all now know how I came to my Nick Name)

always_learning said:
if it went bad then I would need to accept responsiblity and accept that I would be forced to leave my family.

If an investment went bad you'd have to leave your family? I thought family were the one group of people you could rely on to help you pick yourself back up off the ground and start all over again. Doesnt your wife enjoy the luxuries or opportunities that investing in property can provide for the family? By investing you are securing the future of your family and ensuring you have time to spend with children and grandchildren while the majority of those around you are forced to work till 60 or 65 just to survive.

I just cant fathom how someone would be forced to leave the family if an investment went bad.

Jamie.

Hi
I'm one of the lucky ones.
I try and get the numbers right, my partner helps with just about everything else, in particular all the bills and banking. She found the last one, really good price. :D
I guess if we stuff up, we stuff up, and hopefully do it better next time.
jahn

Puppeteer said:
No partner yet - still looking, though I'm kinda biased towards a lady who knows her numbers and is interested in Investing herself.

hehehe,

That's why I picked my partner up in the chat room attached to the forum...

Pre-approved, so to speak! (Well, definately interested in investing, anyway)...

asy :D :D :D

Jamie said:
I just cant fathom how someone would be forced to leave the family if an investment went bad.
Yup - one of the few things I like about the institution of marriage is that it does make the points:

In sickness & in health, richer or poorer...basically through thick & thin.

Success rarely happens on the first try.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

You're an inspiration asy - I know I regularly go to property investing information nights by myself, and a guy did try to pick me up after one! I guess he figured it was a good choice!! I was very flattered, didn't make hubby jealous at all though, he thought it was funny... sigh.... :rolleyes:
In our situation, hubby is not "involved", as in I do everything, but he does act as a supportive sounding board and do lots of behind the scenes things like replace oven elements or mind kids etc etc, so he's definitely supportive. Doesn't stop him having the occasional fit over things!!

Supportive, but not convinced what we are doing works

Very good at stopping me getting carried away, but worries too much. ;)

My better half is supportive, but not really interested. She loves looking at houses, she loves buying nice stuff, but really has no interest in the financial side of things.

I guess, she's happy for me to provide the lifestyle, whether that be by working or investing is irrelevant from her point of view - as long as neither of us have to work past 45!!

Cheers
J.

JamesGG said:
I guess, she's happy for me to provide the lifestyle, whether that be by working or investing is irrelevant from her point of view - as long as neither of us have to work past 45!!
James,

I'm curious - Do you feel that it's fair that one person have these expectations that another person will provide the lifestyle they want for them?

This is an attitude that sits very uncomfortably with me :)

If my partner was not involved with the activities I do I just cannot see why I would want to stay with them. I don't see any work/life barriers - work and investing is part of life & sharing our lives is what it's about.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
James,

I'm curious - Do you feel that it's fair that one person have these expectations that another person will provide the lifestyle they want for them?

This is an attitude that sits very uncomfortably with me :)

If my partner was not involved with the activities I do I just cannot see why I would want to stay with them. I don't see any work/life barriers - work and investing is part of life & sharing our lives is what it's about.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

It seems to me, the notion of "teamwork" is up to the team to define.

Acey - for me personally, your model is the most appealing. I prefer to be an equal partner in a relationship, but I also acknowledge that in relationships, complementary qualities occur. One partner may be financially savvy, the other may provide non-material qualities to the partnership and it all works as a whole.

I dont know anything about james' relationship, but there may be other qualities that are working for him, that he gets from the partnership and vice versa. Always so hard to tell how things work between people from the outside.... :)

Cheers

oceangirl

Back