ITunes

I have just downloaded itunes to my laptop and want to get some music to take with me as I work at a skating rink on Friday nights.

Can anyone recommend a site that is safe to download music from? We would prefer something that is either free or very cheap to do so, as it is not for personal use and the place where I work won't pay for it. Hubby has had a look at Frostwire, but is concerned that it is not safe and others can access things on your computer.

All peer to peer file sharing programs access your computer, its how they work. But it is safe.

If you don't like that idea, you need to download from itunes store or Amazon something like that.

Do you know what bittorrent is? If you do, thats your best bet. Try Vuze.

http://www.vuze.com/

No, I'm not familiar with bittorrents at all. Hubby was concerned that when sharing, others can access other stuff on the computers like bank statements, passwords etc. If the sites are safe, then I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem.

Usually they only can access the area in your computer where you download from that program. So that others who want it can upload. its a big sharing matrix if you can follow that.

its a bit hard to explain how it works breifly. It is music, movies, software, books, you name it its there.

Heres a quick guide.

Download vuze and install it.
then go to website like www.isohunt.com or the www.thepiratebay.org (which are 2 of many mnay bittorrent sites) and search for what you want on that site.

When you find it, click on the download link and that will start up the vuze program and the download will begin.

Its very fast so watch your bandwidth allowance.

All peer to peer file sharing programs access your computer, its how they work. But it is safe

Skater

I dissagree with the above statement.
Its like opening your house door to strangers to look at your home contents so it isn't safe. If you decide to use such programme remember to configure it so that you don't share all folders on your computer.
Also, you should be aware that a small % of the search results are virus infected files so you need to be aware of what you choose to download and to scan it before opening it.

Usually the file size will tell you if its a real song or a dud.
However, I don't know if piracy is of concern to you but as a person who holds assets it should be, because everything you download these days is traceable.

For personal use you can borrow songs from friends or from your kids or you can ask them to get you what you want but IMO using them in a business evvironment is a risky thing to do.

OK, well, I've downloaded Vuze, then I went to Pirate Bay and downloaded something (you're right, it is quick), but when I tried to import it to itunes, it wouldn't. Am I doing something wrong?

It has to be in the right format to go onto your ipod (is that what you mean by import into itunes?) It has to be mp3. What did you download and what format is it?

Skater

A small % of the search results are virus infected files so you need to be aware of what you choose to download and to scan it before opening it.

However, I don't know if piracy is of concern to you but as a person who holds assets it should be, because everything you download these days is traceable.

For personal use you can borrow songs from friends or from your kids or you can ask them to get you what you want but IMO using them in a business evvironment is a risky thing to do.

The problem is that it is not my Business. I am an employee, but they nickel and dime everything and absolutely will not buy music. The sound system sucks somewhat too, and we rely heavily on stuff that others bring, which is not ideal and is usually a CD that has been pirated, with nothing to let you know what is on it, so you can't tell which songs are not suitable. You really don't want to play stuff full of foul language (which is what some people bring), especially in an environment full of children.

So, I thought that if I could bring my laptop and use a playlist (which is what the commercial rinks do) that I could solve that problem. I only have two kids and one of those is in another State, so borrowing her stuff wouldn't work, besides she doesn't really buy much, and the other buys a lot of boom, boom, boom, dance tracks. Those aren't really suitable. We really need top 40 stuff, which is not what I would pick if I was to purchase for my own personal use.

So....I am happy to pay for stuff myself, so long as it is not too expensive. Paying a couple of $$ for each track really adds up, and would mean that I am working for free as I am only employed for 4 hours per week. We need a wide selection of songs so that we can mix & match depending on the clientelle as well as the ability to put on theme nights, like 70;s, 80's etc.

I am open to any suggestions.

Walking across the road involves risk. LOL

Skater

Its like opening your house door to strangers to look at your home contents so it isn't safe. If you decide to use such programme remember to configure it so that you don't share all folders on your computer.
Also, you should be aware that a small % of the search results are virus infected files so you need to be aware of what you choose to download and to scan it before opening it.

It has to be in the right format to go onto your ipod (is that what you mean by import into itunes?) It has to be mp3. What did you download and what format is it?

Um.....sheesh, I don't know. I deleted it. I'll see if I can find it. When I looked at it in the library it didn't have the little musical symbol on it, so it was probably the wrong thing.

Did you accidentally delete it? Make sure you close vuze completely down when you're not using it. Make sure the vuze icon is not present in your toolbar. If it is, right click on it and select 'exit'.

By the way, the best program to play music, movies etc is this one.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You dont need itunes to play your stuff. I use it only for putting stuff on my ipod. And even then i mostly use a program called sharepod which is much better.

Did you accidentally delete it? Make sure you close vuze completely down when you're not using it. Make sure the vuze icon is not present in your toolbar. If it is, right click on it and select 'exit'.

By the way, the best program to play music, movies etc is this one. You dont need itunes to play your stuff. I use it only for putting stuff on my ipod. And even then i mostly use a program called sharepod which is much better.

Vuze is on my desktop (so I can find it). I didn't have it open when I downloaded, so don't know if I'm supposed to. I just presumed it was some sort of program that once installed makes downloading easier, so didn't even suspect that I would need to open it to use it.

As for the file, no, I purposely deleted it, because it wouldn't open.

I have only heard of itunes, so that is why I used that. I have seen the way the rink in Emu Plains organises all their stuff on that, and thought that it was good, so decided that I would do the same, if I could.

ok, just make sure the music you download is mp3 and you should have no problem storing/playing it in itunes.

And i think there is a section in itunes where you can tell it the formats you want it to play.

Do you think you a little bit paranoid BV?

Why do it and its not even your business? :confused:
The music companies won't go after asset poor people but I'm guessing that people like yourself and evand are worth chasing ....

Why do it and its not even your business? :confused:
The music companies won't go after asset poor people but I'm guessing that people like yourself and evand are worth chasing ....

Like I said, I'm willing to pay a subscription or something, but draw the line at paying a couple of $$ for each track because there is a lot needed to run the place effectively. I feel a bit ripped off that the Community Centre that I work for will not provide what is needed. It is a labour of love really, as my income is minimal and I just enjoy the kids and the skating. I am sooooo over the constant struggle to provide music.

Back